Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10 - Mandrake ; And therefor i will reinstall it. Why ? Because it is the only system which supports my ati rage Mach64 mobility card, and is faster than what other poor guys obtain when they have luck, after heavy compiling and sweeting. ...

  1. Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    And therefor i will reinstall it.

    Why ?

    Because it is the only system which supports my ati rage Mach64
    mobility card, and is faster than what other poor guys obtain when
    they have luck, after heavy compiling and sweeting.

    When they have luck they compile everything an 1/2 get the thing
    works. Then he gets 200 fps, sometimes 300, very seldom. I get 317.
    ANd i need 1/4 h to install the driver without compiling anything.
    They need years and a bug report for Ubuntu. And lots of
    disappointment.

    I have no choice than maintaining a partition with good old mandrake
    9.1.

  2. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:31:27 -0400, wrote:

    > I have no choice than maintaining a partition with good old mandrake
    > 9.1.

    That version has been out of support for years. See
    http://www.mandriva.com/archives/en/...tlifetime.html
    for the currently supported versions, and when support ends for them.

    I would install 2008.0, or wait a month, and then install 2008.1.

    Also, this newsgroup is pretty much dead, as Mandrake changed the
    company and distribution name to Mandriva. You'll find many more
    people using alt.os.linux.mandriva.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:49:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > I would install 2008.0, or wait a month, and then install 2008.1.

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Development schedule suggests
    Official Public Release 09/04/2008

    A month may be optimistic, if you go to
    https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi
    Under Other Options:
    Click View bugs reported today
    click Edit Search
    and put 20080401 in the YYYMMMDD box under
    Bug Changes
    Only bugs changed between:

    and see what has been reported.

  4. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 14:31:27 -0700, lisztnet wrote:

    > And therefor i will reinstall it.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > Because it is the only system which supports my ati rage Mach64 mobility
    > card, and is faster than what other poor guys obtain when they have
    > luck, after heavy compiling and sweeting.
    >
    > When they have luck they compile everything an 1/2 get the thing works.
    > Then he gets 200 fps, sometimes 300, very seldom. I get 317. ANd i need
    > 1/4 h to install the driver without compiling anything. They need years
    > and a bug report for Ubuntu. And lots of disappointment.
    >
    > I have no choice than maintaining a partition with good old mandrake
    > 9.1.

    If that' your only frame of reference, then go for it! Personally, I run a
    fully optimized Gentoo on my mini-itx - I'm quite pleased with the
    performance compared to every 'out of the box' distro I've tried.

  5. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On 6 avr, 02:33, ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 14:31:27 -0700, lisztnet wrote:
    > > And therefor i will reinstall it.

    > > Why ?

    > > Because it is the only system which supports my ati rage Mach64 mobility
    > > card, and is faster than what other poor guys obtain when they have
    > > luck, after heavy compiling and sweeting.

    > > When they have luck they compile everything an 1/2 get the thing works.
    > > Then he gets 200 fps, sometimes 300, very seldom. I get 317. ANd i need
    > > 1/4 h to install the driver without compiling anything. They need years
    > > and a bug report for Ubuntu. And lots of disappointment.

    > > I have no choice than maintaining a partition with good old mandrake
    > > 9.1.

    > If that' your only frame of reference, then go for it! Personally, I run a
    > fully optimized Gentoo on my mini-itx - I'm quite pleased with the
    > performance compared to every 'out of the box' distro I've tried.

    I would like right now a linux with DRI support for Ati mach64
    mobility card which i could install from iso, because i have no
    cdrom.

    Mandriva dropped support for this card in one kernel, then rebuild the
    support, so 2007 should be good, 2008 not sure.

    I wonder if i could install a mandriva one-spring 2007 without cdrom ?
    and i need a speedtouch 330 modem to going to work too.

  6. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr writes:

    >On 6 avr, 02:33, ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 14:31:27 -0700, lisztnet wrote:
    >> > And therefor i will reinstall it.

    >> > Why ?

    >> > Because it is the only system which supports my ati rage Mach64 mobility
    >> > card, and is faster than what other poor guys obtain when they have
    >> > luck, after heavy compiling and sweeting.

    >> > When they have luck they compile everything an 1/2 get the thing works.
    >> > Then he gets 200 fps, sometimes 300, very seldom. I get 317. ANd i need
    >> > 1/4 h to install the driver without compiling anything. They need years
    >> > and a bug report for Ubuntu. And lots of disappointment.

    >> > I have no choice than maintaining a partition with good old mandrake
    >> > 9.1.

    >> If that' your only frame of reference, then go for it! Personally, I run a
    >> fully optimized Gentoo on my mini-itx - I'm quite pleased with the
    >> performance compared to every 'out of the box' distro I've tried.

    >I would like right now a linux with DRI support for Ati mach64
    >mobility card which i could install from iso, because i have no
    >cdrom.

    >Mandriva dropped support for this card in one kernel, then rebuild the
    >support, so 2007 should be good, 2008 not sure.

    >I wonder if i could install a mandriva one-spring 2007 without cdrom ?
    >and i need a speedtouch 330 modem to going to work too.

    Over a modem? No, it would take weeks. Buy yourself a cdrom.
    You could do it over a real network (ethernet, even wireless).

  7. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr writes:

    > And therefor i will reinstall it.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > Because it is the only system which supports my ati rage Mach64
    > mobility card, and is faster than what other poor guys obtain when
    > they have luck, after heavy compiling and sweeting.
    >
    > When they have luck they compile everything an 1/2 get the thing
    > works. Then he gets 200 fps, sometimes 300, very seldom. I get 317.
    > ANd i need 1/4 h to install the driver without compiling anything.
    > They need years and a bug report for Ubuntu. And lots of
    > disappointment.
    >
    > I have no choice than maintaining a partition with good old mandrake
    > 9.1.

    :-)

    Mdk 9.1 was my first Linux...

    But shouldn't your subject line read "Mandrake 9.1 is better..."?

    --
    Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
    show their worth by hitting back."

  8. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 04:43:32 -0400, wrote:

    > I wonder if i could install a mandriva one-spring 2007 without cdrom ?
    > and i need a speedtouch 330 modem to going to work too.

    I would not install any of the "one" versions, as they only have as much
    software, as will fit on one cd. Much better to go with the full dvd
    install. I'd also go with 2008.0, not 2007.

    You can download the dvd from
    http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...e-dvd-i586.iso
    and the sha1 checksum from
    http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...-i586.iso.sha1

    You can create a bootable floppy, to install from the dvd iso image on
    the hard drive using
    http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrak...es/hd_grub.img
    and following the instructions at
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Ins...oppy_disk_boot

    If you have a slow internet connection, you'll either need a friend with
    a high speed connection, to download the dvd image, or consider buying the
    boxed powerpack from http://store.mandriva.com/

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 13:24:27 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 04:43:32 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >> I wonder if i could install a mandriva one-spring 2007 without cdrom ?
    >> and i need a speedtouch 330 modem to going to work too.

    > I would not install any of the "one" versions, as they only have as much
    > software, as will fit on one cd. Much better to go with the full dvd
    > install. I'd also go with 2008.0, not 2007.
    >
    > If you have a slow internet connection, you'll either need a friend with
    > a high speed connection, to download the dvd image, or consider buying the
    > boxed powerpack from http://store.mandriva.com/

    Or, see the selections at

    http://shop.cheapbytes.com/

    Featured on the opening page: "Mandriva Linux 2008 DVD"

    Interestingly enough, v-a-v the Subject:, I bought my first usable/useful
    linux from Cheap Bytes: MDK 9.1 back in the days of dial-up, and I'd
    still be using it if all the smoke in my HDD hadn't leaked out. :-)

    Jones
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  10. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On 6 avr, 19:24, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 04:43:32 -0400, wrote:
    > > I wonder if i could install a mandriva one-spring 2007 without cdrom ?
    > > and i need a speedtouch 330 modem to going to work too.

    > I would not install any of the "one" versions, as they only have as much
    > software, as will fit on one cd. Much better to go with the full dvd
    > install. I'd also go with 2008.0, not 2007.
    >
    > You can download the dvd fromhttp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/2008.0/mandri...
    > and the sha1 checksum fromhttp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/2008.0/mandri...
    >
    > You can create a bootable floppy, to install from the dvd iso image on
    > the hard drive usinghttp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2008.0/i586/insta...
    > and following the instructions athttp://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installing_Mandriva_Linux#Hard_disk_...
    >
    > If you have a slow internet connection, you'll either need a friend with
    > a high speed connection, to download the dvd image, or consider buying the
    > boxed powerpack fromhttp://store.mandriva.com/
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    Thanks to all, I'm pleased to see that the traditional newbies-basher
    have gone to history, by the way. What i'm not. Juste forgot every
    thing and forgot my notes at home

    I will go for the 3 CD version (of Mandriva 2008). The installation
    process seems to be pretty the same as for mandrake 9.1, once you
    have the hd.img boot floppy.

    I ran the 9.1 installer from floppy and it worked ; not all that iso-
    scan buggy stuff like for Ubuntu. Yes i had the nice fealing that
    someone was at least speaking to me, running that installer.

  11. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On 6 avr, 19:24, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 04:43:32 -0400, wrote:
    > > I wonder if i could install a mandriva one-spring 2007 without cdrom ?
    > > and i need a speedtouch 330 modem to going to work too.

    > I would not install any of the "one" versions, as they only have as much
    > software, as will fit on one cd. Much better to go with the full dvd
    > install. I'd also go with 2008.0, not 2007.

    Are you sure ? sometimes version 0 is a dog.

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:03:26 -0400, wrote:

    > Are you sure ? sometimes version 0 is a dog.

    I'm running 2008.0 right now. Granted there have been a lot of updates since
    it was released last fall (2008.1 is close to it's scheduled release date),
    it's been one of the better releases since I started with Mandriva, back
    with Mandrake 9.

    The naming conventions have changed. There are two releases each year.
    year.0 is released in October of the prior year.
    year.1 is released in April of year.

    As per
    http://www.mandriva.com/archives/en/...tlifetime.html
    each realease will have updates for applications for 12 months,
    and updates for basic system components for 18 months.

    So plan on updating once a year, at least. Hopefully the problems that
    have required clean installs, and then migrating the data will be
    corrected, and each application will automatically update it's configuration
    files, as needed. Wishfull thinking at this point, but I'm hoping.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr wrote:
    > On 6 avr, 19:24, "David W. Hodgins"
    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 04:43:32 -0400, wrote:
    >>> I wonder if i could install a mandriva one-spring 2007 without cdrom ?
    >>> and i need a speedtouch 330 modem to going to work too.

    >> I would not install any of the "one" versions, as they only have as much
    >> software, as will fit on one cd. Much better to go with the full dvd
    >> install. I'd also go with 2008.0, not 2007.

    > Are you sure ? sometimes version 0 is a dog.

    2008.0 is solid (after about 700 MB of updates, maybe more by now).
    It does use new ways to identify disk partitions rather than /dev/hda
    and such (both LABEL=xyz and UUID=LONGSTRINGOFSTUFF are available)
    but you can change fstab entries and such to the old way and it
    works. The first time you see it in grub (if you use grub) it will
    look horrible, but it works, however you do it.

    It may be worth waiting for 2008.1, which should be out shortly.
    I have been running 2008.1 beta, rc1, and rc2, and updates have
    quit arriving. I think it is now set. And I have already moved
    everything over from 2008.0 to the new versions rather than keep
    going back and forth between them. The one thing I would not
    recommend at this point is KDE4. Install if if you wish, in addition
    to 3.5.9, but unless it has been significantly improved by packages
    I have not tried to use yet, it is not ready for full-time duty.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  14. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:51:23 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > going back and forth between them. The one thing I would not
    > recommend at this point is KDE4. Install if if you wish, in addition

    I'm running 2008.0, with backports. I really dislike the way
    kde4 menus work. While it is working, I find having a moving
    target, for the mouse, to be much worse, then the kde3 version.

    I hope, that when kde4 becomes the only available version, that
    it will support kde3 style menu handling.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  15. Re: Mandrake 9.1 was better than Ubuntu 7.10

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:51:23 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> going back and forth between them. The one thing I would not
    >> recommend at this point is KDE4. Install if if you wish, in addition

    > I'm running 2008.0, with backports. I really dislike the way
    > kde4 menus work. While it is working, I find having a moving
    > target, for the mouse, to be much worse, then the kde3 version.
    >
    > I hope, that when kde4 becomes the only available version, that
    > it will support kde3 style menu handling.

    At one point, with a 2008.1 release candidate, I reverted
    to the kde3 style menus. But I tried going back to the "new"
    and subsequent attempts failed to get the old style. I am not
    sure whether availability of the old style menus was deliberate
    and later broke or if something was scrambled and kde4 was
    reading the kde3 config files. I gave up on it.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely