Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem - Mandrake ; Can someone please tell me how to make mandriva gnome firefox to print in pdf? I know that on KDE kdeprint does its job perfect, Ubuntu has cups-pdf and i can get any of this to work. Please help Lovrenco...

  1. Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    Can someone please tell me how to make mandriva gnome firefox to print in
    pdf?

    I know that on KDE kdeprint does its job perfect, Ubuntu has cups-pdf and i
    can get any of this to work. Please help

    Lovrenco

  2. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:07:43 -0400, Lovrenco Vladislavic wrote:

    > Can someone please tell me how to make mandriva gnome firefox to print in
    > pdf?
    > I know that on KDE kdeprint does its job perfect, Ubuntu has cups-pdf and i
    > can get any of this to work. Please help

    I'm not clear on what you are trying to do.

    Are you trying to take the image of a website's page, and convert it into a
    pdf file?

    You'll find a lot more people using the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva,
    so you may want to repost the question there, with more detail on what
    you are trying to acomplish.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:07:43 -0400, Lovrenco Vladislavic wrote:

    >> Can someone please tell me how to make mandriva gnome firefox to print in
    >> pdf?

    Printers do not print in pdf, printers accept in all kinds of languages
    (postscript is closest to pdf)
    However you might be asking how to convert a web page to a pdf file.

    >> I know that on KDE kdeprint does its job perfect, Ubuntu has cups-pdf and i
    >> can get any of this to work. Please help

    If you can get them to work, why not use them? Or did you mean "I cannot
    get any of this to work?" If not tell us in detail what you tried.

    >I'm not clear on what you are trying to do.

    >Are you trying to take the image of a website's page, and convert it into a
    >pdf file?

    >You'll find a lot more people using the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva,
    >so you may want to repost the question there, with more detail on what
    >you are trying to acomplish.

    Agreed

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  4. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    Lovrenco Vladislavic

    trolled:

    > Can someone please tell me how to make mandriva gnome firefox to print in
    > pdf?
    >
    > I know that on KDE kdeprint does its job perfect, Ubuntu has cups-pdf and
    > i can get any of this to work. Please help
    >
    > Lovrenco

    hello too...

  5. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    F8BOE wrote:

    > Lovrenco Vladislavic

    > trolled:

    Oh I disagree... ;-) Just because someone posts from a Wintendo box doesn't
    mean they're trolling... ;-) They might only be able to post to Usenet
    when at work, and as it just so sadly still happens to be, Crimosoft
    Bloatware is still the most prevalent operating system on corporate office
    PC's.

    His question seems quite legitimate to me, but I believe David W. Hodgins
    and Bill Unruh have already addressed the issue on hand, so I'm not going
    to reinvent the wheel in this thread. I don't use Gnome anyway. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  6. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    Problem solved,

    I used cups-pdf fedora rpm package, wich works like charm and spits to
    desktop (default setting)....
    Reason why I posting from OE Wintel is matter of business nature.

    My box is dual boot, but I use Win mainly, because of internet banking
    drivers... which doesn't work under Linux....

  7. Re: [OT] Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:01:59 +0200, Lovrenco Vladislavic wrote:

    > My box is dual boot, but I use Win mainly, because of internet banking
    > drivers... which doesn't work under Linux....

    Change banks. I have been able to bank at Bank of America, Wellsfargo,
    and Chase using Mandriva Linux. Had to give Chase's out sourced stock
    company a hard time about being able to have access to my pfd'ed
    information. I had no problem with viewing Chase account pfd files why would
    the stock pdf be a problem.

    Temp workaround was to fake out their test for a windows browser and
    app name.

    Get into browser, put about:config in the URL box,
    Put general.useragent.security in filter box
    right click result Value, pick modify and add
    ;compatible; MSIE 7.0
    to end of U and hit OK.

    For sites testing for Mozilla as application name:
    right click,
    New->String
    general.appname.override
    Mozilla

  8. Re: [OT] Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:56:32 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Temp workaround was to fake out their test for a windows browser and
    > app name.
    >
    > Get into browser, put about:config in the URL box,
    > Put general.useragent.security in filter box
    > right click result Value, pick modify and add
    > ;compatible; MSIE 7.0
    > to end of U and hit OK.

    Even better: download the "User Agent Switcher" plugin for Firefox, and
    everything is changed (not permanently) with a click of the mouse.

    Ciao, Mauro

  9. Re: [OT] Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    Tnx for advice and intresting add-on,

    But, I was talking about drivers for bank chip-card reader, they are not
    available for linux...

    But thanks anyway

    Lovrenco

  10. Re: [OT] Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:17:32 +0200, Lovrenco Vladislavic wrote:
    > Tnx for advice and intresting add-on,
    >
    > But, I was talking about drivers for bank chip-card reader, they are not
    > available for linux...

    Have you looked here
    http://www.aquamaniac.de/sites/libchipcard/index.php

  11. Re: [OT] Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome pdf printing problem

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:57:38 +0200, Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:56:32 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >>> Temp workaround was to fake out their test for a windows browser and
    >>> app name.
    >>>
    >>> Get into browser, put about:config in the URL box,
    >>> Put general.useragent.security in filter box
    >>> right click result Value, pick modify and add
    >>> ;compatible; MSIE 7.0
    >>> to end of U and hit OK.

    >> Even better: download the "User Agent Switcher" plugin for Firefox, and
    >> everything is changed (not permanently) with a click of the mouse.

    > True, but installing plugins is a security problem if you cannot get
    > the source and verify it has no holes.

    If you use konqueror, i think it is easy to change the browser
    identification easily without any plugin. Just go to Tools on the main
    menu.

    The problem with Firefox, is that it does not have so flexible user
    interface. In Opera, i think you can specify a printer command, and then
    you can just write kprinter.

    In Firefox, you can print to a postscript file. I guess you might find any
    command to transfere it to pdf later.

    The easiest way, might be to use konqueror, if you want to print to pdf.

    If you have any reason to run Internet Explorer, it is usually easy to
    install it under Linux and run it under wine. Just ask google:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ies4linux+mandriva

+ Reply to Thread