Rinboot after mainboard changed - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Rinboot after mainboard changed - Mandrake ; Dear all! I am running Mandrake Community 10.1 on one of my machines. Everything works fine, but the mainboard in that pc doesn't support as much ram as I'd like to have. So I need to replace the mainboard. Up ...

  1. Rinboot after mainboard changed

    Dear all!

    I am running Mandrake Community 10.1 on one of my machines.
    Everything works fine, but the mainboard in that pc doesn't support as
    much ram as I'd like to have. So I need to replace the mainboard.

    Up to now this a Gigabyte 586ATS, together with a Cyrix 200MHz cpu.
    See below.

    I switching to two different mainboards from Gigabyte, first I tried a
    586 TX3 and afterwards I tried a 586 T2, each together with an intel
    pentium 233mmx and afterwards an amd K2 300MHz.

    When switching the machine on again, the BIOS of the mainboard is
    this point everything seems to be normal.

    But in the moment when the kernel is being unpacked to be loaded and
    executed, the system makes a reboot, just as if someone pressed the
    reset button.

    This procedure is repeating endlessly.

    Well, I still try to avoid having to reinstall everything, but a
    colleague told me that perhaps the installation procedure installed a
    kernel version which is tailormade for cyrix processors and thus
    refusing to run on an intel or amd cpu?!

    Could this be true? Any idea what to do in that case?

    Thankx in advance,
    best regards,

    /*----------------------------------------------------------------------

    [root@linux boot]# cat /etc/release
    Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community) for i586

    [root@linux boot]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : CyrixInstead
    cpu family : 6
    model : 2
    model name : M II 2.5x Core/Bus Clock
    stepping : 8
    cpu MHz : 165.777
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu de tsc msr cx8 pge cmov mmx cyrix_arr
    bogomips : 325.63

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

    --
    Please reply to group only.
    For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

  2. Re: Rinboot after mainboard changed

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:19:40 -0400, Markus R. Ke▀ler wrote:

    > I am running Mandrake Community 10.1 on one of my machines.

    I'm sure you know that support for 10.1 ended a long time ago.

    Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) is releasing 2009.0 tomorrow.

    > Could this be true? Any idea what to do in that case?
    > [root@linux boot]# cat /etc/release
    > Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community) for i586

    No. While you could custom compile a kernel for a specific cpu, the
    Mandrake/Mandriva installer doesn't. Try passing the kernel option
    "acpi=off", to see if that fixes the problem.

    I'd wait a few days then download the 2009 Fall dvd (not the one version)
    from http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

    You'll find more people using the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva. Articles
    posted here are pretty rare now.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Ringboot after mainboard changed

    Hi Dave!

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:34:34 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:19:40 -0400, Markus R. Ke▀ler wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Mandrake Community 10.1 on one of my machines.

    >I'm sure you know that support for 10.1 ended a long time ago.
    >Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) is releasing 2009.0 tomorrow.

    Yes, I know about it. I already got and installed Mandriva, but on
    this machine I'd like to keep this older version.

    >> Could this be true? Any idea what to do in that case?
    >> [root@linux boot]# cat /etc/release
    >> Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community) for i586

    >No. While you could custom compile a kernel for a specific cpu, the
    >Mandrake/Mandriva installer doesn't. Try passing the kernel option
    >"acpi=off", to see if that fixes the problem.

    You mean to append this option to the lilo.conf?

    # File generated by DrakX/drakboot
    # WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

    default="linux"
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    keytable=/boot/de-latin1.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=20
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="failsafe"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 devfs=nomount"
    read-only
    password="nihilexnihilo"

    Any other suggestions for the case, that this doesn't solve the
    problem?

    Well, I think it is very suspicious that this occurs with multiple
    mainboards except the one with the Cyrix processor...

    Thanks again, best regards,

    Markus

    --
    Please reply to group only.
    For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

  4. Re: Ringboot after mainboard changed

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:21:33 -0400, Markus R. Ke▀ler wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:34:34 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
    > wrote:
    >>Mandrake/Mandriva installer doesn't. Try passing the kernel option
    >>"acpi=off", to see if that fixes the problem.

    > You mean to append this option to the lilo.conf?
    > append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

    Yes, or you can also pass it at boot time. On a processor that doesn't
    support hyper-threading, acpi=ht should be the same as acpi=off, so
    that doesn't seem to be a workaround that's going to work.

    Try append="devfs=nomount acpi=off apic=off lapic=off".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Ringboot after mainboard changed

    On Friday 10 October 2008 20:16, someone identifying as *David W. Hodgins*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandrake:/

    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:21:33 -0400, Markus R. Ke├čler
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:34:34 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mandrake/Mandriva installer doesn't. Try passing the kernel option
    >>> "acpi=off", to see if that fixes the problem.

