Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10 - Mandrake ; On 2008-04-05, Bit Twister wrote: > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:49:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote: >> >> I would install 2008.0, or wait a month, and then install 2008.1. > > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Development schedule suggests > Official Public Release ...

  1. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On 2008-04-05, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:49:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>
    >> I would install 2008.0, or wait a month, and then install 2008.1.

    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Development schedule suggests
    > Official Public Release 09/04/2008
    >
    > A month may be optimistic, if you go to

    Well, it's been released, and it was much less than a month

  2. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On 10 Apr 2008 23:02:31 GMT, nicolas vigier wrote:
    > On 2008-04-05, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:49:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I would install 2008.0, or wait a month, and then install 2008.1.

    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Development schedule suggests
    >> Official Public Release 09/04/2008
    >>
    >> A month may be optimistic, if you go to

    > Well, it's been released, and it was much less than a month

    I hear you. I was commenting on a release with the bugs fixed.

    I clicked Ok after setting a global in Software Management and it
    crashes. Without the submit bug report no less. I had reported the
    crash back in Beta.

  3. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:02:31 -0400, nicolas vigier wrote:

    > Well, it's been released, and it was much less than a month

    Unless you like trouble shooting, it's probably a good idea to wait
    a couple of weeks, for any major problems to get found/fixed.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:19:12 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Unless you like trouble shooting, it's probably a good idea to wait
    > a couple of weeks, for any major problems to get found/fixed.

    I was impressed when I found out the mirror data (main, updates..) had
    not been released with the isos.

    That was the first time that I have seen that.

  5. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:19:12 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> Unless you like trouble shooting, it's probably a good idea to wait
    >> a couple of weeks, for any major problems to get found/fixed.

    > I was impressed when I found out the mirror data (main, updates..) had
    > not been released with the isos.
    >
    > That was the first time that I have seen that.

    The Mandriva mailing lists have had traffic dealing with mirrors
    not loaded with the new repositories at the time of official
    release. This apparently has been a problem in times past as
    well, and one that Mandriva is somewhat notorious for.

    I have donated roughly $100 to the Mandriva cause, and will
    wait 3 or 4 weeks for a PowerPack Box to arrive. At that
    point, I should be able to install from DVD, update from
    mirrors, and be good to go!

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --