Linux Installation - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Linux Installation - Mandrake ; Hi all, I am trying to install Mandrake 8.1 (don't ask why) on my Gateway 835GM computer with Windows XP SP2. When it starts probing hardware, it halts on a line with ide0. I'm not a guru with Linux installation ...

  1. Linux Installation

    Hi all,

    I am trying to install Mandrake 8.1 (don't ask why) on my Gateway 835GM
    computer with Windows XP SP2. When it starts probing hardware, it halts on
    a line with ide0. I'm not a guru with Linux installation as I've only had
    to do it once before. However, when I did it before on another computer it
    worked seamlessly. I searched all over google to see if this was something
    related to my hardware and I couldn't find anything. If anyone can help
    me, I would be highly appreciative. Thank you so much.

    Matt

  2. Re: Linux Installation

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:00:21 -0800, BigDaDDY wrote:

    > I am trying to install Mandrake 8.1 (don't ask why) on my Gateway 835GM
    > computer with Windows XP SP2. When it starts probing hardware, it halts
    > on a line with ide0. I'm not a guru with Linux installation as I've
    > only had to do it once before. However, when I did it before on another
    > computer it worked seamlessly. I searched all over google to see if
    > this was something related to my hardware and I couldn't find anything.
    > If anyone can help me, I would be highly appreciative. Thank you so
    > much.

    But when you installed it before, it was on hardware that was probably out
    when the OS was released. The one have now wasn't even close to being out
    when 8.1 was released. Download the latest Mandriva version and give it
    another shot. You're spinning your wheels with 8.1.

  3. Re: Linux Installation

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:00:21 -0800, BigDaDDY wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to install Mandrake 8.1 (don't ask why) on my Gateway 835GM
    >> computer with Windows XP SP2. When it starts probing hardware, it halts
    >> on a line with ide0. I'm not a guru with Linux installation as I've
    >> only had to do it once before. However, when I did it before on another
    >> computer it worked seamlessly. I searched all over google to see if
    >> this was something related to my hardware and I couldn't find anything.
    >> If anyone can help me, I would be highly appreciative. Thank you so
    >> much.
    >>

    > But when you installed it before, it was on hardware that was probably out
    > when the OS was released. The one have now wasn't even close to being out
    > when 8.1 was released. Download the latest Mandriva version and give it
    > another shot. You're spinning your wheels with 8.1.

    Wes,

    Thanks for getting back to me. Any ideas on where I can download the
    latest Mandriva version?

  4. Re: Linux Installation

    BigDaDDY wrote:
    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:00:21 -0800, BigDaDDY wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to install Mandrake 8.1 (don't ask why) on my Gateway 835GM
    >>> computer with Windows XP SP2. When it starts probing hardware, it halts
    >>> on a line with ide0. I'm not a guru with Linux installation as I've
    >>> only had to do it once before. However, when I did it before on another
    >>> computer it worked seamlessly. I searched all over google to see if
    >>> this was something related to my hardware and I couldn't find anything.
    >>> If anyone can help me, I would be highly appreciative. Thank you so
    >>> much.
    >>>

    >> But when you installed it before, it was on hardware that was probably out
    >> when the OS was released. The one have now wasn't even close to being out
    >> when 8.1 was released. Download the latest Mandriva version and give it
    >> another shot. You're spinning your wheels with 8.1.
    >>

    > Wes,
    >
    > Thanks for getting back to me. Any ideas on where I can download the
    > latest Mandriva version?

    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

  5. Re: Linux Installation

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:21:56 +0100, "Robert.Spilleboudt "
    wrote:

    >> Thanks for getting back to me. Any ideas on where I can download the
    >> latest Mandriva version?
    >>

    >http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

    .... but be carefull about the requirements :
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-linux-one

    I'm saying this because you wanted to install mdk 8.1, so maybe you'll
    install it on a not-so-powerfull PC. If it's the case, you don't want
    to use gnome or KDE. Mandriva can be an option only if you use a light
    window manager instead.

    There is also some other (actual) linux ready for old machines (antix,
    xubuntu, DSL, Puppy, etc ...). A groups.google.com search will bring
    you thousands of posts about this subject.

    TinyME http://tinyme.mypclinuxos.com/ is a light PCLinuxOS which is
    itself a fork of mandrake, so it can be of some interest for you.

    --
    Regards,
    Sebas

  6. Re: Linux Installation

    On 2007-12-12, BigDaDDY wrote:

    > Thanks for getting back to me. Any ideas on where I can download the
    > latest Mandriva version?

    With a question like that, I'd suggest you just give up and find another
    hobby. If it doesn't occur to you to check their website to see if by
    some chance it can be downloaded from there, you are too stupid to even
    consider installing Linux. Amazing.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  7. Re: Linux Installation

    BigDaDDY writes:

    >Hi all,

    >I am trying to install Mandrake 8.1 (don't ask why) on my Gateway 835GM

    I'm sorry, you are asking for help with a 5 year old distro?

    >computer with Windows XP SP2. When it starts probing hardware, it halts on
    >a line with ide0. I'm not a guru with Linux installation as I've only had
    >to do it once before. However, when I did it before on another computer it
    >worked seamlessly. I searched all over google to see if this was something
    >related to my hardware and I couldn't find anything. If anyone can help
    >me, I would be highly appreciative. Thank you so much.

    The OS probably cannot handle your particular hardware which is newer than
    the distro.

    >Matt

  8. Re: Linux Installation

    BigDaDDY wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to install Mandrake 8.1 (don't ask why) on my Gateway 835GM
    > computer with Windows XP SP2. When it starts probing hardware, it halts
    > on
    > a line with ide0. I'm not a guru with Linux installation as I've only had
    > to do it once before. However, when I did it before on another computer
    > it
    > worked seamlessly. I searched all over google to see if this was
    > something
    > related to my hardware and I couldn't find anything. If anyone can help
    > me, I would be highly appreciative. Thank you so much.
    >
    > Matt

    looks like your subject is getting trashed
    or is it just my newsbrowser or ISP?

  9. Re: Linux Installation

    alp wrote:

    > BigDaDDY wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I am trying to install Mandrake 8.1 (don't ask why) on my Gateway 835GM
    >> computer with Windows XP SP2. When it starts probing hardware, it halts
    >> on
    >> a line with ide0. I'm not a guru with Linux installation as I've only
    >> had
    >> to do it once before. However, when I did it before on another computer
    >> it
    >> worked seamlessly. I searched all over google to see if this was
    >> something
    >> related to my hardware and I couldn't find anything. If anyone can help
    >> me, I would be highly appreciative. Thank you so much.
    >>
    >> Matt

    > looks like your subject is getting trashed
    > or is it just my newsbrowser or ISP?

    Strange, after I replied your subject looks fine.
    Lots of other junk on this group though.

  10. Re: Linux Installation

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , alp wrote:

    >>looks like your subject is getting trashed
    >>or is it just my newsbrowser or ISP?

    >Strange, after I replied your subject looks fine.

    No idea what you are talking about. His post, some six other replies
    and your own pair of posts appear normal. Could you be having a
    character set problem? His post claims to be

    while both of yours differ only in claiming to be

    >Lots of other junk on this group though.

    Asking my newsserver for the last 50 article numbers only brings up
    40 articles, suggesting that some articles got tossed (perhaps spews
    like the 'MI5-Victims' spew reported in the stats file, or other spam).
    That goes back to 11/22/07. You may find 'alt.os.linux.mandriva' a
    more useful group.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread