How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ? - Mandrake ; On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:29 -0500, djin wrote: > I was an hour late for my class today because Mandrake 10.1 > automatically changed to EST from EDT and I didn't realize it. How do I > disable this? ...

  1. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:29 -0500, djin wrote:

    > I was an hour late for my class today because Mandrake 10.1
    > automatically changed to EST from EDT and I didn't realize it. How do I
    > disable this? Or better yet, configure it so it knows the new time
    > change dates? I'm not seeing any obvious option like "enable Daylight
    > Savings Time" in anything associated with right-clicking the time. Using
    > KDE 3.2.

    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=lin...p=mss&ei=UTF-8

  2. How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    I was an hour late for my class today because Mandrake 10.1 automatically
    changed to EST from EDT and I didn't realize it. How do I disable this? Or
    better yet, configure it so it knows the new time change dates? I'm not
    seeing any obvious option like "enable Daylight Savings Time" in anything
    associated with right-clicking the time. Using KDE 3.2.

  3. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:40:07 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:29 -0500, djin wrote:
    >
    >> I was an hour late for my class today because Mandrake 10.1
    >> automatically changed to EST from EDT and I didn't realize it. How do I
    >> disable this? Or better yet, configure it so it knows the new time
    >> change dates? I'm not seeing any obvious option like "enable Daylight
    >> Savings Time" in anything associated with right-clicking the time. Using
    >> KDE 3.2.

    > http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=lin...p=mss&ei=UTF-8

    I'm not seeing anything that has to do with setting the dates when EDT
    starts and EST begins (and vice versa). I've already set the timezone to
    Eastern time. That's not the problems.

  4. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    djin wrote:
    > I was an hour late for my class today because Mandrake 10.1 automatically
    > changed to EST from EDT and I didn't realize it. How do I disable this? Or
    > better yet, configure it so it knows the new time change dates? I'm not
    > seeing any obvious option like "enable Daylight Savings Time" in anything
    > associated with right-clicking the time. Using KDE 3.2.

    If one were to search Google Newsgroups a bit, one might find:

    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandriva, comp.lang.php
    From: Unruh
    Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 03:12:51 +0100 (CET)
    Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time, PHP/Mandrake Linux, March 2007. Options?

    It has been posted here many times.
    Get the file
    tzdata2007a.tar.gz /* look for a newer file, just in case */
    from many places on the web
    Go to the directory where you downloaded it
    tar -xzf tzdata2007a.tar.gz
    zic northamerica
    rm /etc/localtime
    cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Vancouver /etc/localtime
    (or if you are unfortunate enough not to live in Vancouver, use the nearest
    large city with the same timezone as you have)
    That is it.
    If you have a program which runs continuously and needs the correct local
    time, restart that program. Otherwise sit back and enjoy

    OR
    urpmi timezone-2007h-1.1mdv

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:16:27 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > djin wrote:
    >> I was an hour late for my class today because Mandrake 10.1
    >> automatically changed to EST from EDT and I didn't realize it. How do I
    >> disable this? Or better yet, configure it so it knows the new time
    >> change dates? I'm not seeing any obvious option like "enable Daylight
    >> Savings Time" in anything associated with right-clicking the time. Using
    >> KDE 3.2.

    > If one were to search Google Newsgroups a bit, one might find:
    >

    > Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandriva, comp.lang.php From: Unruh
    > Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 03:12:51 +0100 (CET)
    > Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time, PHP/Mandrake Linux, March 2007.
    > Options?
    >
    > It has been posted here many times.
    > Get the file
    > tzdata2007a.tar.gz /* look for a newer file, just in case */ from
    > many places on the web
    > Go to the directory where you downloaded it tar -xzf tzdata2007a.tar.gz
    > zic northamerica
    > rm /etc/localtime
    > cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Vancouver /etc/localtime (or if you are
    > unfortunate enough not to live in Vancouver, use the nearest large city
    > with the same timezone as you have) That is it.
    > If you have a program which runs continuously and needs the correct local
    > time, restart that program. Otherwise sit back and enjoy
    >
    > OR
    > urpmi timezone-2007h-1.1mdv
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Thank you very much. This is very helpful.

  6. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    Wes Newell writes:

    >On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:29 -0500, djin wrote:

    >> I was an hour late for my class today because Mandrake 10.1
    >> automatically changed to EST from EDT and I didn't realize it. How do I
    >> disable this? Or better yet, configure it so it knows the new time
    >> change dates? I'm not seeing any obvious option like "enable Daylight
    >> Savings Time" in anything associated with right-clicking the time. Using
    >> KDE 3.2.

    >http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=lin...p=mss&ei=UTF-8

    You have not updated your system in a long long long time, not surprizing
    since Mandrake 10.1 has been out of support for years.
    You heed to get a tzdata file Just lift it out of one of the more recent
    mandrivas (they just released tzdata 2007h) and install it with rpm. tzdata
    file formats have not changed in a long time, although the data has.

    nux dows not "enable Daylight time by rightclicking" It has a file,
    specially designed for your particular location, which tells the system
    exactly when Daylight Saving time stops and starts.

