Transferring files from Mac OS X to Linux Mandrake - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Transferring files from Mac OS X to Linux Mandrake - Mandrake ; I'm hoping someone in this NG can answer me. I am at present using a G5 iMac running OS X and I'm very pleased with it. However, the computer is beginning to show it's age and I can't afford another ...

  1. Transferring files from Mac OS X to Linux Mandrake

    I'm hoping someone in this NG can answer me. I am at present using a G5
    iMac running OS X and I'm very pleased with it. However, the computer
    is beginning to show it's age and I can't afford another Mac. I
    thought about Mandrake as I ran a version of it some years ago when I
    had a Windows machine.
    My question relates to copying and transferring files from the Mac to a
    PC running Mandrake, in particular the stored E-mails from within the
    Mac Mailer.
    My document files that were created using OpenOffice 2.0 I guess, won't
    be a problem. It is the E-mails that concern me, they go back to 1998,
    and I don't want to lose them.

    My other question relates to a game Diablo2 with it's expansion Lord of
    Darkness. I believe it's possible to port this to a linux machine. Can
    anyone confirm this? Thanks,

  2. Re: Transferring files from Mac OS X to Linux Mandrake

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    <1i4do4f.1pfr74q1ncjso9N%pfjames2000@googlemail.com>, Peter James wrote:

    >I'm hoping someone in this NG can answer me.

    You might have a LOT better luck posting to alt.os.linux.mandriva as
    'Mandrake Linux' was renamed 'Mandriva Linux' in early April 2005. But
    this isn't a distribution specific question, so any of the more widely
    seen newsgroups like 'comp.os.linux.misc' or 'alt.os.linux' may be more
    useful. An even more useful group might be 'comp.mail.misc'.

    >My question relates to copying and transferring files from the Mac to a
    >PC running Mandrake, in particular the stored E-mails from within the
    >Mac Mailer.

    How are they stored? Are they "plain text" or is it some exotic secret
    data format?

    >It is the E-mails that concern me, they go back to 1998, and I don't
    >want to lose them.

    You'll have to read the manual for the 'Mac Mailer' application to see
    where it's hiding those files. Then look at them using a common paging
    tool like 'more' or 'less'. Can you read them? If not, you may need
    to kick that application into saving stuff in ordinary text, which any
    text application can read.

    >My other question relates to a game Diablo2 with it's expansion Lord of
    >Darkness. I believe it's possible to port this to a linux machine. Can
    >anyone confirm this?

    I use a computer more than nine hours a day. The LAST thing I'd even think
    about doing is using it for games. Try using your favorite search engine.
    The news server I'm using has over 1800 newsgroups relating to games.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Transferring files from Mac OS X to Linux Mandrake

    ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) writes:

    >On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    ><1i4do4f.1pfr74q1ncjso9N%pfjames2000@googlemail.com>, Peter James wrote:

    >>I'm hoping someone in this NG can answer me.

    >>My question relates to copying and transferring files from the Mac to a
    >>PC running Mandrake, in particular the stored E-mails from within the
    >>Mac Mailer.

    Transfering of files is easy. Just use something like rsync, or scp, or
    even ftp. HOwever if what you are interested in is "Can some program in
    Linux read these files" then Trin's comments are spot on. None of us in
    Linux probably know how the Mac ( and you never told us which mail reader
    program in mac you use) reads its stored mail files. Ask in a Mac
    discussion group.

    >How are they stored? Are they "plain text" or is it some exotic secret
    >data format?

    >>It is the E-mails that concern me, they go back to 1998, and I don't
    >>want to lose them.

    >You'll have to read the manual for the 'Mac Mailer' application to see
    >where it's hiding those files. Then look at them using a common paging
    >tool like 'more' or 'less'. Can you read them? If not, you may need
    >to kick that application into saving stuff in ordinary text, which any
    >text application can read.

    >>My other question relates to a game Diablo2 with it's expansion Lord of
    >>Darkness. I believe it's possible to port this to a linux machine. Can
    >>anyone confirm this?

    Why do you believe that? both systems use very different display managers,
    and since display is probably the essense of the game, it would mean that
    someone had to have ported the Mac game to Linux. I have no idea if they
    have. Write the company that published it.

  4. Re: Transferring files from Mac OS X to Linux Mandrake

    Peter James wrote:

    > My question relates to copying and transferring files from the Mac to a
    > PC running Mandrake, in particular the stored E-mails from within the
    > Mac Mailer.
    > My document files that were created using OpenOffice 2.0 I guess, won't
    > be a problem. It is the E-mails that concern me, they go back to 1998,
    > and I don't want to lose them.

    Most mail programs allow you to export mail files, and import them. This
    usually works.

    As always, when doing something of uncertain effect, it is a _real_good_
    idea to back up anything you relaly want to keep.

    For more information, post to an iMac newsgroup or go to the Apple help files
    or website for how to export the files. Consult the help files for the
    mail reader you will be using under Linux.

    > My other question relates to a game Diablo2 with it's expansion Lord of
    > Darkness. I believe it's possible to port this to a linux machine. Can
    > anyone confirm this? Thanks,

    Depends on the language it is written in, and any program-specific
    reqirements. If you do not know enough about porting software to ask
    an intelligent question on this subject, you probably do not know enough
    to do the port.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Transferring files from Mac OS X to Linux Mandrake

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:12:31 +0100, pfjames2000@googlemail.com (Peter
    James) wrote:

    >My question relates to copying and transferring files from the Mac to a
    >PC running Mandrake, in particular the stored E-mails from within the
    >Mac Mailer.

    The best solution, if your ISP and if your mac mailer both support
    IMAP format, is to store all your emails in your remote ISP's IMAP
    server from Mac, and get it back from there toward your linux mailer
    program.

    If your ISP doesn't offer you that possibility, there is some free
    solution, for exemple http://fastmail.fm/ (but storage in free account
    is limitated to 10 Mb of total storage and 40 Mb/month)

    If this isn't an option, try to see if you can export in "Unix Mailbox
    Format" (*.mbx), which is a widely accepted format (but not always, so
    checkif it's possible with both your mac mailer and the linux mailer
    you'll choose.

    >My other question relates to a game Diablo2 with it's expansion Lord of
    >Darkness. I believe it's possible to port this to a linux machine.

    I don't know that game and therefore about a linux native version, but
    it seems that the win version is running ok with Wine :
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=49

    --
    Regards
    Sebas