Re: CPU over heating! Please help! - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Re: CPU over heating! Please help! - Mandrake ; Chris Cox wrote: > Not me wrote: >> Sorry had to repost, I wrote down the wrong addy... >> >> Has anybody ran into this same problem?? >> >> I just installed the ACX100sta drivers for my DWL-650+ PCMCIA to ...

  1. Re: CPU over heating! Please help!

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Not me wrote:
    >> Sorry had to repost, I wrote down the wrong addy...
    >>
    >> Has anybody ran into this same problem??
    >>
    >> I just installed the ACX100sta drivers for my DWL-650+ PCMCIA to be
    >> detected
    >> in Mandrake 9.1.... it works by detecting BUT it is (or something is
    >> anyways) causing my cpu to over heat. It says it running between the
    >> range
    >> of 98-99 and my fan is always on high blowing out hotair.

    > Uhhh... if the fan is on full blast AND the machine overheats,
    > then this clearly broken HW or a broken design.
    >
    > Now, it is a well known problem that some newer laptops don't
    > like the Linux acpi implementation and won't run their fan
    > at all... in those cases, often times you can revert back
    > to just apm and the fan will return.

    When your cpu over heats it is a clear sign that you need to take your
    computer to the PC shop to have them clean it out with an anti static
    cleaner, o ryou can use you average house hold vacuum clean (not
    recommended due to damage from possible electrostatic discharge).
    As always you should use a grounding mat and a anti static wrist strap
    when work inside a computer case, It is highly recommended that you do
    not keep your computer chassis on the floor , due to dust (I.E> keep
    thoes chassis on your desk and don't prohibit air from flowing through
    the vents) Do not by any means lay a tower chassis on edge as this could
    result in read errors from your cd dvd read/writer.

    Thanks,

    Linux-Hawk

  2. Re: CPU over heating! Please help!

    i had a problem with my new install yesterday where i had closed the
    laptop cover and was awakened several hours later by the computers fan
    howling away. it seems the laptop did not go to sleep when i shut the lid
    and it overheated. until i figure out the problem i will have to shut it
    down completley and reboot when i need to use it again.

  3. Re: CPU over heating! Please help!

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 20:45:56 -0500, terrible James passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > i had a problem with my new install yesterday where i had closed the
    > laptop cover and was awakened several hours later by the computers fan
    > howling away. it seems the laptop did not go to sleep when i shut the
    > lid and it overheated. until i figure out the problem i will have to
    > shut it down completley and reboot when i need to use it again.

    I used to get that problem with Windows all the time. I don't get it on
    my CF-29 with Ubuntu. Not ever.