Old Mandrake respositories - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Old Mandrake respositories - Mandrake ; I installed an older Mandrake (9 or 10 I think) on one of my machines and was impressed. But it doesn't seem to be configured to any repositories. Can anyone help me? -- entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem...

  1. Old Mandrake respositories

    --
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  2. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:04:41 GMT, Umma Gumma wrote:
    > I installed an older Mandrake (9 or 10 I think) on one of my machines and
    > was impressed.

    More impressive, release 2007.

    > But it doesn't seem to be configured to any repositories. Can
    > anyone help me?

    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

  3. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:04:41 -0400, Umma Gumma wrote:

    > I installed an older Mandrake (9 or 10 I think) on one of my machines and
    > was impressed. But it doesn't seem to be configured to any repositories. Can
    > anyone help me?

    See if any of the mirrors selected by http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ are still
    active.

    Note that the older versions are not getting security updates, so be
    very carefull. I strongly recommend getting a newer version, preferably
    2007.1

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    "David W. Hodgins" wrote in message
    newsp.twnp31zoa3w0dx@hodgins.homeip.net...
    > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:04:41 -0400, Umma Gumma
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I installed an older Mandrake (9 or 10 I think) on one of my machines and
    >> was impressed. But it doesn't seem to be configured to any repositories.
    >> Can
    >> anyone help me?

    > See if any of the mirrors selected by http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ are still
    > active.
    >
    > Note that the older versions are not getting security updates, so be
    > very carefull. I strongly recommend getting a newer version, preferably
    > 2007.1
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    But...but...Mandrake is no longer offered, isn't that the case? I don't
    know. I'm asking. It has gone to Mandriva and become far more commerical.
    Yes? No? In addition, the older version of Mandrake runs wonderfully on my
    lowly 386 (other machine) whereas the newer distros grind to a halt on
    installation.

  5. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:56:34 GMT, Umma Gumma wrote:

    > But...but...Mandrake is no longer offered, isn't that the case? I don't
    > know. I'm asking.

    Mandrake was sued about their name. The changed it to Mandriva.

    > It has gone to Mandriva and become far more commerical.
    > Yes? No?

    But you can still download the free version like before.

    > In addition, the older version of Mandrake runs wonderfully on my
    > lowly 386 (other machine) whereas the newer distros grind to a halt on
    > installation.

    Well, there you are, get another computer, or change to a distribution
    which still supports 386.

  6. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    on Tuesday 07 August 2007 22:56
    in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake
    Umma Gumma wrote:

    [snip]
    > Yes? No? In addition, the older version of Mandrake runs wonderfully on my
    > lowly 386 (other machine) whereas the newer distros grind to a halt on
    > installation.

    Not unless I have the history wrong.

    Linux can run on a 386 or better, but all Mandrake and Mandriva were
    compiled to run on Pentiums or better. So unless you want to recompile
    everything from scratch (stupid idea) find a "light" distribution.

    Look at distrowatch.org for clues.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  7. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    "Umma Gumma" writes:

    >"David W. Hodgins" wrote in message
    >newsp.twnp31zoa3w0dx@hodgins.homeip.net...
    >> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:04:41 -0400, Umma Gumma
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed an older Mandrake (9 or 10 I think) on one of my machines and
    >>> was impressed. But it doesn't seem to be configured to any repositories.
    >>> Can
    >>> anyone help me?

    >> See if any of the mirrors selected by http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ are still
    >> active.
    >>
    >> Note that the older versions are not getting security updates, so be
    >> very carefull. I strongly recommend getting a newer version, preferably
    >> 2007.1
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>
    >> --
    >> Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >> (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >> use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    >But...but...Mandrake is no longer offered, isn't that the case? I don't
    >know. I'm asking. It has gone to Mandriva and become far more commerical.

    Mandrake changed its name to Mandriva because of trademark issues with
    Mandrake the Magician. It is the same company, just a different name.

    And it is much less commercial than Redhat is.

    >Yes? No? In addition, the older version of Mandrake runs wonderfully on my
    >lowly 386 (other machine) whereas the newer distros grind to a halt on

    Mandrake or Mandriva were never compliled for a 386. They were always 586
    compiled.
    >installation.

  8. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:56:34 -0400, Umma Gumma wrote:

    > But...but...Mandrake is no longer offered, isn't that the case? I don't
    > know. I'm asking. It has gone to Mandriva and become far more commerical.
    > Yes? No? In addition, the older version of Mandrake runs wonderfully on my
    > lowly 386 (other machine) whereas the newer distros grind to a halt on
    > installation.

    Checking various sites listed at Easy Urpmi, I found
    ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.cz/Mandriva-o...Mandrake/RPMS/
    is still valid.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    "Bit Twister" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:56:34 GMT, Umma Gumma wrote:
    >>
    >> But...but...Mandrake is no longer offered, isn't that the case? I don't
    >> know. I'm asking.

    > Mandrake was sued about their name. The changed it to Mandriva.
    >
    >> It has gone to Mandriva and become far more commerical.
    >> Yes? No?

    > But you can still download the free version like before.
    >
    >> In addition, the older version of Mandrake runs wonderfully on my
    >> lowly 386 (other machine) whereas the newer distros grind to a halt on
    >> installation.

    > Well, there you are, get another computer, or change to a distribution
    > which still supports 386.

    What distros support the 386?

  10. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:18:57 -0400, Umma Gumma wrote:

    > What distros support the 386?

    http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ca...&status=Active
    Lists 193 distributions, for the 386.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:04:41 GMT, Umma Gumma wrote:
    >> I installed an older Mandrake (9 or 10 I think) on one of my machines and
    >> was impressed.

    > More impressive, release 2007.
    >
    >> But it doesn't seem to be configured to any repositories. Can
    >> anyone help me?

    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    And more accurate: http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/

    Ciao @+

  12. Re: Old Mandrake respositories

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 06:26:39 +0200, F8BOE wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    > And more accurate: http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/

    I do not know, counting 2007.1 main for USA,
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org has 8
    http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ has 6

    looking at first selection from easy, not in smart, we find
    ftp.cise.ufl.edu with
    File: hdlist.cz 8061 KB 08/09/2007 07:45:00 PM

    No, http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ is not more accurate.

+ Reply to Thread