    >--
    >Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    >My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    >Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    >AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php

  7. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:51:13 -0500, djin wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:40:07 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:29 -0500, djin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was an hour late for my class today because Mandrake 10.1
    >>> automatically changed to EST from EDT and I didn't realize it. How do
    >>> I disable this? Or better yet, configure it so it knows the new time
    >>> change dates? I'm not seeing any obvious option like "enable Daylight
    >>> Savings Time" in anything associated with right-clicking the time.
    >>> Using KDE 3.2.

    >> http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=linux+timezone&fr=yfp-

    t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

    > I'm not seeing anything that has to do with setting the dates when EDT
    > starts and EST begins (and vice versa). I've already set the timezone to
    > Eastern time. That's not the problems.

    You need to upgrade your timezone files.At least the one for the timezone
    you are in. You can do this manually if you just want to overwrite the
    old files. Just ssh into a newer system and copy theirs over to yours.
    IIRC, you need /etc/localtime and then the file it gets created from.
    look for /usr/share/zoneinfo dir and replace the one for your location
    with the new one. I think that's all. Or just ssh into anyone anywhere
    and copy your location file and then copy it to /etc/localtime. that's
    all that gets done when you set the time zone anyway.

    [wes@wes2 ~]$ md5sum /etc/localtime
    6540624294b1193e22ed7a15692f2de7 /etc/localtime
    [wes@wes2 ~]$ md5sum /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago
    6540624294b1193e22ed7a15692f2de7 /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago
    [wes@wes2 ~]$

  8. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:24:33 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:51:13 -0500, djin wrote:

    >>> http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=linux+timezone&fr=yfp-

    > t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8
    >>
    >> I'm not seeing anything that has to do with setting the dates when EDT
    >> starts and EST begins (and vice versa). I've already set the timezone to
    >> Eastern time. That's not the problems.

    > You need to upgrade your timezone files. At least the one for the
    > timezone you are in. You can do this manually if you just want to
    > overwrite the old files. Just ssh into a newer system and copy theirs
    > over to yours. IIRC, you need /etc/localtime and then the file it gets
    > created from. look for /usr/share/zoneinfo dir and replace the one for
    > your location with the new one. I think that's all. Or just ssh into
    > anyone anywhere and copy your location file and then copy it to
    > /etc/localtime. that's all that gets done when you set the time zone
    > anyway.

    Thank you for the explanation. I'm not finding any /etc/localtime
    directory or file. There is a /etc/locale/en_US folder with a file called
    LC_TIME in it, but I don't know if that's the same. There is a
    /usr/share/zoneinfo directory, or more specifically a
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/US directory with a file called Eastern inside it.

  9. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:10:36 -0500, djin wrote:

    > Thank you for the explanation. I'm not finding any /etc/localtime
    > directory or file.

    Look again. It may be a symlink pointing to the file in /usr/share/
    zoneinfo directory.

    > There is a /etc/locale/en_US folder with a file
    > called LC_TIME in it, but I don't know if that's the same.

    It's not.

    > There is a
    > /usr/share/zoneinfo directory, or more specifically a
    > /usr/share/zoneinfo/US directory with a file called Eastern inside it.

    That's the one for eastern time zone (about 3 years ago). They don't use
    that format now. ~/America covers all of the Americas.

  10. Re: How do I disable automatic DST change in Mandrake 10.1 ?

    djin writes:

    >On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:24:33 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    >> t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8
    >>>
    >>> I'm not seeing anything that has to do with setting the dates when EDT
    >>> starts and EST begins (and vice versa). I've already set the timezone to
    >>> Eastern time. That's not the problems.

    >> You need to upgrade your timezone files. At least the one for the
    >> timezone you are in. You can do this manually if you just want to
    >> overwrite the old files. Just ssh into a newer system and copy theirs
    >> over to yours. IIRC, you need /etc/localtime and then the file it gets
    >> created from. look for /usr/share/zoneinfo dir and replace the one for
    >> your location with the new one. I think that's all. Or just ssh into
    >> anyone anywhere and copy your location file and then copy it to
    >> /etc/localtime. that's all that gets done when you set the time zone
    >> anyway.
    >>

    >Thank you for the explanation. I'm not finding any /etc/localtime
    >directory or file. There is a /etc/locale/en_US folder with a file called
    >LC_TIME in it, but I don't know if that's the same. There is a
    >/usr/share/zoneinfo directory, or more specifically a
    >/usr/share/zoneinfo/US directory with a file called Eastern inside it.

    Install a recent tzinfo rpm. (eg theone just released which contains 2007h)

    rpm -Uhv timezone-2007h-1.1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

    cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York /etc/localtime
    (Assuming you live in New York)
    Then edit /etc/sysconfig/clock and set UTC=true
    Then do
    hwclock --systohc -u

    Then relax, except of course you have a seriousl y out of date distro which
    is accumulating serious security bugs.

+ Reply to Thread