Mandriva general setup - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva general setup - Mandrake ; Hi all, Small but all important question : I feel mandriva seems the best solution for my needs. However the biggest problem for me is the hardware recognition. There's always a problem. So, I understand recompiling the kernel is the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Mandriva general setup

    Hi all,
    Small but all important question : I feel mandriva seems the best
    solution for my needs. However the biggest problem for me is the
    hardware recognition. There's always a problem.
    So, I understand recompiling the kernel is the solution for all hardware
    to be recognised to work properly.

    Q1 : Is this true?
    Q2 : How does one recompile the kernel?
    Q3 : This is for pro use, so getting this distro is a pretty serious matter.

    For instance I use a HP colour laserjet 2605dn which is not supported by
    any version of linux. Kernel compilation fixes this ?

    I thank you all.

    G.

  2. Re: Mandriva general setup

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:22:15 +0100, GT wrote:

    First thing to do is hunt around in Thunderbird, set text only for
    your replies, get rid of the vcard crap when posting to Usenet.
    I am not going to trim the post just so you can see what a waste
    of bandwidth and store you consume with those settings.

    Posting your email address in Usenet is just asking for
    spamers to flood your email address.

    > ------------ 70502050109010802060805
    > Content Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format flowed
    > Content Transfer Encoding: 7bit
    >
    > Hi all,
    > Small but all important question : I feel mandriva seems the best
    > solution for my needs. However the biggest problem for me is the
    > hardware recognition. There's always a problem.

    Not on my system, I only buy hardware which is supported.

    > So, I understand recompiling the kernel is the solution for all hardware
    > to be recognised to work properly.
    >
    > Q1 : Is this true?

    No

    > Q2 : How does one recompile the kernel?

    Install development packages, kernel source, run one of the kernel
    config tools, followed by a make of modules, image, install and
    creating an entry in your boot loader.

    > Q3 : This is for pro use, so getting this distro is a pretty serious matter.

    Sorry can not see your question. What /pro use/ are you going to be doing.

    > For instance I use a HP colour laserjet 2605dn which is not supported by
    > any version of linux. Kernel compilation fixes this ?

    No, again, guessing the HP driver package "hplip" would be where code
    would be added to support the printer.

  3. Re: Mandriva general setup

    Thanks for replying
    Bit Twister a écrit :
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:22:15 +0100, GT wrote:
    >
    > I am not going to trim the post just so you can see what a waste
    > of bandwidth and store you consume with those settings.

    Nobody's asking you to

    > Not on my system, I only buy hardware which is supported.

    well not everyone can.

    >> Q1 : Is this true?

    > No

    Ok, so false info

    >> Q2 : How does one recompile the kernel?

    > Install development packages, kernel source, run one of the kernel
    > config tools, followed by a make of modules, image, install and
    > creating an entry in your boot loader.

    So basically a mess.

    >> Q3 : This is for pro use, so getting this distro is a pretty serious matter.

    > Sorry can not see your question. What /pro use/ are you going to be doing.

    Well, not personal, scientific develepment in a professionnal environment.

    >> For instance I use a HP colour laserjet 2605dn which is not supported by
    >> any version of linux. Kernel compilation fixes this ?

    > No, again, guessing the HP driver package "hplip" would be where code
    > would be added to support the printer.

    This sentence does not make sense.

  4. Re: Mandriva general setup

    GT wrote:

    > Thanks for replying
    > Bit Twister a écrit :
    >> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:22:15 +0100, GT wrote:

    >>> For instance I use a HP colour laserjet 2605dn which is not supported by
    >>> any version of linux. Kernel compilation fixes this ?

    >> No, again, guessing the HP driver package "hplip" would be where code
    >> would be added to support the printer.

    > This sentence does not make sense.

    It actually does you know! Also your printer *is* supported under Linux.
    See the reference below. From where did you get your information? It's
    obvously seriously flawed...

    Printer support is in drivers, not within the kernel itself... 'hplip'
    is /apparently/ the driver package which caters for, among others, the
    printer you mentioned above. Follow the link below.

    http://hplip.sourceforge.net/support...s/combined.htm

    HTH

    Rob.

