Help printer problem - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Help printer problem - Mandrake ; Hi My USB Laser printer KONICA MINOLTA Magicolor 2300w won't print using linux Mandriva 2006 It is well detected but it won't print nothing appens when I try to print. Non hardware problems it works fine using winxp. Any idea ...

  1. Help printer problem

    Hi

    My USB Laser printer KONICA MINOLTA Magicolor 2300w won't print using
    linux Mandriva 2006

    It is well detected but it won't print nothing appens when I try to print.

    Non hardware problems it works fine using winxp.

    Any idea ?

    Thanks
    DCampa

  2. Re: Help printer problem

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:40:17 +0200, DCampa wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My USB Laser printer KONICA MINOLTA Magicolor 2300w won't print using
    > linux Mandriva 2006
    >
    > It is well detected but it won't print nothing appens when I try to print.
    >
    > Non hardware problems it works fine using winxp.
    >
    > Any idea ?

    Is the driver for it loaded?

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...agicolor_2300W

  3. Re: Help printer problem

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:40:17 +0200, DCampa wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> My USB Laser printer KONICA MINOLTA Magicolor 2300w won't print using
    >> linux Mandriva 2006
    >>
    >> It is well detected but it won't print nothing appens when I try to print.
    >>
    >> Non hardware problems it works fine using winxp.
    >>
    >> Any idea ?
    >>

    > Is the driver for it loaded?
    >
    > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...agicolor_2300W

    I already tried this but I get a lot of conflict and it won't work
    Thanks

  4. Re: Help printer problem

    DCampa wrote:
    > I already tried this but I get a lot of conflict and it won't work

    Did you install CUPS and then try to add the printer, letting
    CUPS take care of installing/configuring the software?

    Perhaps this is a long shot, but it might work. If available
    drivers won't work, though, you are pretty much out of luck.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Help printer problem

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > > Wes Newell wrote:
    >>> Is the driver for it loaded?
    >>> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...agicolor_2300W

    > DCampa wrote:
    >> I already tried this but I get a lot of conflict and it won't work

    > Did you install CUPS and then try to add the printer, letting
    > CUPS take care of installing/configuring the software?
    >
    > Perhaps this is a long shot, but it might work. If available
    > drivers won't work, though, you are pretty much out of luck.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Hi
    I tried this too, now I can print but it not perfect and I
    have to wait more than 5 minutes before it begins to print

    Thanks

  6. Re: Help printer problem

    DCampa wrote:

    >> DCampa wrote:
    >>> I already tried this but I get a lot of conflict and it won't work

    >> Did you install CUPS and then try to add the printer, letting
    >> CUPS take care of installing/configuring the software?
    >>
    >> Perhaps this is a long shot, but it might work. If available
    >> drivers won't work, though, you are pretty much out of luck.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > Hi
    > I tried this too, now I can print but it not perfect and I
    > have to wait more than 5 minutes before it begins to print
    >
    > Thanks

    Hey, thanks to this thread, I finally got motivated to look for a hack
    to get my Canon Pixma IP1600 working with my Mandrake (primary) box.
    There's never been a driver for it. Tonight I found out that a driver
    for an IP2200 will work (at least up to 600 dpi, which is good enough
    for me for this system), did some untarrin' and some installin' and
    shoot if it isn't printing away. I also have an HP LaserJet 5M on
    this box, but it always bugged me that I could only use the Canon on my
    XP laptop and the Win side of my dual-boot W2K/SuSE box. So thanks, you
    guys!

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  7. Re: Help printer problem

    On 2007-09-03, DCampa wrote:

    > Hi
    > I tried this too, now I can print but it not perfect and I
    > have to wait more than 5 minutes before it begins to print

    Check your CUPS logs (in /var/log/cups) on my machine) for cryptic error
    messages and maybe your networking for borkedness (which can cause
    printing delays, amongst other things).

  8. Re: Help printer problem

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Hey, thanks to this thread, I finally got motivated to look for a hack
    > to get my Canon Pixma IP1600 working with my Mandrake (primary) box.
    > There's never been a driver for it. Tonight I found out that a driver
    > for an IP2200 will work (at least up to 600 dpi, which is good enough
    > for me for this system), did some untarrin' and some installin' and
    > shoot if it isn't printing away. I also have an HP LaserJet 5M on
    > this box, but it always bugged me that I could only use the Canon on my
    > XP laptop and the Win side of my dual-boot W2K/SuSE box. So thanks, you
    > guys!

    I've got a Canon S600 that has never quite worked right with Mandriva,
    especially with color photos, although black and white text is fine.
    Where did you find your Canon driver?
    Art

  9. Re: Help printer problem

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:19:07 -0400, art wrote:

    > I've got a Canon S600 that has never quite worked right with Mandriva,
    > especially with color photos, although black and white text is fine.
    > Where did you find your Canon driver?

    I have a Canon Pixma MP150, which is working well using the .ppd file
    from gutenprint 5.1.3

    http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_..._Printers.php3 lists the
    Canon S600 as a supported printer, and /usr/share/gutenprint/5.1 has
    the file stp-bjc-s600.5.1.ppd.gz.

    Try installing version 5.1.3, if you haven't already, from
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...?group_id=1537
    and then selecting the above ppd file, in cups printer
    configuration.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: Help printer problem

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 03:40:03 -0400, DCampa wrote in alt.os.linux.mandrake:

    > I tried this too, now I can print but it not perfect and I
    > have to wait more than 5 minutes before it begins to print

    Is the printer connected using the parallel port? If so, in /etc/modprobe.conf,
    add the lineoptions parport_pc irq=7 dma=3 io=0x378(assuming it's the first parallel port), to enable interrupt processing, instead of polling

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: Help printer problem

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:28:08 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    Sorry about the linewrap. New (alpha) version of opera, and I haven't
    got all the config options set properly yet.

    That should read ...

    Is the printer connected using the parallel port?

    If so, in /etc/modprobe.conf, add the line
    options parport_pc irq=7 dma=3 io=0x378
    (assuming it's the first parallel port),
    to enable interrupt processing, instead of polling

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: Help printer problem

    art wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Hey, thanks to this thread, I finally got motivated to look for a hack
    >> to get my Canon Pixma IP1600 working with my Mandrake (primary) box.
    >> There's never been a driver for it. Tonight I found out that a driver
    >> for an IP2200 will work (at least up to 600 dpi, which is good enough
    >> for me for this system), did some untarrin' and some installin' and
    >> shoot if it isn't printing away. I also have an HP LaserJet 5M on
    >> this box, but it always bugged me that I could only use the Canon on my
    >> XP laptop and the Win side of my dual-boot W2K/SuSE box. So thanks, you
    >> guys!
    >>

    > I've got a Canon S600 that has never quite worked right with Mandriva,
    > especially with color photos, although black and white text is fine.
    > Where did you find your Canon driver?

    http://software.canon-europe.com/index.asp

    But while the S600 is listed, I see no software for it.

    But remember, I found a driver from *another* model to work. I got that
    idea (and the model of the driver that works) from here:

    http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

    where a search just turned up

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...num=Canon-S600

    with more bad news.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  13. Re: Help printer problem

    On 2007-09-04, art wrote:
    > I've got a Canon S600 that has never quite worked right with Mandriva,
    > especially with color photos, although black and white text is fine.

    Same here. Even using the turboprint drivers there would be banding.
    I was soo happy when it died.
    Got at HP 8450 now. OK but too big and ink dries up every now and then
    prompting major cleaning session.
    Def. going colour laser next time...

    Lordy

+ Reply to Thread