Re: [OT] Power, etc. - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Re: [OT] Power, etc. - Mandrake ; On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:31:05 GMT, Adam wrote: > I was assuming that all the text strings from the BIOS setup screens > would be in the boot ROM (EEPROM), not some disk file. I copied the > EEPROM ...

  1. Re: [OT] Power, etc.

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:31:05 GMT, Adam wrote:

    > I was assuming that all the text strings from the BIOS setup screens
    > would be in the boot ROM (EEPROM), not some disk file. I copied the
    > EEPROM to a disk file because I couldn't figure out how to access it
    > directly, but don't see the text strings from the BIOS setup screens,
    > unless they're encoded or something.

    Can we assume you did a strings disk_fn_here

  2. Re: [OT] Power, etc.

    Bit Twister wrote:
    >> I was assuming that all the text strings from the BIOS setup screens
    >> would be in the boot ROM (EEPROM), not some disk file. I copied the
    >> EEPROM to a disk file because I couldn't figure out how to access it
    >> directly, but don't see the text strings from the BIOS setup screens,
    >> unless they're encoded or something.

    > Can we assume you did a strings disk_fn_here

    Thanks for the tip. Yep, I looked through the entire 256K with
    'hexedit'. Then I edited the output of 'strings' and ended up with less
    than 1K of recognizable text. This is an SMBIOS from AMI if that makes
    any difference. BTW to get the ROM to disk, I used the program that
    would update the flash ROM, only I used the "save current ROM to disk
    file" command instead.

    Adam

+ Reply to Thread