Want to know connected users on my Linux system - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Want to know connected users on my Linux system - Mandrake ; Hi I have a linux OS where i am running one application. all the users are connected to that application by doing ssh or telnet. I want to monitor that server. The things which i am planning to monitor is ...

  1. Want to know connected users on my Linux system

    Hi

    I have a linux OS where i am running one application. all the users
    are connected to that application by doing ssh or telnet. I want to
    monitor that server. The things which i am planning to monitor is like
    who all are the user connected to my application with time stamp. and
    what are the commands they are executing. Please let me know if
    somebody can help me.

    Thanks
    Vik ...

  2. Re: Want to know connected users on my Linux system

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:56:45 -0800 (PST), vicky.neo wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a linux OS where i am running one application. all the users
    > are connected to that application by doing ssh or telnet. I want to
    > monitor that server. The things which i am planning to monitor is like
    > who all are the user connected to my application with time stamp. and
    > what are the commands they are executing. Please let me know if
    > somebody can help me.

    I suggest you put logging code in your application.

    By the way, telnet is insecure because log in id/passwd and data is
    passed as clear text across the network where anyone can see,

  3. Re: Want to know connected users on my Linux system

    "vicky.neo" writes:

    >Hi

    >I have a linux OS where i am running one application. all the users
    >are connected to that application by doing ssh or telnet. I want to
    >monitor that server. The things which i am planning to monitor is like
    >who all are the user connected to my application with time stamp. and
    >what are the commands they are executing. Please let me know if
    >somebody can help me.

    Why do youwant to know the commands?
    Anyway last will tell you who logged on and when

    It will not tell you what they ran. You could look in their .bash_history
    files, or run ps aux every ten seconds and put it into a file.

  4. Re: Want to know connected users on my Linux system

    On Feb 19, 11:22 am, Unruh wrote:
    > "vicky.neo" writes:
    > >Hi
    > >I have a linux OS where i am running one application. all the users
    > >are connected to that application by doing ssh or telnet. I want to
    > >monitor that server. The things which i am planning to monitor is like
    > >who all are the user connected to my application with time stamp. and
    > >what are the commands they are executing. Please let me know if
    > >somebody can help me.

    > Why do youwant to know the commands?
    > Anyway last will tell you who logged on and when
    >
    > It will not tell you what they ran. You could look in their .bash_history
    > files, or run ps aux every ten seconds and put it into a file.

    Hi

    The issue here is, I have created only one user in my application. so
    every user is login with the same one user name and login to system.
    When i say last it shows me all the sessions opened in that system.
    But as user name is same i am unable to find which session is opened
    from which IP / user / system. Rest i am getting the PID if i fired
    WHO command but what will be the grep expression to find which PID
    fired which commands.

    Thanks for giving me your advice, will wait for your prompt response.

    Vik...

  5. Re: Want to know connected users on my Linux system

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:37:49 -0500, vicky.neo wrote:

    > The issue here is, I have created only one user in my application. so
    > every user is login with the same one user name and login to system.

    If you can't modify the app to do the logging, what about using
    shorewall/iptables to log all packets to the port the app is using?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins