connection to machine behind dhcp router - Mandrake

This is a discussion on connection to machine behind dhcp router - Mandrake ; I have a user at a remote location who is connected to an adsl system with dhcp address assignment ( and am assured that this address assignment will change often) I want to be able to log onto that machine. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: connection to machine behind dhcp router

  1. connection to machine behind dhcp router

    I have a user at a remote location who is connected to an adsl system with
    dhcp address assignment ( and am assured that this address assignment will
    change often) I want to be able to log onto that machine.
    Is it best to open an openvpn connection between his machine and mine to
    get in that way? Because of the variable address I cannot ssh into his
    machine.



  2. Re: connection to machine behind dhcp router

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Unruh wrote:

    >I have a user at a remote location who is connected to an adsl system with
    >dhcp address assignment ( and am assured that this address assignment will
    >change often) I want to be able to log onto that machine.


    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOW...namic-IP-Hacks

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 75619 Jun 2 2003 Dynamic-IP-Hacks

    >Is it best to open an openvpn connection between his machine and mine to
    >get in that way? Because of the variable address I cannot ssh into his
    >machine.


    Really depends on circumstances. Having him tunnel in may still run into
    dynamic IP address problems. See that ancient mini-howto for some other
    ideas.

    Old guy


  3. Re: connection to machine behind dhcp router

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:07:52 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > Is it best to open an openvpn connection between his machine and mine to
    > get in that way? Because of the variable address I cannot ssh into his
    > machine.


    Have him set up a hostname registered with https://www.dyndns.com
    or similar, and install ddclient, and configure it, so it updates
    the ip address for the hostname, each time he connects to the net.

    Then you can use ssh, with the hostname.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  4. Re: connection to machine behind dhcp router

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:07:52 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > I have a user at a remote location who is connected to an adsl system with
    > dhcp address assignment ( and am assured that this address assignment will
    > change often) I want to be able to log onto that machine.
    > Is it best to open an openvpn connection between his machine and mine to
    > get in that way? Because of the variable address I cannot ssh into his
    > machine.


    I had the same problem with my granny aged neighbor. She gets a 1 day lease.
    My solution, was a script to email me her ip address every time she
    boots the system.

    No problem to write a little script to get Inbox location with a
    little parsing of $USER/.thunderbird/profiles.ini, grep it for ip
    address, parse out ip addy and update /etc/hosts.

    Her firewall rules and host.allow have my ip address.

  5. Re: connection to machine behind dhcp router

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:07:52 -0400, Unruh wrote:


    >> Is it best to open an openvpn connection between his machine and mine to
    >> get in that way? Because of the variable address I cannot ssh into his
    >> machine.


    >Have him set up a hostname registered with https://www.dyndns.com
    >or similar, and install ddclient, and configure it, so it updates
    >the ip address for the hostname, each time he connects to the net.


    >Then you can use ssh, with the hostname.


    >Regards, Dave Hodgins


    Interesting. Why does noone support the openvpn route? Are there problems
    with it? With the init script launching openvpn it would seem the way to
    go, but the resistance of the three posters makes me worried.


    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)


  6. Re: connection to machine behind dhcp router

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 01:04:46 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > Interesting. Why does noone support the openvpn route? Are there problems
    > with it? With the init script launching openvpn it would seem the way to
    > go, but the resistance of the three posters makes me worried.


    Simplicity, and lack of experience with openvpn, on my part. Can't speak
    for the others. If you do decide to go with the openvpn route, please
    post, what steps you took, problems you ran into, and the solutions .

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  7. Re: connection to machine behind dhcp router


    "Unruh" wrote in message
    news:shkGi.46847$Pd4.28896@edtnps82...
    >I have a user at a remote location who is connected to an adsl system with
    > dhcp address assignment ( and am assured that this address assignment will
    > change often) I want to be able to log onto that machine.
    > Is it best to open an openvpn connection between his machine and mine to
    > get in that way? Because of the variable address I cannot ssh into his
    > machine.
    >

    Maybe I have misunderstood something here, as I see an apparent
    inconsistency.

    You have an adsl setup, which by its very nature has frequent changes to its
    'outside' IP address. No prolem there, a simple script ( as described) can
    send you the IP address every day.

    But you say 'behind a dhcp router'. I take this to mean that the internal IP
    address changes frequently as well. This can be fixed, as there are a number
    of ways to give the actual computer a fixed IP address 192.168.0.xx, then
    create a tunnel through the router.

    Which situation are we looking at? or both?

    Stuart


+ Reply to Thread