"No newline at end..." - Mandrake

This is a discussion on "No newline at end..." - Mandrake ; The requirement for a newline keeps tripping me up, although thankfully, error-checking has prevented any disasters. I tried (and still use) a text-mode calendaring app. Entries without a newline didn't show up. /etc/fstab warns me of no newline. I have ...

  1. "No newline at end..."

    The requirement for a newline keeps tripping me up, although thankfully,
    error-checking has prevented any disasters.

    I tried (and still use) a text-mode calendaring app. Entries without a
    newline didn't show up. /etc/fstab warns me of no newline. I have just
    posted a few newsposts via Leafnode, and got the same warning on one of
    them.

    I don't mind making it a habit to add a newline to everything I type.
    Presumably the keyboard-and-monitor brigade will use GUI apps, which will
    take care of this. Are there any occasions when the newline is forbidden?

    Doug.

  2. Re: "No newline at end..."

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > The requirement for a newline keeps tripping me up, although
    > thankfully, error-checking has prevented any disasters.
    >
    > I tried (and still use) a text-mode calendaring app.

    Unusual, what is it called?

    > Entries
    > without a
    > newline didn't show up. /etc/fstab warns me of no newline.

    Are they related? The FileSystemTABle has nothing to do
    with calendars.

    Perhaps your problem is the editor that you are using.
    Different operating systems expect different things to
    signify the end of a line.
    *nix
    Mac
    dos
    can't remember :-(

    Trawl through the configuration options of your editor.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  3. Re: "No newline at end..."

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> The requirement for a newline keeps tripping me up, although
    >> thankfully, error-checking has prevented any disasters.
    >>
    >> I tried (and still use) a text-mode calendaring app.

    > Unusual, what is it called?
    >
    >> Entries
    >> without a
    >> newline didn't show up. /etc/fstab warns me of no newline.

    > Are they related? The FileSystemTABle has nothing to do
    > with calendars.
    >
    > Perhaps your problem is the editor that you are using.
    > Different operating systems expect different things to
    > signify the end of a line.
    > *nix
    > Mac
    > dos
    > can't remember :-(
    >
    > Trawl through the configuration options of your editor.
    >
    >> I have
    >> just posted a few newsposts via Leafnode, and got the same warning
    >> on one of them.
    >>
    >> I don't mind making it a habit to add a newline to everything I
    >> type. Presumably the keyboard-and-monitor brigade will use GUI apps,
    >> which will
    >> take care of this. Are there any occasions when the newline is
    >> forbidden?
    >>
    >> Doug.

    The app is clcal, http://www.hyborian.demon.co.uk/clcal/

    Doug.

  4. Re: "No newline at end..."

    on Sunday 30 March 2008 12:13
    in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake
    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> The requirement for a newline keeps tripping me up, although
    >>> thankfully, error-checking has prevented any disasters.
    >>>
    >>> I tried (and still use) a text-mode calendaring app.

    >> Unusual, what is it called?

    [snip]

    > The app is clcal, http://www.hyborian.demon.co.uk/clcal/
    >
    > Doug.

    Sorry for the delay, real life intrudes.

    I have no idea about clcal. Maybe the author will change it
    if you ask nicely. It is GPL, so if you are determined you
    can change it yourself.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.