  5. Re: Mandriva general setup

    foo wrote:

    >> Whatever that means.
    >>

    > In Australia, "I call bull****" means I'm saying your full
    > of ****, bull**** to be precise.
    >
    > You post things saying hardware doesn't work with Linux, your
    > only example is complete rubbish, you are full of ****.

    foo

    I also am in Australia, but unlike you I don't need to resort to name
    calling and personal insults.

    I doubt the truth of much of what the OP has written, but his sources may be
    old and out-of-date. I prefer to cut someone a bit of slack before I get
    to the point of name calling - maybe that's a result of getting a bit older
    and hopefully wiser as well as having the experience of over 20 years of
    using newsgroups and the like.

    By staying polite here we may be better able to help each other in using
    Linux (particularly Mandriva) more easily and to avoid any potential
    pitfalls.

    For the OP, "Google is your friend". Search on your issue /before/ you post
    here and maybe let us know where you got your info, particularly if the
    view you have is critical of Linux generally, or even just your distro.
    Then we will know if your sources are reputable or maybe out-of-date, or
    (shock, horror ) something is actually not possible under Linux - these
    days, fortunately, becoming far rarer.

    Rob.

  6. Re: Mandriva general setup

    Rob wrote:

    > foo
    >
    > I also am in Australia, but unlike you I don't need to resort to name
    > calling and personal insults.

    Fair enough roo, I don't answer many nntp posts because
    not many are worth the time/effort. When when I do answer, I always
    try to be useful. But this poster is posting things that are very
    wrong, and others may find these posts and believe these comments.

    Fell free to check my history via google groups.

    > I doubt the truth of much of what the OP has written, but his sources may be
    > old and out-of-date. I prefer to cut someone a bit of slack before I get
    > to the point of name calling - maybe that's a result of getting a bit older
    > and hopefully wiser as well as having the experience of over 20 years of
    > using newsgroups and the like.

    Sure, my first browser was Mosaic on a Sparc II, don't remember
    what my first nntp client was, I've seen my fair share as well.

    I didn't name call, I said they were full of ****.

    > By staying polite here we may be better able to help each other in using
    > Linux (particularly Mandriva) more easily and to avoid any potential
    > pitfalls.

    My tone was deliberate, the OP posted complete rubbish,
    others might see this and think it is true. With any luck my reply
    might show new users that "Linux doesn't work" is 99% wrong.

    > For the OP, "Google is your friend". Search on your issue /before/ you post
    > here and maybe let us know where you got your info, particularly if the
    > view you have is critical of Linux generally, or even just your distro.
    > Then we will know if your sources are reputable or maybe out-of-date, or
    > (shock, horror ) something is actually not possible under Linux - these
    > days, fortunately, becoming far rarer.

    Good suggestion, but see the response to Bit Twister's first point.
    Anybody that's been around for a while can see what's what.

    > Rob.

    Cheers,
    foo

  7. Re: Mandriva general setup

    foo wrote:

    > Fair enough roo

    That should be "Rob" and not "roo" of course, sorry about that.

  8. Re: Mandriva general setup

    foo wrote:

    > foo wrote:
    >>
    >> Fair enough roo

    > That should be "Rob" and not "roo" of course, sorry about that.

    Given that I come from "down under" maybe 'roo' fits as well - maybe it'll
    give me the extra bounce that I seem to be missing sometimes these
    days! :-/

    Really, no probs, mate... [ just trying to live up to our national image by
    talking dinkum strine. I wonder whether 'Little Johnnie' would approve? ]

    Rob.

  9. Re: Mandriva general setup

    GT wrote:
    > Small but all important question : I feel mandriva seems the best
    > solution for my needs. However the biggest problem for me is the
    > hardware recognition. There's always a problem.
    > So, I understand recompiling the kernel is the solution for all hardware
    > to be recognised to work properly.
    >
    > Q1 : Is this true?
    > Q2 : How does one recompile the kernel?
    > Q3 : This is for pro use, so getting this distro is a pretty serious
    > matter.
    >
    > For instance I use a HP colour laserjet 2605dn which is not supported by
    > any version of linux. Kernel compilation fixes this ?
    >
    > I thank you all.

    GT,

    Petty point first: Get rid of the V-card rubbish when posting
    to a USENET Linux group or you will see no further reply from me.

    First significant point: "hardware recognition. There's always
    a problem" tells us absolutely nothing useful. Specify what
    hardware you have, and what is not getting recognized. Adding
    in what you have done that might enable/disable/affect this
    would be useful.

    Recompiling the kernel is not the solution. Unless you are
    prepared to review and set maybe a hundred or so variables that
    will determine how your kernel will be tailored, you should not
    attempt it. Fortunately, it is almost never needed these days,
    though you _may_ need to compile a package of drivers for
    video, wireless, or other purpose. This is normally fairly
    easy, and instructions for Mandriva are usually available on
    forum alt.os.linux.mandriva (where this really should be posted;
    this forum is obsolete) or in other documentation. Getting
    tv cards to work seems to giving some problems, but that is
    about all I can think of at the moment that should deter you
    from trying Linux for your (undefined) purpose.

    HP works with Linux developers to provide drivers for
    its products, so most HP devices are (or soon will be)
    supported by Linux. But you may need to get the software
    package you need from HP's download website. The provider
    of your distribution may or may not provide a tailored
    version of the software package. If not, go to HP.
    Do note that not all features will work for some devices.

    Finally, if you do install Mandriva or some other version
    of Linux, add it to your system rather than remove your
    Micro$loth Winblows OS. With a dual-boot machine, if
    Linux does not do what you want, you can boot back into
    Winblows, delete the Linux hard drive partitions and reformat
    them for Winblows, and use the Winblows utility to restore
    your MBR. Nothing lost except your time experimenting.

    If you wish to be paranoid about reversion to WinBlows,
    add a hard disk to your system and install Linux on it.
    If it does not work, reformat the Linux hard disk in its
    entirety, fix your MBR using the WinBlows utility, and
    proceed onward.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: Mandriva general setup

    Hi,
    First things first.
    The following is not for this post only, but "takes care" of the
    preceeding posts as well.
    As far as being rude is concerned, I would be wasting my time
    talking about it. You obviously know everything ahead of time and
    entering a p*ssing contest, I have no time for.

    This said I find that linux-based ngs are by far the rudest. Some ngs
    are plain stupid, but answers which basically call the writer an idiot
    without letting on what KIND of info is required are not really
    helping the requester help by supplying the right kind of info.

    Anyway, concerning the compilation of kernel.
    YES I have been told, several times and by different people that doing
    that with everything attached gets linux to accept the surrounding hardware.
    No need to call rubbish. True or false that is what I was told.

    Now, I am not a newbie, by quite a few years but it's not because I have
    a driving licence that I can build an engine, nor might I wish to.
    I have gone into kernel stuff, and it is definitely not something I wish
    to get into without some serious assurance first.
    Google / ng provide that, to some extent.
    If you are kind enough to let me know what is required to get the info,
    fine. If you are not for whatever reason, let it be, no insults,
    implicit or explicit, and go take a shower and cool down.

    > Petty point first: Get rid of the V-card rubbish when posting
    > to a USENET Linux group or you will see no further reply from me.

    No need for the tone. All you need is ask. I thought it had been done
    previously and since I cannot see if it does it or not until the post
    gets posted , there you go.

    > First significant point: "hardware recognition. There's always
    > a problem" tells us absolutely nothing useful. Specify what
    > hardware you have, and what is not getting recognized. Adding
    > in what you have done that might enable/disable/affect this
    > would be useful.

    I have : I use the printer HP color laserjet 2605dn at work, I do not
    see it on the HP site, nor linux drivers.
    Mandriva does not have a list either (being prepared, so they say)
    So, question, is there any way I can know whether they'll talk to each
    other?
    More info than this : please be more specific.
    Remember :

    "I feel mandriva seems the best solution for my needs."

    means I have not acquired yet.

    > Finally, if you do install Mandriva or some other version
    > of Linux, add it to your system rather than remove your
    > Micro$loth Winblows OS. With a dual-boot machine, if
    > Linux does not do what you want, you can boot back into
    > Winblows, delete the Linux hard drive partitions and reformat
    > them for Winblows, and use the Winblows utility to restore
    > your MBR. Nothing lost except your time experimenting.

    I have been using dual boots for years. I use windows for multimedia and
    linux for work mainly.
    But thank you for thinking about it.

    So, I hope I have been clearer. If you feel I need more abuse, do
    yourself, and me, a favour and go to the next msg.

    Thanks.

    Normally no vcard should follow.

    > jim b.

  11. Re: Mandriva general setup

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:07:22 +0100, GT wrote:

    > Anyway, concerning the compilation of kernel. YES I have been told,
    > several times and by different people that doing that with everything
    > attached gets linux to accept the surrounding hardware. No need to call
    > rubbish. True or false that is what I was told.

    As stated, it's completely false. More than likely you misunderstood what
    was said. The kernel source has support for a multitude of hardware but
    not all of it is turned on for any distro i know of because some of the
    hardware is in rare use. If you have some of this hardware, then you can
    compile the kernel and get it working. But you have to configure it
    first. Most times it already compiled in as a module that just isn't
    loaded during boot. If that's the case, you just need to load it in the
    init scripts some place. However, printer drivers are usually configured
    by cups configuration. If there isn't a driver for your printer in the
    driver database, you'll need to add it.

    > I have : I use the printer HP color laserjet 2605dn at work, I do not
    > see it on the HP site, nor linux drivers. Mandriva does not have a list
    > either (being prepared, so they say) So, question, is there any way I
    > can know whether they'll talk to each other?

    This site is far from complete, but it list a lot of printers and is a
    place to start. and here's your printer.

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr..._LaserJet_2605

    HP Color LaserJet 2605
    Color laser printer, max. 600x600 dpi, works Perfectly
    Recommended driver: Postscript (Home page, custom PPD)
    Generic instructions for: CUPS, LPD, LPRng, PPR, PDQ, no spooler

  12. Re: Mandriva general setup

    GT writes:

    > Hi,
    > This said I find that linux-based ngs are by far the rudest. Some ngs
    > are plain stupid, but answers which basically call the writer an idiot
    > without letting on what KIND of info is required are not really
    > helping the requester help by supplying the right kind of info.

    Funny, I read a lot of NGs and I disagree.

    > Anyway, concerning the compilation of kernel.
    > YES I have been told, several times and by different people that doing
    > that with everything attached gets linux to accept the surrounding
    > hardware.
    > No need to call rubbish. True or false that is what I was told.

    Since kernel compilation does _nothing_ as far as hardware recognition
    it's hard to say whether you were talking to the sadly misinformed or
    whether you misunderstood.

    > Now, I am not a newbie, by quite a few years but it's not because I
    > have a driving licence that I can build an engine, nor might I wish to.
    > I have gone into kernel stuff, and it is definitely not something I wish
    > to get into without some serious assurance first.
    > Google / ng provide that, to some extent.

    Huh?

    Maybe the way you post led to some misunderstandings.

    >> First significant point: "hardware recognition. There's always
    >> a problem" tells us absolutely nothing useful. Specify what
    >> hardware you have, and what is not getting recognized. Adding
    >> in what you have done that might enable/disable/affect this
    >> would be useful.

    > I have : I use the printer HP color laserjet 2605dn at work, I do not
    > see it on the HP site, nor linux drivers.
    > Mandriva does not have a list either (being prepared, so they say)
    > So, question, is there any way I can know whether they'll talk to each
    > other?
    > More info than this : please be more specific.
    > Remember :
    >
    > "I feel mandriva seems the best solution for my needs."
    > means I have not acquired yet.

    I don't think the quote leads to that conclusion.
    I certainly didn't read it that way.
    Nor did you mention you are basing your incorrect conclusion
    on the Mandriva compatibility list.

    A general Google search would be more informative.

    Best advice is to go ahead and do an install.

  13. Re: Mandriva general setup

    GT writes:

    >--------------070502050109010802060805

    >Hi all,
    >Small but all important question : I feel mandriva seems the best
    >solution for my needs. However the biggest problem for me is the
    >hardware recognition. There's always a problem.
    >So, I understand recompiling the kernel is the solution for all hardware
    >to be recognised to work properly.

    >Q1 : Is this true?

    NO.

    >Q2 : How does one recompile the kernel?

    Don't

    >Q3 : This is for pro use, so getting this distro is a pretty serious matter.

    >For instance I use a HP colour laserjet 2605dn which is not supported by
    >any version of linux. Kernel compilation fixes this ?

    NONONONONONONO.
    It is a network printer which understands postscript. Just use printerdrake
    to tell it where the printer is HP tends to like to use
    socket://111.222.333.444:9100
    where 111.222.333.444 is replaced by the ip address of your printer.
    That's it.

    CErtainly NO recompilation of the kernel.

    Yee gads. Someone has a lot to answer for for this stupid "kernel
    recompilation" advice. It is virtually NEVER necessary to recompile the
    kernel. It almost always causes far far more problems than it solves.

  14. Re: Mandriva general setup

    GT writes:

    >--------------020406060705000006040004

    >foo a écrit :
    >> GT wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> Small but all important question : I feel mandriva seems the best
    >>> solution for my needs. However the biggest problem for me is the
    >>> hardware recognition. There's always a problem.

    >> Name the problem, or I call bull****.

    >well, I install Linux, the hardware driver of whatever is not present.
    >Example : get the screen to fit the "flat" panoramic screens.

    If you told us what it was you have help might be forthcoming. ""flat"
    panoramic screens" means nothing to me.

    >>> Q2 : How does one recompile the kernel?

    >> Several ways to do it, if you need to ask, you wouldn't understand
    >> and you haven't bothered to do any research.*

    >Well if I know about recompiling the kernel I have probably looked into
    >it already, seen that it is a pretty major step, evaluated the
    >consequences and decided to get as much help/advice as possible before
    >crashing the machine.
    >If I did not need to ask, I wouldn't.

    Do not worry about thekernel. Put a tick mark against the person who gave
    you that advice as a useless advisor who has not clue.

  15. Re: Mandriva general setup

    >Compiling a Linux kernel (and then using it) is quite trivial.
    >What have you tried exactly ? Let me guess, nothing.

    I am sorry but this is bull****. You have never compiled a kernel from
    scratch. YOu are asked about 3000 questions about various and sundry
    modules that no newbie knows what they are about, or what the "right"
    answer is. And if you get it wrong your system will NOT work. Oh, you mean
    you have never gone through setting up a config and simplyuse someone
    elses? Why are you compiling your kernel then?

    >> Well, thank you, it is not that obviousn and yes I had looked into it.
    >> I think bull**** is too far away to hear.

    >If you had looked into it, you would have found the solution
    >to your problem, nobody else has this problem because they
    >actually tried and succeeded in setting up a LaserJet 2605dn.

    >Your problem does not exist in the real world.

    His problem does exist, and since he exists in the real world, so does the
    problem His problem is "How do you set up Mandriva to use Printer XXXXXX"

    >> Whatever that means.
    >>

    >In Australia, "I call bull****" means I'm saying your full
    >of ****, bull**** to be precise.

    Unfortuantely your answers are even more useless than his questions.

    >You post things saying hardware doesn't work with Linux, your
    >only example is complete rubbish, you are full of ****.

    He asks for help and you respond like this? Go away.

  16. Re: Mandriva general setup

    foo writes:

    >Rob wrote:
    >>
    >> foo
    >>
    >> I also am in Australia, but unlike you I don't need to resort to name
    >> calling and personal insults.

    >Fair enough roo, I don't answer many nntp posts because
    >not many are worth the time/effort. When when I do answer, I always
    >try to be useful. But this poster is posting things that are very
    >wrong, and others may find these posts and believe these comments.

    >Fell free to check my history via google groups.

    >> I doubt the truth of much of what the OP has written, but his sources may be
    >> old and out-of-date. I prefer to cut someone a bit of slack before I get
    >> to the point of name calling - maybe that's a result of getting a bit older
    >> and hopefully wiser as well as having the experience of over 20 years of
    >> using newsgroups and the like.

    >Sure, my first browser was Mosaic on a Sparc II, don't remember
    >what my first nntp client was, I've seen my fair share as well.

    >I didn't name call, I said they were full of ****.

    I am sorry but even in australia that is "name calling".

    >> By staying polite here we may be better able to help each other in using
    >> Linux (particularly Mandriva) more easily and to avoid any potential
    >> pitfalls.

    >My tone was deliberate, the OP posted complete rubbish,
    >others might see this and think it is true. With any luck my reply
    >might show new users that "Linux doesn't work" is 99% wrong.

    What others will see is a complete asshole attacking instead of helping an
    obviously confused person. I presume that when someone comes up to you on
    the street and asks for directions, you push him into the road.

  17. Re: Mandriva general setup

    GT writes:

    >Hi,
    >First things first.
    >The following is not for this post only, but "takes care" of the
    >preceeding posts as well.
    >As far as being rude is concerned, I would be wasting my time
    >talking about it. You obviously know everything ahead of time and
    >entering a p*ssing contest, I have no time for.

    >This said I find that linux-based ngs are by far the rudest. Some ngs
    >are plain stupid, but answers which basically call the writer an idiot
    >without letting on what KIND of info is required are not really
    >helping the requester help by supplying the right kind of info.

    >Anyway, concerning the compilation of kernel.
    >YES I have been told, several times and by different people that doing
    >that with everything attached gets linux to accept the surrounding hardware.
    >No need to call rubbish. True or false that is what I was told.

    And the person who told you that is unreliable. You know now something you
    did not know before asking here.

    >Now, I am not a newbie, by quite a few years but it's not because I have
    >a driving licence that I can build an engine, nor might I wish to.
    >I have gone into kernel stuff, and it is definitely not something I wish
    >to get into without some serious assurance first.
    >Google / ng provide that, to some extent.
    >If you are kind enough to let me know what is required to get the info,
    >fine. If you are not for whatever reason, let it be, no insults,
    >implicit or explicit, and go take a shower and cool down.

    >> Petty point first: Get rid of the V-card rubbish when posting
    >> to a USENET Linux group or you will see no further reply from me.

    >No need for the tone. All you need is ask. I thought it had been done
    >previously and since I cannot see if it does it or not until the post
    >gets posted , there you go.

    Other's annoyance comes through.

    >> First significant point: "hardware recognition. There's always
    >> a problem" tells us absolutely nothing useful. Specify what
    >> hardware you have, and what is not getting recognized. Adding
    >> in what you have done that might enable/disable/affect this
    >> would be useful.

    >I have : I use the printer HP color laserjet 2605dn at work, I do not
    >see it on the HP site, nor linux drivers.

    It is a network printer ( the "n" in the name ) which recognizes
    postscript.

    >Mandriva does not have a list either (being prepared, so they say)

    Mandriva uses cups. The question is whether or not there is a ppd file for
    the printer. HP has them ( if nothing else in the Mac package).

    >So, question, is there any way I can know whether they'll talk to each
    >other?
    >More info than this : please be more specific.
    >Remember :

    >"I feel mandriva seems the best solution for my needs."

    >means I have not acquired yet.

    >> Finally, if you do install Mandriva or some other version
    >> of Linux, add it to your system rather than remove your
    >> Micro$loth Winblows OS. With a dual-boot machine, if
    >> Linux does not do what you want, you can boot back into
    >> Winblows, delete the Linux hard drive partitions and reformat
    >> them for Winblows, and use the Winblows utility to restore
    >> your MBR. Nothing lost except your time experimenting.

    >I have been using dual boots for years. I use windows for multimedia and
    >linux for work mainly.
    >But thank you for thinking about it.

    >So, I hope I have been clearer. If you feel I need more abuse, do
    >yourself, and me, a favour and go to the next msg.

    >Thanks.

    >Normally no vcard should follow.

    >> jim b.

  18. Re: Mandriva general setup

    Unruh wrote:
    >> Compiling a Linux kernel (and then using it) is quite trivial.
    >> What have you tried exactly ? Let me guess, nothing.

    > I am sorry but this is bull****. You have never compiled a kernel from
    > scratch. YOu are asked about 3000 questions about various and sundry
    > modules that no newbie knows what they are about, or what the "right"
    > answer is. And if you get it wrong your system will NOT work. Oh, you mean
    > you have never gone through setting up a config and simplyuse someone
    > elses? Why are you compiling your kernel then?

    That's correct, when I have needed (not for several years) to modify
    a distribution kernel, I start with the distribution .config and
    adjust to suit my needs. I have never directly downloaded from
    kernel.org, but have used/modified/patched the src linux kernels from cooker.

    When I'm happy with the result I would build a new rpm using
    the distributions spec file.

    Do you understand that you can pick between several kernels via
    your boot loader ? So your system will still work if you get
    it wrong.

    If you answer the 3000 questions your not doing it the easy way.
    Anyone who has built custom kernels knows that it's trivial.
    Anyone who thinks it hard, is doing it the hard way.
    Perhaps you think it's non trivial because you need to think about it.

    >>> Well, thank you, it is not that obviousn and yes I had looked into it.
    >>> I think bull**** is too far away to hear.

    >> If you had looked into it, you would have found the solution
    >> to your problem, nobody else has this problem because they
    >> actually tried and succeeded in setting up a LaserJet 2605dn.

    >> Your problem does not exist in the real world.

    > His problem does exist, and since he exists in the real world, so does the
    > problem His problem is "How do you set up Mandriva to use Printer XXXXXX"

    In case you missed it, this is exactly what was posted :

    For instance I use a HP colour laserjet 2605dn which
    is not supported by any version of linux.

    You forgot to include that in your reply.
    I wonder if you'll now state that Linux is a kernel, not a distribution
    or a printing system or ...

    >>> Whatever that means.
    >>>

    >> In Australia, "I call bull****" means I'm saying your full
    >> of ****, bull**** to be precise.

    > Unfortuantely your answers are even more useless than his questions.
    >
    >> You post things saying hardware doesn't work with Linux, your
    >> only example is complete rubbish, you are full of ****.

    > He asks for help and you respond like this? Go away.

    Sure. Before I go, why don't you advise GT to ensure the "hplip"
    packages are installed before running printerdrake.

    Keep up the good work.

  19. Re: Mandriva general setup

    Unruh wrote:
    > foo writes:
    >
    >> I didn't name call, I said they were full of ****.

    > I am sorry but even in australia that is "name calling".

    "Hey wanker, your full of ****" is name calling.
    The "wanker" part is the name calling.

    >> My tone was deliberate, the OP posted complete rubbish,
    >> others might see this and think it is true. With any luck my reply
    >> might show new users that "Linux doesn't work" is 99% wrong.

    > What others will see is a complete asshole attacking instead of helping an
    > obviously confused person. I presume that when someone comes up to you on
    > the street and asks for directions, you push him into the road.

    Your comparing cheese and chalk, a common mistake.
    And Australia starts with a capital A.

  20. Re: Mandriva general setup

    GT wrote:
    > Hi,
    > First things first.
    > The following is not for this post only, but "takes care" of the
    > preceeding posts as well.
    > As far as being rude is concerned, I would be wasting my time
    > talking about it. You obviously know everything ahead of time and
    > entering a p*ssing contest, I have no time for.
    >
    > This said I find that linux-based ngs are by far the rudest. Some ngs
    > are plain stupid, but answers which basically call the writer an idiot
    > without letting on what KIND of info is required are not really
    > helping the requester help by supplying the right kind of info.
    >
    > Anyway, concerning the compilation of kernel.
    > YES I have been told, several times and by different people that doing
    > that with everything attached gets linux to accept the surrounding
    > hardware.
    > No need to call rubbish. True or false that is what I was told.
    >
    > Now, I am not a newbie, by quite a few years but it's not because I have
    > a driving licence that I can build an engine, nor might I wish to.
    > I have gone into kernel stuff, and it is definitely not something I wish
    > to get into without some serious assurance first.
    > Google / ng provide that, to some extent.
    > If you are kind enough to let me know what is required to get the info,
    > fine. If you are not for whatever reason, let it be, no insults,
    > implicit or explicit, and go take a shower and cool down.
    >
    >> Petty point first: Get rid of the V-card rubbish when posting
    >> to a USENET Linux group or you will see no further reply from me.

    > No need for the tone. All you need is ask. I thought it had been done
    > previously and since I cannot see if it does it or not until the post
    > gets posted , there you go.

    BitTwister asked. No effect, over multiple additional posts from you.
    My judgment: Tone justified.

    >> First significant point: "hardware recognition. There's always
    >> a problem" tells us absolutely nothing useful. Specify what
    >> hardware you have, and what is not getting recognized. Adding
    >> in what you have done that might enable/disable/affect this
    >> would be useful.

    > I have : I use the printer HP color laserjet 2605dn at work, I do not
    > see it on the HP site, nor linux drivers.
    > Mandriva does not have a list either (being prepared, so they say)
    > So, question, is there any way I can know whether they'll talk to each
    > other?

    You might Google
    hp laserjet linux 2605dn
    and look around in the more promising hits listed on the first
    page. No need to go through 20 or 30 items, just the first
    handful. And you might find things like,

    > Does anybody have an idea where to get appropriate driver software (I

    Debian Etch /* Not Mandriva, but a big big clue that somethis is *
    * available for Linux */

    sudo apt-get install linuxprinting.org-ppds /* Software pkg to get */

    and you can find driver:

    /usr/share/ppd/postscript/linuxprinting.org/HP/HP_Color_LaserJet_2605.ppd.gz

    This printer was a bear to get running Under CentOS v5.0 (Final),
    but I got it running with the network interface using both a CUPS interface and
    an HP (Foomatic) interface.
    Set up the "port" as a socket using the HP jetdirect and the IP address on your
    local
    network. define the printer model as: HP Color LaserJet v2013.114 Postscript
    (recommended).
    Try the test page! It will look great and function well. No tray selection
    problems either.
    Both the CUPS interface and the generic postscript interface work well.
    -Mitch W2MKB

    Ans some other things, such as advise that the thing will work as a "raw"
    postscript printer, set up as a network printer.

    > More info than this : please be more specific.
    > Remember :
    >
    > "I feel mandriva seems the best solution for my needs."
    >
    > means I have not acquired yet.

    Have not acquired what? OS? Printer? Clue?

    >> Finally, if you do install Mandriva or some other version
    >> of Linux, add it to your system rather than remove your
    >> Micro$loth Winblows OS. With a dual-boot machine, if
    >> Linux does not do what you want, you can boot back into
    >> Winblows, delete the Linux hard drive partitions and reformat
    >> them for Winblows, and use the Winblows utility to restore
    >> your MBR. Nothing lost except your time experimenting.

    > I have been using dual boots for years. I use windows for multimedia and
    > linux for work mainly.
    > But thank you for thinking about it.
    >
    > So, I hope I have been clearer. If you feel I need more abuse, do
    > yourself, and me, a favour and go to the next msg.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Normally no vcard should follow.

    I am entirely willing to provide abuse, but at the
    moment dinner has a higher priority. I will return to
    this later and see if I can (possibly) make a useful
    contribution.

    In any case, my guess is that Mandriva will do what you
    want.

    Cheers!

    jim b.