Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008 - Mandrake ; I have a stable config with Mandrake 2007. There is no security/lib/kernel upgrade available from the Config menus. All the application I need runs OK : OpenOffice, web, Java, Eclipse, Gimp, media players (video/audio).. :standard stuff. Will the run better ...

  1. Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    I have a stable config with Mandrake 2007.

    There is no security/lib/kernel upgrade available from the Config
    menus.

    All the application I need runs OK : OpenOffice, web, Java, Eclipse,
    Gimp, media players (video/audio).. :standard stuff. Will the run
    better on Mandrake 2008 ?

    I wonder if I should install Mandrake 2008 .... is it stable ?
    finished ?

    The only reasons I'd be interested in upgrading :
    - new KDE seems faster (read it on the web).
    - I'm working on Android project. Maybe it will run faster.
    - I have some missing applications (config mostly) in Menu, and unable
    to add them.

    I use Mandrake at home, but to **work**.
    Not at all for the fun of testing a new Linux release !

  2. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:32:29 -0500, Nanard wrote:

    > I have a stable config with Mandrake 2007.
    > There is no security/lib/kernel upgrade available from the Config
    > menus.

    See http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/productlifetime

    Depending on which version of 2007 you have, support will stop on
    April 13th, 2008, or October 13th, 2008.

    > All the application I need runs OK : OpenOffice, web, Java, Eclipse,
    > Gimp, media players (video/audio).. :standard stuff. Will the run
    > better on Mandrake 2008 ?

    As always, I do not recommend an upgrade. Do a fresh install, using
    dual-boot, as there are too many config changes between versions.
    Get the new version updated, install of the packages you want, and
    copy your data over.

    > I wonder if I should install Mandrake 2008 .... is it stable ?
    > finished ?

    2008.0 is stable. 2008.1 is currently in it's 2nd beta release. Since
    you clearly want to keep the time spent installing and configuring linux
    to a minimun, I'd wait until 2008.1 is released, and then wait a couple
    of weeks to see if there are any major updates.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    > As always, I do not recommend an upgrade. *Do a fresh install, using
    > dual-boot, as there are too many config changes between versions.
    > Get the new version updated, install of the packages you want, and
    > copy your data over.

    I have /home in another partition, so I can erase / without problem.
    Well.... some app. will need to be re-installed anyways :-(
    I prefear a fresh install than installing over my previous partition.
    W$ uses other partition. I/my wife need it also for work.

    I takes me around 2 or 3 nights every time I change Mandrake version
    to get everything working. It's a waste of time for me (and risks...)

    > you clearly want to keep the time spent installing and configuring linux
    > to a minimun,

    Yes : I want to **work** with Linux. I don't care about testing the
    system.

    >I'd wait until 2008.1 is released, and then wait a couple
    > of weeks to see if there are any major updates.

    Ok I will wait.

    Thanks for the advice.

    It would be good if at Mandrake , they provide a way to smoothly
    upgrade the system online, slowy one thingk at a time. So the system
    is allways up-to-date, and no more need to install/upgdare/reconfigure
    **everything** through a CD/DVD.

  4. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:45:08 -0800 (PST), Nanard wrote:

    > I have /home in another partition, so I can erase / without problem.

    I have a separate partition called accounts which contains the users
    files which they want to user across different releases and/or distributions.
    /home is in /.
    The users just link their subdirectories to /accounts/$USER. Example:

    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.bash_profile
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.user_profile
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.bash_logout
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.bashrc
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/bin
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.thunderbird
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/work
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.cron
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/comp
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.Xresources
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.Xdefaults
    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.slrnrc

    The reason is different releases of the desktop manager can/have
    different names/values in in their config files and may not be compatible.

    > Well.... some app. will need to be re-installed anyways :-(
    > I prefear a fresh install than installing over my previous partition.
    > W$ uses other partition. I/my wife need it also for work.

    Yes, I keep spare ~12 partitions for testing and new releases,
    That way I can install the new release and when I am happy with it, it
    becomes the new "Production" default. The old partition become the
    test partition for the next release.

    > I takes me around 2 or 3 nights every time I change Mandrake version
    > to get everything working. It's a waste of time for me (and risks...)

