Problems installing and using nvidia driver - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Problems installing and using nvidia driver - Mandrake ; All: I am having problems installing and using the driver (x11-driver-video-nvidia71xx-1.0-7185.5mdv2008.0.i586) for my TNT Riva2 card. While it seemed to install fine, I don't know what to set in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in order for Xorg to detect it. I ...

  1. Problems installing and using nvidia driver

    All:
    I am having problems installing and using the driver (x11-driver-video-nvidia71xx-1.0-7185.5mdv2008.0.i586)
    for my TNT Riva2 card. While it seemed to install fine, I don't know what to set in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in
    order for Xorg to detect it. I tried nvidia but the .so nvidia driver is in a nvidia71xx directory inside the /usr/lib/
    Xorg/modules/drivers directory; and, therefore, undetectable by Xorg. . I then copied the .so nvidia driver into
    the /usr/lib/Xorg/modules/drivers directory, changed the entry in the xorg.conf file to nvidia from nv, then
    restarted X. It came back stating that it didn't know what nvidia meant. Any suggestions? Thank you.

    Keith
    Mandriva Linux 2008
    TNT Riva2 video card

  2. Re: Problems installing and using nvidia driver

    Keith Lee wrote:
    > All:
    > I am having problems installing and using the driver (x11-driver-video-nvidia71xx-1.0-7185.5mdv2008.0.i586)
    > for my TNT Riva2 card. While it seemed to install fine, I don't know what to set in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in
    > order for Xorg to detect it. I tried nvidia but the .so nvidia driver is in a nvidia71xx directory inside the /usr/lib/
    > Xorg/modules/drivers directory; and, therefore, undetectable by Xorg. . I then copied the .so nvidia driver into
    > the /usr/lib/Xorg/modules/drivers directory, changed the entry in the xorg.conf file to nvidia from nv, then
    > restarted X. It came back stating that it didn't know what nvidia meant. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    >
    > Keith
    > Mandriva Linux 2008
    > TNT Riva2 video card

    First, set line length to wrap at 60 or so.

    Second, while I am not familiar with TNT Riva2 cards,
    if it takes an nvidia driver, you might try running
    nvidia-xconfig

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Problems installing and using nvidia driver

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 00:26:34 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    >> TNT Riva2 video card

    > First, set line length to wrap at 60 or so.
    >

    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Jim:
    I would be glad to reset the line length; unfortunately, I don't find any way
    to do that with Pan 1.3.2. Anyone?

    Keith Lee

  4. Re: Problems installing and using nvidia driver

    Keith Lee wrote:
    > Jim:
    > I would be glad to reset the line length; unfortunately, I don't find any way
    > to do that with Pan 1.3.2. Anyone?

    Does Pan 0.132 perhaps use Kate or some other editor
    for composition? If so, line length might be set there.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Problems installing and using nvidia driver

    Keith Lee wrote:

    > I would be glad to reset the line length; unfortunately, I don't find
    > any way to do that with Pan 1.3.2. Anyone?

    You might consider upgrading to the fully-featured version.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  6. Re: Problems installing and using nvidia driver

    Keith Lee wrote:
    > All:
    > I am having problems installing and using the driver (x11-driver-video-nvidia71xx-1.0-7185.5mdv2008.0.i586)
    > for my TNT Riva2 card. While it seemed to install fine, I don't know what to set in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in
    > order for Xorg to detect it. I tried nvidia but the .so nvidia driver is in a nvidia71xx directory inside the /usr/lib/
    > Xorg/modules/drivers directory; and, therefore, undetectable by Xorg. . I then copied the .so nvidia driver into
    > the /usr/lib/Xorg/modules/drivers directory, changed the entry in the xorg.conf file to nvidia from nv, then
    > restarted X. It came back stating that it didn't know what nvidia meant. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    >
    > Keith
    > Mandriva Linux 2008
    > TNT Riva2 video card

    I downloaded the latest driver from the NVidia site -
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run - and it installed perfectly
    (Mandriva 2007.0, GEforce 6100).
    Regards
    Grimble

+ Reply to Thread