How to update mandrake 10.1 official? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on How to update mandrake 10.1 official? - Mandrake ; hello, i bought mandrake 10.1 offical pwerpack a couple of years back. i am now installing it onto my laptop. since this was released - obviously the packages that i use like bash, gnome, g++ etc have all been updated! ...

  1. How to update mandrake 10.1 official?

    hello, i bought mandrake 10.1 offical pwerpack a couple of years back. i
    am now installing it onto my laptop. since this was released - obviously
    the packages that i use like bash, gnome, g++ etc have all been updated!

    Is there a easy & reliable way that:

    1. i can get my system updated?

    and

    2. can i get all the sources for the stuff i install?

    thanks

  2. Re: How to update mandrake 10.1 official?

    On 2008-09-07, NVangogh wrote:
    > hello, i bought mandrake 10.1 offical pwerpack a couple of years back.

    More like four years?

    > am now installing it onto my laptop. since this was released - obviously
    > the packages that i use like bash, gnome, g++ etc have all been updated!

    The whole thing is very outdated. Even the name and numbering of the
    distro has changed: the current version is Mandriva 2008.1

    You'll now find the distro's web site at - and
    this newsgroup has been superceded by alt.os.linux.mandriva where you'll
    find many more people hanging out than here.

    I've cross-posted this reply to the new group, and set the Followup-To
    there as well.

    > Is there a easy & reliable way that:
    >
    > 1. i can get my system updated?

    To the extent that you can still get all the 'updates' that were issued
    before such support for your old version ceased, yes you can. Go to
    and follow the instructions. But you'll
    still have a seriously outdated system, lacking all the most recent
    security and bug fixes.

    > and
    >
    > 2. can i get all the sources for the stuff i install?
    >
    > thanks

    For the packages which are 'Open Source' you can certainly get the source
    code; either from Mandriva or from the maintainer of the particular program
    - try Sourceforge for a start.

    The best advice in your position would probably be to get the latest
    version of Mandriva and install that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  3. Re: How to update mandrake 10.1 official?

    On 7 Sep 2008 12:40:36 +0100, NVangogh wrote:
    > hello, i bought mandrake 10.1 offical pwerpack a couple of years back. i
    > am now installing it onto my laptop.

    How sad. You are missing 2006.x, 2007.x, 2008.1 and 2008.1

    http://www.mandriva.com/en/mandriva-...ifetime-policy

    > since this was released - obviously
    > the packages that i use like bash, gnome, g++ etc have all been updated!

    Not to mention tons and tons of security updates you need to install.

    > Is there a easy & reliable way that:
    >
    > 1. i can get my system updated?

    Yes.
    Format and do a clean install of 2008.1

    > and
    >
    > 2. can i get all the sources for the stuff i install?

    That would be a quite a lot of reading, and I am pretty sure a waste
    of time based on what you have asked so far.

    Look around in the mirrors for /official/2008.1/SRPMS/

    Mirror name/servers found at http://easyurpmi.zarb.org or
    http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/

  4. Re: How to update mandrake 10.1 official?

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Main_Page

    > and
    >
    > 2. can i get all the sources for the stuff i install?

    After installing the new system, set up your mirrors for
    obtaining additional software and updates. Source code is available
    for most software, but some is proprietary or otherwise subject to
    intellectual property rights and may not be legally available to you.

    FWIW, I would recommend installing the new OS to a newly formatted
    partition(s) and copying over user files you wish to keep. Backup
    your system, and make sure backups are readable, before starting.

    Oh yes, you will need a minimum of 256MB RAM. If you are still at
    10.1, you may have less.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: How to update mandrake 10.1 official?

    NVangogh writes:

    >hello, i bought mandrake 10.1 offical pwerpack a couple of years back. i
    >am now installing it onto my laptop. since this was released - obviously
    >the packages that i use like bash, gnome, g++ etc have all been updated!

    DONT DO IT. That is back at the 2005 level and lots has changed. It lost
    its support ages ago. The official updates stopped about 2 years ago.

    >Is there a easy & reliable way that:

    >1. i can get my system updated?

    Yes. Install 2008.1 instead.

    >and

    >2. can i get all the sources for the stuff i install?

    Yes.

    >thanks

  6. Re: How to update mandrake 10.1 official?

    NVangogh wrote:

    > hello, i bought mandrake 10.1 offical pwerpack a couple of years back. i
    > am now installing it onto my laptop. since this was released - obviously
    > the packages that i use like bash, gnome, g++ etc have all been updated!
    >
    > Is there a easy & reliable way that:
    >
    > 1. i can get my system updated?
    >
    > and
    >
    > 2. can i get all the sources for the stuff i install?
    >
    > thanks

    Hello,

    Welcome back to the future man!

    Go to http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ to choose a mirror in your
    neighborhood in order to get the newest version of MDV.
    If you wait 6-8 weeks you could get 2009.0 coming soon or try 2008.1.

    MDV keeps updates for 18 months after distro release. Past this time you'll
    have to upgrade or compile yourself. Using cooker is pretty risky...

    Ciao @+

+ Reply to Thread