linux mandrake - Mandrake

This is a discussion on linux mandrake - Mandrake ; I really like mandrake...

  1. linux mandrake

    I really like mandrake

  2. Re: linux mandrake

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:39:11 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    > I really like mandrake

    Must not like to much, if you are still using Micro$not OS to post
    your message. :-(

  3. Re: linux mandrake

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 06:39:11 -0800, allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:

    > I really like mandrake

    It would be much better to update to mandriva - mandrake is quite out of
    date.

  4. Re: linux mandrake

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:52:42 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:39:11 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I really like mandrake

    > Must not like to much, if you are still using Micro$not OS to post
    > your message. :-(

    And, posting via google groups, too.

  5. Re: linux mandrake

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:52:42 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:39:11 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I really like mandrake

    >> Must not like to much, if you are still using Micro$not OS to post
    >> your message. :-(

    > And, posting via google groups, too.

    And years after Mandrake was EOL!

    Daniel

  6. Re: linux mandrake

    In article , Bit Twister
    says...
    > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:39:11 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I really like mandrake

    > Must not like to much, if you are still using Micro$not OS to post
    > your message. :-(

    That's cos his wifi doesn't work in Linux...

    --
    Conor

    looking good either. - Scott Adams

  7. Re: linux mandrake

    wrote:

    >On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:39:11 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I really like mandrake

    >Must not like to much, if you are still using Micro$not OS to post
    >your message. :-(

    My news client is Forte Agent under wine, I'm now posting from sidux,
    mandriva 2008.1 RC2 is installed on another partition (yes, I know,
    time to upgrade :-), but that's not my primary OS), my 3rd OS (windows
    XP) hadn't be launched for 4 monthes :-)

    So, as we say in france : the cloth doesn't make the monk :-)

    PS: I'm using agent instead pan for 3 reason :
    - all my archived posts are stored in agent internal folders
    - I like much more the ergonomy of Agent than the one of Pan (maybe
    bcoz I'm use to it, that's a possibility)
    - All my filters are set in agent. Could start again from scratch, of
    course, this one is not really an argument

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  8. Re: linux mandrake

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:18:25 +0100, sebas22 wrote:

    > PS: I'm using agent instead pan for 3 reason :
    > - all my archived posts are stored in agent internal folders

    Sounds like you are asking for trouble there. :-)
    I let Google archive my posts.
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    Results 1 - 10 of about 20,700 for author:bit author:twister

    > - I like much more the ergonomy of Agent than the one of Pan (maybe
    > bcoz I'm use to it, that's a possibility)

    I can relate. I can not stand a gui for text news reading.
    pan seems to be broke for a forth of the binaries I look at.

    > - All my filters are set in agent. Could start again from scratch, of
    > course, this one is not really an argument

    I resorted to using cleanscore to keep my slrn filter cleared out of
    date tagged filters.

  9. Re: linux mandrake

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > I can relate. I can not stand a gui for text news reading.

    I still prefer good old /KNode,/ albeit that I've decoupled it
    from /Kontact,/ just as I've done with /KMail./ ;-)

    --
    Aragorn
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  10. Re: linux mandrake

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:38:45 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister
    wrote:

    >> PS: I'm using agent instead pan for 3 reason :
    >> - all my archived posts are stored in agent internal folders

    >Sounds like you are asking for trouble there. :-)
    >I let Google archive my posts.
    >http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

    Mmmh, my approximative english betrayed me :-)
    I store the posts from other people, the ones I find of some interest
    for me, not the ones I wrote :-) (I'm not that narcissic :-))

    >> - I like much more the ergonomy of Agent than the one of Pan (maybe
    >> bcoz I'm use to it, that's a possibility)

    >I can relate. I can not stand a gui for text news reading.
    >pan seems to be broke for a forth of the binaries I look at.

    Well, I must admit I never tried text-mode news readers, I will give
    slrn a try tomorrow, since I have nothing against text-mode proggies.

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  11. Re: linux mandrake

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:05:55 +0100, sebas22 wrote:

    > Mmmh, my approximative english betrayed me :-)
    > I store the posts from other people, the ones I find of some interest
    > for me, not the ones I wrote :-) (I'm not that narcissic :-))

    For those I store in a text directory.
    That allows me to grep 4_whatever *.txt
    to find what I am looking for.

    Three or less lines I'll store in my unix.help file with some keywords.
    I can then grep it for the command. I created a script to tack
    arguments to find key words. Example:

    $ uh un tar dir
    using checkinstall 1 cd into app's untared directory
    how to tar up a directory tar cvfp fn.tar directory_name
    how to untar directory tar ball tar xvfp tar.file.name.tar

    Same thing for urls

    $ urls bash doc
    http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/...cu_chap02.html ! basic shell bash doc
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/MAN_bash ! documentation
    http://cfaj.freeshell.org/shell ! bash script tips usage doc
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html ! bash script advanced documentation

  12. Re: linux mandrake

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:05:55 +0100, sebas22 wrote:

    >I store the posts from other people, the ones I find of some interest
    >for me, not the ones I wrote :-) (I'm not that narcissic :-))

    Unless you have changed the default settings, or are manually deleting
    them, your saving your own posts too.

    No shame in using Agent. Figuring it out is great practice for switching
    to Linux
    --
    William

    Mandriva user since Mandrake 8.0. Agent under Crossover Office.

  13. Re: linux mandrake

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:05:55 +0100, sebas22 wrote:
    >>
    >> Mmmh, my approximative english betrayed me :-)
    >> I store the posts from other people, the ones I find of some interest
    >> for me, not the ones I wrote :-) (I'm not that narcissic :-))

    > For those I store in a text directory.
    > That allows me to grep 4_whatever *.txt
    > to find what I am looking for.

    Do you have a separate file for each article, or do you use
    slrn's builtin save?

    If you have a separate file for each article, what do you use
    for the filename for each file?

    I use grep for searching backups of emails, but it hadn't
    occurred to me to use grep for searching saved Usenet articles.
    I was using mutt to sorta hunt and peck, but obviously grep
    would be much better.

  14. Re: linux mandrake

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:31:52 -0700, Scott B. wrote:

    > Do you have a separate file for each article,

    Yes, maybe, depends. I may have more than one article in the file.

    > or do you use slrn's builtin save?

    No, I run each Internet activity in a different log in account.
    No one would have access to ~usenet to look at saved files.

    > If you have a separate file for each article, what do you use
    > for the filename for each file?

    Something to tell me contents of .txt. Example hunting file name for network

    $ ls *net*.txt
    dump_net.txt netscape.txt net_trouble.txt tar_accross_network.txt
    mail_telnet.txt net_tip.txt network_trouble.txt telnet.txt
    netscape.tip_font rhnetwork.txt

+ Reply to Thread