Installed 2008,rebooted,old 2006 started up - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Installed 2008,rebooted,old 2006 started up - Mandrake ; I installed 2008 dvd version.Every thing went smoothly but when I was prompted to remove the boot media and reboot the old 2006 ver is what came up. I have no idea where to go from here to get 2008 ...

  1. Installed 2008,rebooted,old 2006 started up

    I installed 2008 dvd version.Every thing went smoothly but when I was
    prompted to remove the boot media and reboot the old 2006 ver is what
    came up.
    I have no idea where to go from here to get 2008 to start up.
    Help please,Dale

  2. Re: Installed 2008,rebooted,old 2006 started up

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:46:33 GMT, dale's news stuff wrote:
    > I installed 2008 dvd version.Every thing went smoothly but when I was
    > prompted to remove the boot media and reboot the old 2006 ver is what
    > came up.
    > I have no idea where to go from here to get 2008 to start up.

    Guessing, you did not indicate that you wanted 2008 boot loader installed
    into the MBR.

    You may want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    If we knew which boot loader used, you might get better answers.

    What you do is add the 2008 install to your boot loader config
    file and you should be able to boot either install.

  3. Re: Installed 2008,rebooted,old 2006 started up

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:46:33 GMT, dale's news stuff wrote:
    >> I installed 2008 dvd version.Every thing went smoothly but when I was
    >> prompted to remove the boot media and reboot the old 2006 ver is what
    >> came up.
    >> I have no idea where to go from here to get 2008 to start up.

    > Guessing, you did not indicate that you wanted 2008 boot loader installed
    > into the MBR.

    Now that you mention this I recall that when the install got to the install
    boot loader it had a choice there that said some thing like install 2008 but
    it was greyed out and I could not select or deselect that option.
    I then clicked on next and it went merrily along until it finished.
    I believe the reason for that is I screwed up when partitioning and did
    not set a mount point for the new partitions.
    I am using grub as the boot loader.

    > You may want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > If we knew which boot loader used, you might get better answers.
    >
    > What you do is add the 2008 install to your boot loader config
    > file and you should be able to boot either install.

  4. Re: Installed 2008,rebooted,old 2006 started up

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:41:03 GMT, dale's news stuff wrote:

    > I am using grub as the boot loader.

    Ok, then you may get by cutting/pasting your current 2006 stanza in
    /boot/grub/menu.lst and changing the title, (hdx,x ) and /dev values to 2008's
    values.

    Or you could try cutting/pasting the stanza from
    /2008/boot/grub/menu.lst into /boot/grub/menu.lst

    if you mounted 2008's / at /2008

  5. Re: Installed 2008,rebooted,old 2006 started up

    dale's news stuff writes:

    >I installed 2008 dvd version.Every thing went smoothly but when I was
    >prompted to remove the boot media and reboot the old 2006 ver is what
    >came up.
    > I have no idea where to go from here to get 2008 to start up.
    >Help please,Dale

    You see when it boots up, right after the intial bios stuff, a list of
    possible things to boot comes up. choose the 2008 option.

  6. Re: Installed 2008,rebooted,old 2006 started up

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:46:33 +0000, dale's news stuff wrote:

    > I installed 2008 dvd version.Every thing went smoothly but when I was
    > prompted to remove the boot media and reboot the old 2006 ver is what came
    > up.
    > I have no idea where to go from here to get 2008 to start up.
    > Help please,Dale

    OMG! Someone stole your new distro!

    :-)

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg