Reinstall package? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Reinstall package? - Mandrake ; Mandriva 2008.1 I am having big problems witk gnome-panel application. Is there a way to reinstall this app using urpmi, so that all previous configuration scripts for all users are deleted, and application is "clean-installed". Thank you. PS Gnome-panel crashes ...

  1. Reinstall package?

    Mandriva 2008.1

    I am having big problems witk gnome-panel application.

    Is there a way to reinstall this app using urpmi, so that all previous
    configuration scripts for all users are deleted, and application is
    "clean-installed".

    Thank you.

    PS Gnome-panel crashes on logon, (as user and as root),

    Fbpanel works ok....

  2. Re: Reinstall package?

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:59:12 +0200, Lovrenco Vladislavic wrote:

    > Is there a way to reinstall this app using urpmi, so that all previous
    > configuration scripts for all users are deleted, and application is
    > "clean-installed".

    Usually package add/remove does not remove user's files.

    No reason that you cannot get to their account as root and remove
    the user's files. You will also remove application data.
    You can just rename the directories if you want to recover files.
    You do someting like
    mv .gconf .gconf_broke
    Removal commands would be something like

    cd /home/bittwister

    ls -da .g*
    ..gconf .gconfd .gnome2 .gnome2_private .gstreamer-0.10 .gtk-bookmarks

    /bin/rm -r .gconf .gconfd .gnome2 .gnome2_private .gstreamer-0.10 .gtk-bookmarks

    The directories will be recreated when the user logs in again.

+ Reply to Thread