    I keep an admin diary with all the commands I make after a new
    install. That way I just cut from diary and paste into a terminal.
    Some snippets

    # bring install up to date with fixes

    Click up a terminal
    su - root
    mcc
    Click, Software Management
    click, Configure media sources for install and update
    Disable all removable media
    Set wget in Options Global
    quit mcc

    ping -c1 yahoo.com

    /local/bin/set_mirror

    urpmi --wget meta-task --auto
    urpmi --wget wget --auto
    urpmi --wget rpm --auto
    urpmi --wget perl-URPM --auto
    urpmi --wget urpmi --wget --auto
    urpmi --wget rpmdrake --auto
    urpmi --wget rpm-helper --auto
    service httpd stop
    service postfix stop
    service cups stop

    # now get all updates

    urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto

    mv /etc/smartd.conf /etc/smartd.conf_orig
    cp /rst/local/config/smartd.conf /etc

    # copy in user's cron/batch jobs

    cp /rst/local/config/var/spool/cron/* /var/spool/cron/
    for _u in $(ls /var/spool/cron) ; do
    chown ${_u}:${_u} /var/spool/cron/$_u
    done

    > It would be good if at Mandrake , they provide a way to smoothly
    > upgrade the system online, slowy one thingk at a time.

    They do, Software Management has a gui screen to allow you to pick
    each package you want to upgrade.

    > So the system is allways up-to-date,

    Put a script in /etc/cron.daily.
    About 4am, the script can do a
    urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto
    and your system would have all the daily updates installed.

    > and no more need to
    > install/upgdare/reconfigure **everything** through a CD/DVD.

    Well, I download the dvd.iso, loop mount it, burn boot.iso to cd
    ~(12 MB) , boot it, select Hard drive install, pick drive,
    partition, set sub-directory where iso resides, pick my packages,
    about 20 minutes later I finish config and reboot.

    Once I set the mirrors, I disable any removable media in Software
    Management, exit mcc,
    urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto
    which brings the system up to date with fixes.

    For third party apps, Admin diary has something like

    # java jre install

    cat $( ls /accounts/downloads/jre*install.txt | sort | tail -1)
    and follow instructions

    I cut and paste the cat command and up pops
    #************** Start jre-6u4-linux-i586_install.txt **************
    #*
    #* Download jre from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    #* pick Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4 download
    #*
    #*
    #* Note: /accounts/downloads is my browser download directory and
    #* assumes /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for plugin installs.
    #*
    #************************************************* ***************

    exit 0 # just in case a newbie tries to run this as a script

    As a user, click up a terminal and login as root as follows:
    su - root

    alias edt=gedit

    chmod +x /accounts/downloads/jre-6u4-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    cd /accounts/downloads
    urpme jre
    /bin/rm -f /etc/init.d/jexec.rpmsave

    /accounts/downloads/jre-6u4-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    yes

    cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    /bin/rm -f libjavaplugin_oji.so

    ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    ls -al

    #******************************************
    #* disable the new java system service/deamon
    #*******************************************

    service jexec stop
    chkconfig --del jexec
    chkconfig jexec off

    edt /etc/init.d/jexec
    and add
    exit 0
    under the header comment block.
    Click Save/quit

    #******************************************
    #* jre/java test links
    #******************************************

    firefox http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    and verify version number displayed on screen

    firefox http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

    #************** End jre-6u4-linux-i586_install.txt *********************

  5. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    Nanard writes:

    >I have a stable config with Mandrake 2007.

    >There is no security/lib/kernel upgrade available from the Config
    >menus.

    Nope support has ceased.

    >All the application I need runs OK : OpenOffice, web, Java, Eclipse,
    >Gimp, media players (video/audio).. :standard stuff. Will the run
    >better on Mandrake 2008 ?

    Maybe

    >I wonder if I should install Mandrake 2008 .... is it stable ?
    >finished ?

    Yes. Yes.

    >The only reasons I'd be interested in upgrading :
    >- new KDE seems faster (read it on the web).
    >- I'm working on Android project. Maybe it will run faster.
    >- I have some missing applications (config mostly) in Menu, and unable

    o>to add them.

    And ouwill get security upgrades.

    >I use Mandrake at home, but to **work**.
    >Not at all for the fun of testing a new Linux release !

    The problem is you really must install-- not update-- 2008. Which means you
    loose all your config changes ets and have to redo them I tried to update
    from 2007 to 2008 and had a complete mess. Pam seems to have changed
    significantly and trying to su to a new user was impossible ( bad password
    when I had not entered one, 8 lines of error messages each time I tried to
    log on,...)

  6. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    Nanard writes:

    >> As always, I do not recommend an upgrade. =A0Do a fresh install, using
    >> dual-boot, as there are too many config changes between versions.
    >> Get the new version updated, install of the packages you want, and
    >> copy your data over.

    >I have /home in another partition, so I can erase / without problem.
    >Well.... some app. will need to be re-installed anyways :-(
    >I prefear a fresh install than installing over my previous partition.
    >W$ uses other partition. I/my wife need it also for work.

    Yes. One gotcha I hade was thet the old fonts x11-fonts-adobe-{75,200}dpi
    are not installed or even selectable on installoation and for me Maple
    demanded them. Theyare on the disk so after installation you can urpmi
    them.

    >I takes me around 2 or 3 nights every time I change Mandrake version
    >to get everything working. It's a waste of time for me (and risks...)

    Yes, I do know what you mean.

    >> you clearly want to keep the time spent installing and configuring linux
    >> to a minimun,

    >Yes : I want to **work** with Linux. I don't care about testing the
    >system.

    >>I'd wait until 2008.1 is released, and then wait a couple
    >> of weeks to see if there are any major updates.

    >Ok I will wait.

    Well, of course it will need a bit more than a few weeks to shake out all
    the bugs.
    And I suspect it will be longer than "a couple of weeks"

    >Thanks for the advice.

    >It would be good if at Mandrake , they provide a way to smoothly
    >upgrade the system online, slowy one thingk at a time. So the system
    >is allways up-to-date, and no more need to install/upgdare/reconfigure
    >**everything** through a CD/DVD.

    Yes. The rpoblem is that they would then have to have a different update
    path for each old version. Shold they go back to 2007.1? 2007.0? 2006?
    10.1?....

  7. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    Nanard wrote:

    >> As always, I do not recommend an upgrade. *Do a fresh install, using
    >> dual-boot, as there are too many config changes between versions.
    >> Get the new version updated, install of the packages you want, and
    >> copy your data over.

    > I have /home in another partition, so I can erase / without problem.
    > Well.... some app. will need to be re-installed anyways :-(
    > I prefear a fresh install than installing over my previous partition.
    > W$ uses other partition. I/my wife need it also for work.
    >

    > I takes me around 2 or 3 nights every time I change Mandrake version
    > to get everything working. It's a waste of time for me (and risks...)
    >
    >> you clearly want to keep the time spent installing and configuring linux
    >> to a minimun,

    > Yes : I want to **work** with Linux. I don't care about testing the
    > system.
    >
    >>I'd wait until 2008.1 is released, and then wait a couple
    >> of weeks to see if there are any major updates.

    > Ok I will wait.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice.
    >

    > It would be good if at Mandrake , they provide a way to smoothly
    > upgrade the system online, slowy one thingk at a time. So the system
    > is allways up-to-date, and no more need to install/upgdare/reconfigure
    > **everything** through a CD/DVD.

    I just upgraded from 2007.1 to 2008.0 on two computers.
    For my laptop I've done it the natural way, formating / and leaving /home
    untouched. It took 6.5 hours from installation to the end of the updates
    thru the usual repositories.

    To upgrade my desktop I used a NAS with all the downloaded MDV 2008.0 files.
    It took 2.5 hours to have an upgraded and updated computer.

    I keep a text file with the names or keywords corresponding to the packages
    that I need, so it's quite easy to have the job done manually.

    Previous upgrades went from LE2005 to 2007.1 and from 2006 to 2007.1 both
    with no problems.

    Ciao @+

  8. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:06:18 -0500, F8BOE wrote:

    > I just upgraded from 2007.1 to 2008.0 on two computers.
    > For my laptop I've done it the natural way, formating / and leaving /home
    > untouched. It took 6.5 hours from installation to the end of the updates
    > thru the usual repositories.

    Have you renamed ~/.kde, ~/.gnom*, or are you still sorting out which
    configuration files will crash, or at least stop the new versions from
    working? There are some files under ~/.kde such as ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc
    (addressbook) and ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/* (email), that should be
    kept, but most of the config files will have to be replaced.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Unruh wrote:

    > Nanard writes:
    >
    >>I have a stable config with Mandrake 2007.

    >>There is no security/lib/kernel upgrade available from the Config
    >>menus.

    That's because the kernel upgrades don't appear in that location in
    2007 - you have to know there's an upgrade

    > Nope support has ceased.

    Well, I have upgraded a 2007 kernel from drakconf - according to
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/productlifetime updates will cease
    in April

    Robert
    --
    La grenouille songe..dans son ch√Ęteau d'eau
    Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:06:18 -0500, F8BOE wrote:
    >
    >> I just upgraded from 2007.1 to 2008.0 on two computers.
    >> For my laptop I've done it the natural way, formating / and leaving /home
    >> untouched. It took 6.5 hours from installation to the end of the updates
    >> thru the usual repositories.

    > Have you renamed ~/.kde, ~/.gnom*, or are you still sorting out which
    > configuration files will crash, or at least stop the new versions from
    > working? There are some files under ~/.kde such as ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc
    > (addressbook) and ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/* (email), that should be
    > kept, but most of the config files will have to be replaced.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    As I wrote, I didn't have to fix nor sort anything out.

  11. Re: Update Mandrake 2007 to 2008

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:52:54 -0500, F8BOE wrote:

    > As I wrote, I didn't have to fix nor sort anything out.

    I'm quite surprised. Nice to hear an upgrade sometimes does work
    without problems.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins