usb not loading: a strange story - Mandrake

This is a discussion on usb not loading: a strange story - Mandrake ; I recently dusted off a retired old machine, found some more memory to put in it, and decided to get it running. It had 2 hd's. I did a clean install of 2006, and things were working fine. Disk layout ...

  1. usb not loading: a strange story

    I recently dusted off a retired old machine, found some more memory to
    put in it, and decided to get it running.
    It had 2 hd's. I did a clean install of 2006, and things were working
    fine. Disk layout as follows (bear with me, you'll see the relevance
    soon):
    hda: /var, /tmp, an old windows partition, and large spare partition.
    hdc: /, /usr, /usr/local, /home
    After a couple of days, hdc started acting up. Would work for a while
    and then fail. So, I reformated the windows and spare partitions on
    hda and, following the directions in the "Upgrading a Hard drive"
    howto
    (using the cp -a /usr /etc /bin .... /new/ method). Then created /new/
    {proc,sys},
    modified the /new/etc/fstab and /new/boot/grub/menu.lst, plus setup
    grub
    to live in hda's mbr. I'm sure you all know the drill.

    So, all seemed well, *except* that when I booted up the 'new' system
    now residing solely on hda, there was no usb support whatsoever.
    dmesg|grep usb gives nothing. I did a file-by-file cmp of /etc and /
    new/etc.
    Other than fstab/mtab, no differences at all!

    I set it up so I could boot into either the "old" hdc-rooted sys or
    the new one. The hdc-rooted one loads all of the usb drivers, and
    everything works fine, picks up my thumb-drive when I plug it in. The
    hda-based does nothing.
    I can manually modprobe the usb stuff, then do udev force-reload, and
    then the "new" system works fine. But why this difference? It is
    driving me crazy, and hope somebody can shed some light.

    thanks, Scott.

  2. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:40:09 -0500, DrMemory wrote:

    > So, all seemed well, *except* that when I booted up the 'new' system
    > now residing solely on hda, there was no usb support whatsoever.
    > dmesg|grep usb gives nothing. I did a file-by-file cmp of /etc and /
    > new/etc.
    > Other than fstab/mtab, no differences at all!

    Only thing I can think of, is to double check the permissions of directories
    like /tmp, /dev, etc. I've seen problems with that, when using the cp -a
    method of copying a root directory, even though booted from a cd.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > Only thing I can think of, is to double check the permissions of directories
    > like /tmp, /dev, etc. I've seen problems with that, when using the cp -a
    > method of copying a root directory, even though booted from a cd.

    Perhaps it needed a cp -ap or maybe a cp -apL version of the copy command?
    Permissions and symbolic (or maybe even hard) links would seem a possible
    problem.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    On Nov 17, 7:31 am, Jim Beard wrote:
    > > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:40:09 -0500, DrMemory wrote:

    > >> So, all seemed well, *except* that when I booted up the 'new' system
    > >> now residing solely on hda, there was no usb support whatsoever.
    > >> dmesg|grep usb gives nothing. I did a file-by-file cmp of /etc and /
    > >> new/etc.
    > >> Other than fstab/mtab, no differences at all!

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > > Only thing I can think of, is to double check the permissions of directories
    > > like /tmp, /dev, etc. I've seen problems with that, when using the cp -a
    > > method of copying a root directory, even though booted from a cd.

    All of the permissions, symlinks etc. seem to be exactly identical!

    > Perhaps it needed a cp -ap or maybe a cp -apL version of the copy command?
    > Permissions and symbolic (or maybe even hard) links would seem a possible
    > problem.

    The manual says -a is equivalent to -dpPR

    It looks like the /sys structure isn't getting set up right, causing
    later bootscripts to not see that there is any usb in place. I have no
    idea where the /sys gets set up, someplace deep in the kernel? This
    just has me baffled.

    Thanks for any further ideas if anyone has any!

    Scott.

  5. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:23:04 -0500, DrMemory wrote:

    > It looks like the /sys structure isn't getting set up right, causing
    > later bootscripts to not see that there is any usb in place. I have no
    > idea where the /sys gets set up, someplace deep in the kernel? This
    > just has me baffled.

    /sys is setup by the kernel. This may be the problem. When you boot
    from a cd, or other linux system, mount and browse the root partition
    of the new installation, /sys should be empty. If you have copied
    directories into it, that may be preventing the kernel from setting
    them up.

    In my case, I was copying from a filesystem where /tmp was on a seperate
    filesystem (mounted during the copy), to a filesystem where the /tmp
    directory was in the root filesystem. The result was wrong settings of
    the permissions for the /tmp directory. ls -l showed an uppercase T
    instead of a lowercase t. I also found the -x option was not keeping
    the copy source, restricted to one file system, as I expected, causing
    a lot of problems where absolute symlinks were used. I ended up
    switching to rsysnc, which is much faster anyway.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:23:04 -0500, DrMemory wrote:
    >
    > > It looks like the /sys structure isn't getting set up right, causing
    > > later bootscripts to not see that there is any usb in place. I have no
    > > idea where the /sys gets set up, someplace deep in the kernel? This
    > > just has me baffled.

    > /sys is setup by the kernel. This may be the problem. When you boot
    > from a cd, or other linux system, mount and browse the root partition
    > of the new installation, /sys should be empty. If you have copied
    > directories into it, that may be preventing the kernel from setting
    > them up.

    I made sure not to copy either the /sys or the /proc, but just to
    create those directories. Should I not even be creating the /sys
    mountpoint??! I'll try removing it when I get home tonight, then
    reboot. Grasping at straws....

    Thanks,
    scott.

  7. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:57:40 -0500, DrMemory wrote:

    > I made sure not to copy either the /sys or the /proc, but just to
    > create those directories. Should I not even be creating the /sys
    > mountpoint??! I'll try removing it when I get home tonight, then
    > reboot. Grasping at straws....

    No, the /sys and /proc directories must exist, to be used as mountpoints.

    Is lspci showing your usb Controllers?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:57:40 -0500, DrMemory wrote:
    >
    > > I made sure not to copy either the /sys or the /proc, but just to
    > > create those directories. Should I not even be creating the /sys
    > > mountpoint??! I'll try removing it when I get home tonight, then
    > > reboot. Grasping at straws....

    > No, the /sys and /proc directories must exist, to be used as mountpoints.

    Right... that's what I thought. [OT: A friend reported that, under
    mandriva
    2008, the /sys on his unmounted partition was minimally populated?
    Seems strange....]

    > Is lspci showing your usb Controllers?

    Yes.

    I tried adding "service usb start" in rc.sysinit right before udev is
    started. It did load the usb modules, but there were *still* no
    /dev/sd* devices created. So you plug in a thumb-drive, it lights up,
    but no way to access it. Fortunately, it *seems* that the drive which
    was showing the errors has settled down. May have just been too cold
    from sitting out in the Montana weather, although I did let it warm up
    for 12 hours after bringing it in to the house. I will keep this setup
    intact in case anybody has an idea of what is going on, since this is
    so strange.

    Thanks,

    Scott.

  9. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:40:25 -0500, DrMemory wrote:

    > I tried adding "service usb start" in rc.sysinit right before udev is
    > started. It did load the usb modules, but there were *still* no
    > /dev/sd* devices created. So you plug in a thumb-drive, it lights up,

    Had to look back to your original post. 2006 is a very old version.
    In 2008.0, there is no /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb. It's all handled by udev
    and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

    Anyway, try adding the usbcore, usb_storage, and scsi_mod to
    /etc/modprobe.preload. Those are the modules used in 2008.0. I'm
    assuming they were the same in 2006.

    Also, try changing the udev logging in /etc/udev/udev.conf
    to debug.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Had to look back to your original post. 2006 is a very old version.

    Well, the machine this one is intended to replace is still running
    7.1, so I guess age is a relative thing....

    > In 2008.0, there is no /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb. It's all handled by udev
    > and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

    Yeah, that's how it is supposed to happen in 2006 too. Dunno why they
    left the init.d/usb lying around.

    > Anyway, try adding the usbcore, usb_storage, and scsi_mod to
    > /etc/modprobe.preload. Those are the modules used in 2008.0. I'm
    > assuming they were the same in 2006.
    >
    > Also, try changing the udev logging in /etc/udev/udev.conf
    > to debug.

    Okay, tried all of that, with no luck. I notice that it doesn't
    mention "debug" in the udev.conf file comment, as it does in 2007 and
    2008? Where would I be looking for debug output? I don't see any udev
    lines in the log files I looked at: messages, syslog, all of the logs
    under /var/log/daemons.... In fact an rgrep there found nothing for
    udev on the buggy system.

    Thanks,
    Scott Swanson

  11. Re: usb not loading: a strange story

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:25:28 -0500, DrMemory wrote:

    > Okay, tried all of that, with no luck. I notice that it doesn't
    > mention "debug" in the udev.conf file comment, as it does in 2007 and
    > 2008? Where would I be looking for debug output? I don't see any udev
    > lines in the log files I looked at: messages, syslog, all of the logs
    > under /var/log/daemons.... In fact an rgrep there found nothing for
    > udev on the buggy system.

    Sorry to be so long getting back to you on this.

    Anyway, I just tried rebooting, after changing the log value to debug.
    After watching about 5000 lines scroll by, during boot up, I checked,
    and they were all logged in both /var/log/messages, and syslog.

    I'd try killing the current udevd process, and running udevd as a
    foreground app, with export UDEV_LOG=info; udevd --verbose

    Check the man page, on that system, first, to ensure the above looks
    valid.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins