Reinstalling Win XP on a dual-boot system - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Reinstalling Win XP on a dual-boot system - Mandrake ; I have both WinXP and Mandrake Linux 10.0 on my computer, but I need to reinstall Windows. Will this disturb my dual-boot? And how can I make Windows the default? (I rarely use Linux.)...

  1. Reinstalling Win XP on a dual-boot system

    I have both WinXP and Mandrake Linux 10.0 on my computer, but
    I need to reinstall Windows. Will this disturb my dual-boot? And how
    can I make Windows the default? (I rarely use Linux.)

  2. Re: Reinstalling Win XP on a dual-boot system

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:30:33 -0500, Roy Fenimore wrote:
    > I have both WinXP and Mandrake Linux 10.0 on my computer, but
    > I need to reinstall Windows. Will this disturb my dual-boot?

    Yes. It will wipe out linux boot loader.

    > And how
    > can I make Windows the default? (I rarely use Linux.)

    Your boot loader's config file picks the default.
    /etc/lilo.conf uses a label. /boot/grub/menu.lst picks the first one
    in the list.

    You have to figure out which boot loader you are using so as to know
    which one to change.

  3. Re: Reinstalling Win XP on a dual-boot system

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:30:33 -0500, Roy Fenimore wrote:

    > I have both WinXP and Mandrake Linux 10.0 on my computer, but
    > I need to reinstall Windows. Will this disturb my dual-boot? And how
    > can I make Windows the default? (I rarely use Linux.)

    (Re)installing MS will wipe out the MBR and make ms the only accessible
    system. It is fairly trivial to rewrite the MBR. Assuming grub is you
    bootloader:

    1) boot a Live CD.
    2) run 'grub' from a terminal window.
    3) grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 (if you're not quite sure what
    partition you Linux distro is installed to - this will list them all)
    4) grub> root (hd0,4) (if your distro is installed to hda5 - grub is
    'zero based')
    5) grub> setup (hd0) (to write the MBR bootloader info to hda)
    6) grub> quit
    7) reboot.

    It is also quite simple to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to indicate
    which entry you wish to be the default - about the third line of the file
    includes a 'default' number - again, this is zero based, so if ms is the
    third entry, then put 2.

  4. Re: Reinstalling Win XP on a dual-boot system

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:56:33 -0600, ray wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:30:33 -0500, Roy Fenimore wrote:
    >
    >> I have both WinXP and Mandrake Linux 10.0 on my computer, but
    >> I need to reinstall Windows. Will this disturb my dual-boot? And how
    >> can I make Windows the default? (I rarely use Linux.)

    >(Re)installing MS will wipe out the MBR and make ms the only accessible
    >system. It is fairly trivial to rewrite the MBR. Assuming grub is you
    >bootloader:
    >
    >1) boot a Live CD.
    >2) run 'grub' from a terminal window.
    >3) grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 (if you're not quite sure what
    >partition you Linux distro is installed to - this will list them all)
    >4) grub> root (hd0,4) (if your distro is installed to hda5 - grub is
    >'zero based')
    >5) grub> setup (hd0) (to write the MBR bootloader info to hda)
    >6) grub> quit
    >7) reboot.
    >
    >It is also quite simple to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to indicate
    >which entry you wish to be the default - about the third line of the file
    >includes a 'default' number - again, this is zero based, so if ms is the
    >third entry, then put 2.

    Thanks, Guys! I hope this works....

+ Reply to Thread