    >> You mean to append this option to the lilo.conf?
    >> append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

    > Yes, or you can also pass it at boot time. On a processor that doesn't
    > support hyper-threading, acpi=ht should be the same as acpi=off, so
    > that doesn't seem to be a workaround that's going to work.
    >
    > Try append="devfs=nomount acpi=off apic=off lapic=off".

    Ehm, Dave, that should more correctly be....

    append="devfs=nomount acpi=off noapic nolapic"

    As far as I know, the last two options you wrote here do not exist. Just a
    FYI. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  6. Re: Ringboot after mainboard changed

    Hi Dave,

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:16:44 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:21:33 -0400, Markus R. Ke▀ler wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:34:34 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
    >> wrote:
    >>>Mandrake/Mandriva installer doesn't. Try passing the kernel option
    >>>"acpi=off", to see if that fixes the problem.

    >> You mean to append this option to the lilo.conf?
    >> append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

    >Yes, or you can also pass it at boot time. On a processor that doesn't
    >support hyper-threading, acpi=ht should be the same as acpi=off, so
    >that doesn't seem to be a workaround that's going to work.
    >
    >Try append="devfs=nomount acpi=off apic=off lapic=off".

    I tried it but without success. So, finally, I booted from the
    installation cd and made a "system upgrade" - just to see what the
    installation procedure will change.

    Obviously there are different kernel versions - the kernel for Cyrix
    differs from the one for intel. - As soon as I'll have the time I'd
    like to see if the one for Intel also supports AMD.

    Well, during system update the installation procedure created a new
    kernel and wrote a new entry to /etc/lilo.conf.

    I adapted it to get a working conf file with 2 entries, one for
    default booting and one for "failsafe":

    # # File generated by DrakX/drakboot
    # # WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file
    #
    # default="linux-i586-up-1GB"
    # boot=/dev/hda
    # map=/boot/map
    # keytable=/boot/de-latin1.klt
    # prompt
    # nowarn
    # timeout=20
    # message=/boot/message
    # menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    # image=/boot/vmlinuz-i586-up-1GB
    # label="linux-i586-up-1GB"
    # root=/dev/hda1
    # initrd=/boot/initrd-i586-up-1GB.img
    # append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"
    # read-only
    # image=/boot/vmlinuz-i586-up-1GB
    # label="failsafe"
    # root=/dev/hda1
    # initrd=/boot/initrd-i586-up-1GB.img
    # append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 devfs=nomount"
    # password="nemoscit"
    # read-only

    It is still not clear to me, why the new kernel is called "up-1GB" - I
    testes the new mainboard carrying the Intel processor together with
    exactly the same amount of ram as I had together with the Cyrix
    processor, but it also refused to work.

    Well, at least it works now and it was an exciting experiment ;-)

    Thanks again,
    best regards,

    Markus

    --
    Please reply to group only.
    For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

  7. Re: Ringboot after mainboard changed

    On Sunday 12 October 2008 01:48, someone identifying as *Markus R. Ke▀ler*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandrake:/

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:16:44 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:21:33 -0400, Markus R. Ke├čler
    >> wrote:

    >>> You mean to append this option to the lilo.conf?
    >>> append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

    >> Yes, or you can also pass it at boot time. On a processor that doesn't
    >> support hyper-threading, acpi=ht should be the same as acpi=off, so
    >> that doesn't seem to be a workaround that's going to work.
    >>
    >> Try append="devfs=nomount acpi=off apic=off lapic=off".

    > I tried it but without success.

    The last two options were incorrect - see my reply to Dave.

    > So, finally, I booted from the installation cd and made a "system upgrade"
    > - just to see what the installation procedure will change.
    >
    > Obviously there are different kernel versions - the kernel for Cyrix
    > differs from the one for intel. - As soon as I'll have the time I'd
    > like to see if the one for Intel also supports AMD.

    You have to be careful here as some Cyrix processors that were sold as i586
    were actually i486 processors internally but were intended to fit in i586
    motherboard sockets, and so the i586 code won't work on them.

    Unfortunately I don't remember any details, though. Perhaps you can find
    more information about this subject on Tom's Hardware Page.

    > Well, during system update the installation procedure created a new
    > kernel and wrote a new entry to /etc/lilo.conf.

    It didn't create kernel, it installed it. ;-)

    > I adapted it to get a working conf file with 2 entries, one for
    > default booting and one for "failsafe":
    >

    > # # File generated by DrakX/drakboot
    > # # WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file
    > #
    > # default="linux-i586-up-1GB"
    > # boot=/dev/hda
    > # map=/boot/map
    > # keytable=/boot/de-latin1.klt
    > # prompt
    > # nowarn
    > # timeout=20
    > # message=/boot/message
    > # menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    > # image=/boot/vmlinuz-i586-up-1GB
    > # label="linux-i586-up-1GB"
    > # root=/dev/hda1
    > # initrd=/boot/initrd-i586-up-1GB.img
    > # append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"
    > # read-only
    > # image=/boot/vmlinuz-i586-up-1GB
    > # label="failsafe"
    > # root=/dev/hda1
    > # initrd=/boot/initrd-i586-up-1GB.img
    > # append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 devfs=nomount"
    > # password="nemoscit"
    > # read-only
    >

    > It is still not clear to me, why the new kernel is called "up-1GB" [...

