Googleearth crashes all OSs! - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Googleearth crashes all OSs! - Mandrake ; I just reloaded 2008 free. Why? I got an update to my kernel to 6.22.12 from 6.22.9 and when I went to use google earth, for the first time in seven years of mandrake-mandriva, my OS crashed back to splash ...

  1. Googleearth crashes all OSs!

    I just reloaded 2008 free. Why? I got an update to my kernel to 6.22.12
    from 6.22.9 and when I went to use google earth, for the first time in
    seven years of mandrake-mandriva, my OS crashed back to splash screen. I
    have a vintage vid card, Nvidia, that loaded with th 71xx package
    provided with 2008. I also loaded what I think is the source package.
    The kernel that loaded is the 686 for under 4 gigs and the source
    package is just the 6.22.12. What should I do?

  2. Re: Googleearth crashes all OSs!

    Baldeagle writes:

    >I just reloaded 2008 free. Why? I got an update to my kernel to 6.22.12
    >from 6.22.9 and when I went to use google earth, for the first time in
    >seven years of mandrake-mandriva, my OS crashed back to splash screen. I
    >have a vintage vid card, Nvidia, that loaded with th 71xx package
    >provided with 2008. I also loaded what I think is the source package.
    >The kernel that loaded is the 686 for under 4 gigs and the source
    >package is just the 6.22.12. What should I do?

    Sounds like a video driver problem.
    By the way, there was no need to reload the whole system. Just tell it to
    use the old kernel-- from the LILO command line on bootup, and if that
    works, change teh default= setting in /etc/lilo.conf. If you erased the old
    kernel, just reinstall it-- rpm -ivh /path/to/kernel-2.6.22.12*

  3. Re: Googleearth crashes all OSs!

    Baldeagle wrote:
    > I just reloaded 2008 free. Why? I got an update to my kernel to 6.22.12
    > from 6.22.9 and when I went to use google earth, for the first time in
    > seven years of mandrake-mandriva, my OS crashed back to splash screen. I
    > have a vintage vid card, Nvidia, that loaded with th 71xx package
    > provided with 2008. I also loaded what I think is the source package.
    > The kernel that loaded is the 686 for under 4 gigs and the source
    > package is just the 6.22.12. What should I do?

    If you are using a kernel with virtualization, that can cause crashes
    with the proprietary nvidia driver. At least it made my suse crash
    regularly maybe a year ago.

  4. Re: Googleearth crashes all OSs!

    Matt wrote:

    > Baldeagle wrote:
    >> I just reloaded 2008 free. Why? I got an update to my kernel to 6.22.12
    >> from 6.22.9 and when I went to use google earth, for the first time in
    >> seven years of mandrake-mandriva, my OS crashed back to splash screen. I
    >> have a vintage vid card, Nvidia, that loaded with th 71xx package
    >> provided with 2008. I also loaded what I think is the source package.
    >> The kernel that loaded is the 686 for under 4 gigs and the source
    >> package is just the 6.22.12. What should I do?

    > If you are using a kernel with virtualization, that can cause crashes
    > with the proprietary nvidia driver. At least it made my suse crash
    > regularly maybe a year ago.

    There was a conflict between the nVidia driver and Wine. The fix was to
    reinstall the driver. nVidia removes some OpenGL files and replaces them
    with its own. The removed files are backed up to put back with an
    uninstall of the driver. With a new kernel, the old files may not work,
    and you may be left with some openGL files missing. If you reinstall the
    driver immediately, this should not matter. I have successfully
    reinstalled the driver in those circumstances. To reinstall nVidia's own,
    you will need the kernel-devel package that matches your kernel number.
    The devel package is enough of the source to allow you to compile programs.
    It should have been upgraded as well, but traditionally, Mandriva regards
    kernel upgrades rather differently. If you are using Mandriva's nVidia
    package, simply uninstall and reinstall it. You should not need
    kernel-devel in these circumstances, but let urpmi take care of the
    dependencies, in the new environment.

    Doug.

  5. Re: Googleearth crashes all OSs!

    on Wednesday 16 January 2008 22:32
    in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake
    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Baldeagle wrote:
    >>> I just reloaded 2008 free. Why? I got an update to my kernel to 6.22.12
    >>> from 6.22.9 and when I went to use google earth, for the first time in
    >>> seven years of mandrake-mandriva, my OS crashed back to splash screen. I
    >>> have a vintage vid card, Nvidia, that loaded with th 71xx package
    >>> provided with 2008. I also loaded what I think is the source package.
    >>> The kernel that loaded is the 686 for under 4 gigs and the source
    >>> package is just the 6.22.12. What should I do?

    >> If you are using a kernel with virtualization, that can cause crashes
    >> with the proprietary nvidia driver. At least it made my suse crash
    >> regularly maybe a year ago.

    > There was a conflict between the nVidia driver and Wine. The fix was to
    > reinstall the driver. nVidia removes some OpenGL files and replaces them
    > with its own. The removed files are backed up to put back with an
    > uninstall of the driver. With a new kernel, the old files may not work,
    > and you may be left with some openGL files missing. If you reinstall the
    > driver immediately, this should not matter. I have successfully
    > reinstalled the driver in those circumstances. To reinstall nVidia's own,
    > you will need the kernel-devel package that matches your kernel number.
    > The devel package is enough of the source to allow you to compile
    > programs. It should have been upgraded as well, but traditionally,
    > Mandriva regards
    > kernel upgrades rather differently. If you are using Mandriva's nVidia
    > package, simply uninstall and reinstall it. You should not need
    > kernel-devel in these circumstances, but let urpmi take care of the
    > dependencies, in the new environment.
    >
    > Doug.

    Googleearth is crashing with open source video drivers for both
    nVidia and Ati cards on native Mandriva 2008.0 (no virtualisation).

    If you start it from the command line, you will see that it writes a
    log files and promises to send it as a bug report when you re-run
    Googleearth.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.