aMSN ./compile errors - Mandrake

This is a discussion on aMSN ./compile errors - Mandrake ; This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone. Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source. The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't ...

  1. aMSN ./compile errors

    This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.

    Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.

    The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
    directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
    was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
    already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
    a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
    cooker versions by the way,

  2. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker writes:

    > This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >
    > Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    > Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >
    > The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
    > directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
    > was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
    > already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
    > a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
    > cooker versions by the way,

    Let me be the first to say: "post the error message".

    Normally make will complain about a missing file.
    Use urpmf to find the package name containing the file
    then use urpmi to install the package.

    In this case you're probably missing a tcl-devel package.

  3. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >
    > Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    > Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.

    What version of Mandriva Linux are you using? I use 2007.0, 32-bit and the
    autopackage version of aMSN installed perfectly. This package mechanism
    does the compile, etc. and then installs the actual application on the
    system correctly. http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php

    HTH

    Rob.

  4. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    In article , Alan Secker wrote:
    >This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >
    > Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    >Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >
    >The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
    >directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
    >was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
    >already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
    >a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
    >cooker versions by the way,

    You will probably need the tcl-dev or tcl-devel or similar package which
    should contain the headers and the libraries to link against.

    Once you've installed the relevant one for your distro, aMSN's configure
    script might need to be told where Mandriva puts the TCL headers, or it
    might autodetect it. I don't use Mandriva but I'd certainly start with
    making sure the TCL -dev package was installed.

    Apols as usual if teaching grannies ...

    Nick
    --
    Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 24th August 2007)

    "The Internet, an ersatz counterfeit of real life"

  5. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker wrote:

    >This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >
    > Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    >Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.

    Have you got an aversion to Mandriva's own package manager, Alan?

    It's always better to use the packages from Mandriva's own repository,
    where possible, because those will have been debugged against Mandriva.
    In any case, using package management is the linux-distribution "way",
    not going on a web safari to find your software on some obscure website
    which is the Windows-freeware way.

    [dsf: ~]$ urpmq -f amsn
    amsn-0.96-2mdv2007.1.i586

    Or, if you must have the latest version:

    [dsf: ~]$ urpmq -f amsn --media backports
    amsn-0.97-0.RC1.1mdv2007.1.i586

    --
    Dave Farrance

+ Reply to Thread