    Uniprocessor kernel with support for 1 GB of RAM. In other words, it
    doesn't have symmetric multiprocessing/multithreading/multicore support and
    it's a 32-bit kernel that doesn't support the full 4 GB addressable by
    32-bit.

    > ...] - I testes the new mainboard carrying the Intel processor together
    > with exactly the same amount of ram as I had together with the Cyrix
    > processor, but it also refused to work.

    "Refused to work" is too vague a description, I'm afraid. More detailed
    help requires more detailed information from the person requesting the
    help. :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  8. Re: Ringboot after mainboard changed

    On Sunday 12 October 2008 19:05, someone identifying as *Markus R. Ke▀ler*

    http://www.tomshardware.com

    >>> Well, during system update the installation procedure created a new
    >>> kernel and wrote a new entry to /etc/lilo.conf.

    >>It didn't create kernel, it installed it. ;-)

    > Maybe, I just didn't find an "arsenal" of installable kernels on the
    > installation cd. Also, in the source directory on the linux box some
    > header and other files had changed. So, this was my assumption :-)

    A kernel is not created from scratch. It must be configured and then built.
    The Mandriva guys do that for you, and in the process they add some patches
    to them which add features not found in the vanilla kernel as it comes from
    Linus Torvalds & friends. Some of these may be experimental, while others
    are backported patches from a later vanilla kernel.

    > [..]
    >
    >>> ...] - I testes the new mainboard carrying the Intel processor together
    >>> with exactly the same amount of ram as I had together with the Cyrix
    >>> processor, but it also refused to work.

    >>"Refused to work" is too vague a description, I'm afraid. More detailed
    >>help requires more detailed information from the person requesting the
    >>help. :-)

    > Not only the Cyrix, but also the AMD processor made a reset just in
    > the moment when the kernel was uncompressed and loaded into memory.
    > I.e., after lilo was invoked and the selection was done, for instance
    > there was a message like:

    > # Bios date check sucessful

    Could be an incompatibility of some sorts with the motherboard chipset or
    possibly even the hard disk controller. There used to be some problems
    with certain VIA chipsets, but I don't recall the details.

    > Just one second later the VGA card's BIOS appeared and everything was
    > repeated from the beginining - "ringboot" ;-)

    I'd run a diagnostic on that motherboard if I were you. Try by
    running /memtest86/ first. It's a kernel image that tests your RAM. Let
    it run for at least a whole day.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: Ringboot after mainboard changed

    Hi Aragorn,

    thanks for your hints!

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 14:55:53 +0200, Aragorn
    wrote:

    [..]
    >>> Try append="devfs=nomount acpi=off apic=off lapic=off".

    >> I tried it but without success.

    >The last two options were incorrect - see my reply to Dave.

    Thanks, I already saw it and used the corrected command line.

    >Unfortunately I don't remember any details, though. Perhaps you can find
    >more information about this subject on Tom's Hardware Page.

    Could you give a hint where to find this page?

    >> Well, during system update the installation procedure created a new
    >> kernel and wrote a new entry to /etc/lilo.conf.

    >It didn't create kernel, it installed it. ;-)

    Maybe, I just didn't find an "arsenal" of installable kernels on the
    installation cd. Also, in the source directory on the linux box some
    header and other files had changed. So, this was my assumption :-)

    [..]

    >> ...] - I testes the new mainboard carrying the Intel processor together
    >> with exactly the same amount of ram as I had together with the Cyrix
    >> processor, but it also refused to work.

    >"Refused to work" is too vague a description, I'm afraid. More detailed
    >help requires more detailed information from the person requesting the
    >help. :-)

    Not only the Cyrix, but also the AMD processor made a reset just in
    the moment when the kernel was uncompressed and loaded into memory.
    I.e., after lilo was invoked and the selection was done, for instance
    there was a message like:

    # Bios date check sucessful

    Just one second later the VGA card's BIOS appeared and everything was
    repeated from the beginining - "ringboot" ;-)

    Best regards,

    Markus

    --
    Please reply to group only.
    For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

  10. Re: Ringboot after mainboard changed

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:05:28 -0400, Markus R. Ke▀ler wrote:

    > there was a message like:

    > # Bios date check sucessful

    That would have been "Bios data check ..."

    > Just one second later the VGA card's BIOS appeared and everything was
    > repeated from the beginining - "ringboot" ;-)

    Just tried booting with vga=ask, to slow things down. The first message
    after the bios data check relates to probing the edd, with a message
    to use edd=off, to disable.

    From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters ...
    EDD BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive Services (EDD) is enabled
    edd= [EDD]
    Format: {"off" | "on" | "skip[mbr]"}

    Try edd=off.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins