Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6 - Mandrake ; On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:31:36 -0500, Keith Lee wrote: > All: > I have xpdf and xpdf-common installed for Mandriva Linux 2008 and > Firefox 2.0.0.6; but, there doesn't seem to be an xpdf plugin for firefox. > Does ...

  1. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:31:36 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:
    > All:
    > I have xpdf and xpdf-common installed for Mandriva Linux 2008 and
    > Firefox 2.0.0.6; but, there doesn't seem to be an xpdf plugin for firefox.
    > Does anyone know where it is and how I can download it? Thank you.

    Hmmm,

    $ cat /etc/release

    I did a
    locate pdf | grep doc

    and cut/pasted a pdf document
    /usr/share/doc/wordnet/pdf/wnpkgs.7.pdf
    into firefox and was able to view the pdf document.

    Then did a
    ps aux | grep /wnpkgs.7.pdf
    and found
    /usr/bin/evince /usr/share/doc/wordnet/pdf/wnpkgs.7.pdf

    Snippet from man evince

    DESCRIPTION
    evince

    Evince is a document viewer capable of displaying multiple and
    single page document formats like PDF and Postscript. For
    more general information about Evince please
    visit our website at http://www.gnome.org/projects/evince/

  2. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    Op donderdag 25-10-2007 om 01:09 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Bit
    Twister:

    > DESCRIPTION
    > evince

    Yeah, Evince is a great PDF viewer. But if I'm not mistaken, the OP was
    asking for a mozilla plugin. For some incomprehensable reason, some
    people prefer to view PDFs inside the browser instead of a dedicated
    interface.

    I don't think an evince mozilla plugin exists yet, but the acrobat
    reader stuff from non-free comes with a plugin.

    regards,

    --
    Reinout van Schouwen
    http://vanschouwen.info/

  3. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    On 2007-10-25, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
    > Op donderdag 25-10-2007 om 01:09 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Bit
    > Twister:
    >
    >> DESCRIPTION
    >> evince

    > Yeah, Evince is a great PDF viewer. But if I'm not mistaken, the OP was
    > asking for a mozilla plugin. For some incomprehensable reason, some
    > people prefer to view PDFs inside the browser instead of a dedicated
    > interface.

    I found Bit's response baffling. That's one of problems with "stock"
    the specific one at hand.

    > I don't think an evince mozilla plugin exists yet, but the acrobat
    > reader stuff from non-free comes with a plugin.

    When I click on a pdf in firefox, it opens in xpdf. It's not a
    "plugin"; I suppose they call that a "file association." At any rate,
    this is the behavior I want. So you're saying there exists a plugin
    that when you click on a pdf, the pdf's content appears embedded in the
    browser?

  4. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    On 25 Oct 2007 14:30:10 GMT, Curt wrote:

    > I found Bit's response baffling. That's one of problems with "stock"
    > the specific one at hand.

    General questions get general answers or SWAGS.
    I looked at "release 2008" and installed xpdf and wondered what the
    problem realy was.

    With release 2008, evince replaced xpdf, so I assumed user did not
    have evince installed.

    > When I click on a pdf in firefox, it opens in xpdf. It's not a
    > "plugin"; I suppose they call that a "file association." At any rate,
    > this is the behavior I want.

    Then you modify the "Document Viewer" file association to call the app
    you want executed.

  5. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    Curt writes:

    >On 2007-10-25, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
    >> Op donderdag 25-10-2007 om 01:09 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Bit
    >> Twister:
    >>
    >>> DESCRIPTION
    >>> evince

    >> Yeah, Evince is a great PDF viewer. But if I'm not mistaken, the OP was
    >> asking for a mozilla plugin. For some incomprehensable reason, some
    >> people prefer to view PDFs inside the browser instead of a dedicated
    >> interface.

    >I found Bit's response baffling. That's one of problems with "stock"
    >the specific one at hand.

    >> I don't think an evince mozilla plugin exists yet, but the acrobat
    >> reader stuff from non-free comes with a plugin.

    >When I click on a pdf in firefox, it opens in xpdf. It's not a
    >"plugin"; I suppose they call that a "file association." At any rate,
    >this is the behavior I want. So you're saying there exists a plugin
    >that when you click on a pdf, the pdf's content appears embedded in the
    >browser?

    Yes. The acroread is embedded in the browser page. It does not open a new
    program with its window separate from the browser window. It opens a new
    browser window/tab/...

  6. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:31:36 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:
    >> All:
    >> I have xpdf and xpdf-common installed for Mandriva Linux 2008 and
    >> Firefox 2.0.0.6; but, there doesn't seem to be an xpdf plugin for
    >> firefox. Does anyone know where it is and how I can download it? Thank
    >> you.

    > Hmmm,
    >
    > $ cat /etc/release
    > Mandriva Linux release 2008.0 (Official) for i586
    >
    > I did a
    > locate pdf | grep doc
    >
    > and cut/pasted a pdf document
    > /usr/share/doc/wordnet/pdf/wnpkgs.7.pdf
    > into firefox and was able to view the pdf document.
    >
    > Then did a
    > ps aux | grep /wnpkgs.7.pdf
    > and found
    > /usr/bin/evince /usr/share/doc/wordnet/pdf/wnpkgs.7.pdf
    >
    > Snippet from man evince
    >
    > DESCRIPTION
    > evince
    >
    > Evince is a document viewer capable of displaying multiple and
    > single page document formats like PDF and Postscript. For
    > more general information about Evince please
    > visit our website at http://www.gnome.org/projects/evince/

    I have KDE installed, and I don't mind using Kpdf as my plugin. Actually, I
    seem to have Adobe Acrobat Reader as well. Having Postscript potential as
    well, Evince may be a better choice. But can it be set up as a plugin such
    that one doesn't have to cut and paste? I noticed a zipped archive of
    Postscript documents somewhere the other day, and wondered what Windows
    users would do with it??

    The way to set up your plugins is to go to Firefox's Edit -> Preferences ->
    Content -> Manage File Types.

    Doug.

  7. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    On 2007-10-26, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > The way to set up your plugins is to go to Firefox's Edit -> Preferences ->
    > Content -> Manage File Types.

    You can't set up a plugin that doesn't exist in the first place,
    however.

    The question was: does there exist an xpdf plugin for firefox.
    As far as I know, there does not.

    evince having, according to Bit, "replaced" xpdf in Mandriva (whatever
    that means in the context, for example, of someone preferring the former
    over the latter), the reasonable, reasoning thing to do would be to tell
    the op if there exists a plugin for _evince_ in firefox. As far as I
    know, there does not.

    From what I can glean, the only pdf plugin in existence for firefox is
    the Adobe Reader plugin.

    Even if all the above is wrong, at least it has the merit of being
    clear. ;-)

    Now, a few seconds of googling brought me to this Ubuntu user's
    "workaround" using mozplugger:

    HTH

  8. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:58:06 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I have KDE installed, and I don't mind using Kpdf as my plugin.

    KDE is my default desktop manager. Since I always install both
    KDE/GNOME. gnome evince may have overrode whatever is in Document
    Viewer in file associations for KDE.

    I did notice kpdf as the first Application Preference Order in the
    file associations of KDE Control Center.

    > Actually, I seem to have Adobe Acrobat Reader as well. Having
    > Postscript potential as well, Evince may be a better choice.

    I had assumed the OP was unaware xpdf had been replaced by evince as
    a pdf viewer in 2008 release.

    > But
    > can it be set up as a plugin such that one doesn't have to cut and paste?

    I do not understand your cut/paste question.
    A click on a .pdf poped up evince viewing the pdf file.

    The cut/paste for a pdf was to get a pdf for viewing and
    I was showing lurkers some command line tips/tricks on how to
    find out what program was being used to display a pdf file on release 2008.

    I did play with it a little and it is nice to be able to
    click/drag/copy text with mouse like other X applications. Being
    able to Ctl+w to kill the evince window is also nice. Not being able to
    do those in the Adobe plugin always irritated me.

  9. Re: Xpdf for firefox 2.0.0.6

    On 26 Oct 2007 14:56:36 GMT, Curt wrote:

    > evince having, according to Bit, "replaced" xpdf in Mandriva (whatever
    > that means in the context,

    Knowing that someone might find the thread next year, I wanted MDV
    2008 not to be confused with the year 2008. :-)

    > for example, of someone preferring the former
    > over the latter), the reasonable, reasoning thing to do would be to tell
    > the op if there exists a plugin for _evince_ in firefox. As far as I
    > know, there does not.

    Well, I hear where you are comming from, but in Mandriva, you can
    change the Default Viewer command in the file assocations of KDE so
    that xpdf would be the default app for viewing pdf files.

    I try to keep my install as close to a newbie install so I can not get
    tripped up by my modifications when looking into a reply.

    I had remembered in the past I had to install xpdf to view pdf files.
    I just assumed user was like me and was going though normal new
    release post install addons.

    As an, "Oh by the way", my bank reqires me to have Adobe plugin to read
    the mystreet stock pdf statements. No problems with xpdf reading bank
    account statements. I clicked a stock statement and did not receive
    the Adobe plugin requirement. I will have to go back and see if the
    mystreet web designer changed code or what allows it to work.

+ Reply to Thread