mandrake 8.1 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on mandrake 8.1 - Mandrake ; Been searchin the web for a download to backup my program without any luck. Any suggestions where a site can be found for download? Thanks...

  1. mandrake 8.1

    Been searchin the web for a download to backup my program without any luck.
    Any suggestions where a site can be found for download? Thanks

  2. Re: mandrake 8.1

    "Martin Friedman" writes:

    > Been searchin the web for a download to backup my program without any luck.
    > Any suggestions where a site can be found for download? Thanks

    I've read your question multiple times and can't make any sense of it.

    Mandrake 8.1 is too old.

  3. Re: mandrake 8.1

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:02:57 +0000, Martin Friedman wrote:

    > Been searchin the web for a download to backup my program without any luck.
    > Any suggestions where a site can be found for download? Thanks

    Just stick with windoze, dimwit.

  4. Re: mandrake 8.1

    Here in alt.os.linux.mandrake,
    Dan Espen spake unto us, saying:

    >Mandrake 8.1 is too old.

    It's certainly old, but it runs in places (and supports some types of
    hardware) which most newer distros (even newer Mandrake and Mandriva
    flavors) can't handle properly.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  5. Re: mandrake 8.1

    Here in alt.os.linux.mandrake,
    "Martin Friedman" spake unto us, saying:

    >Been searchin the web for a download to backup my program without any
    >luck. Any suggestions where a site can be found for download? Thanks

    I'm not quite sure what you're asking for above. You're looking for a
    backup program of some type? And you're using Mandrake 8.1?

    I have a couple of Mandrake 8.2 boxes here (that version is one of the
    most perfect distros ever released, at least in my book!), but I just
    use cp commands to make backups. Or Midnight Commander. :-)

    More info would be helpful...

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  6. Re: mandrake 8.1

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in alt.os.linux.mandrake,
    > Dan Espen spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >> Mandrake 8.1 is too old.

    > It's certainly old, but it runs in places (and supports some types of
    > hardware) which most newer distros (even newer Mandrake and Mandriva
    > flavors) can't handle properly.

    If Mandrake 8.1 is what he really wants and needs
    (hard to tell from the original post), he needs to
    go to

    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org

    select 8.1, and find some mirrors that have it. Not all mirrors
    keep the old stuff around (for the USA, only U. of Penn. has the
    official 8.1 main), but it is out there if you are willing to go
    through mirrors until you find one that has what you need.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: mandrake 8.1

    rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) writes:

    > Here in alt.os.linux.mandrake,
    > Dan Espen spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >>Mandrake 8.1 is too old.

    > It's certainly old, but it runs in places (and supports some types of
    > hardware) which most newer distros (even newer Mandrake and Mandriva
    > flavors) can't handle properly.

    I ran 8.1 for a long time.
    It did work well.
    When Gtk2 apps started to become common, I built Gtk2 from source
    and the apps from source. That got old pretty fast.
    Running an old release exposes you to unfixed security problems
    and cuts you off from new software.

  8. Re: mandrake 8.1

    Well, you're all correct in some way. First, I enjoy sarcasm. Second, I
    have Mandriva 2007 installed on my desktop. Third, I did find a site for
    Mandrake 8.2. And fourth, I have Windows and Linux installed on both of my
    computers. So thanks for all the tips, hints, wits, and quips!

    marty

    "Martin Friedman" wrote in message
    > Been searchin the web for a download to backup my program without any

    luck.
    > Any suggestions where a site can be found for download? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread