Canon MF5750 printer driver - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Canon MF5750 printer driver - Mandrake ; Folks, Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I contacted Canon but of course they don't have one. Bob...

  1. Canon MF5750 printer driver

    Folks,

    Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
    contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.

    Bob

  2. Re: Canon MF5750 printer driver

    Bob Macpherson wrote:

    > Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
    > contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.

    Canon are the most miserable bunch of clueless fools, and I refuse to ever
    buy any of their products after the grief I had with two of them. They
    refuse to acknowledge that Linux exists.

    You /might/ be able to get a driver at www.turboprint.de - if they don't
    have one, you can request that they build one for you! They charge ?29.95
    for the software, though there's a free trial version.

    I swapped my expensive Canon printer / scanner with a neighbour for a
    slightly cheaper HP one. The HP outperforms the Canon in every way, and HP
    provide proper Linux drivers for it!

    Chris

  3. Re: Canon MF5750 printer driver

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Bob Macpherson wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
    >> contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.

    > Canon are the most miserable bunch of clueless fools, and I refuse to ever
    > buy any of their products after the grief I had with two of them. They
    > refuse to acknowledge that Linux exists.
    >
    > You /might/ be able to get a driver at www.turboprint.de - if they don't
    > have one, you can request that they build one for you! They charge ?29.95
    > for the software, though there's a free trial version.
    >
    > I swapped my expensive Canon printer / scanner with a neighbour for a
    > slightly cheaper HP one. The HP outperforms the Canon in every way, and HP
    > provide proper Linux drivers for it!
    >
    > Chris

    Chris,

    Many thanks for the info. I'll certainly give it a try

    Bob

  4. Re: Canon MF5750 printer driver

    "Bob Macpherson" wrote in message
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Bob Macpherson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
    >>> contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.

    >> Canon are the most miserable bunch of clueless fools, and I refuse to
    >> ever
    >> buy any of their products after the grief I had with two of them. They
    >> refuse to acknowledge that Linux exists.
    >>
    >> You /might/ be able to get a driver at www.turboprint.de - if they don't
    >> have one, you can request that they build one for you! They charge
    >> ?29.95
    >> for the software, though there's a free trial version.
    >>
    >> I swapped my expensive Canon printer / scanner with a neighbour for a
    >> slightly cheaper HP one. The HP outperforms the Canon in every way, and
    >> HP
    >> provide proper Linux drivers for it!
    >>
    >> Chris

    > Chris,
    >
    > Many thanks for the info. I'll certainly give it a try

    If there is a Canon OSX driver for Macintosh then you may be in luck for
    getting one for your Linux machine sorted relatively quickly.

    Having worked for Canon in the UK for 17 years before going self employed I
    have to say that they aren't a bunch of miserable clueless fools, however,
    as a corporation they do not support Unix and Linux very well. When they
    were new out the sales department went to sell an IR6000 complete with
    folder finisher and all the kit fitted in to a purely Linux environment,
    Head office in the UK said NO, sorry we don't support it. As their first
    systems support engineer I was asked by sales to try and see if it could be
    done.
    I took my Mandrake 7.x machine in to the national training school and set it
    up with full functionality in under 20 minutes. I ran a demo for the sales
    dept of my branch and to the trainers. That was several years ago, I left
    nearly 4 years ago and I still get calls from technicians asking for help on
    customers running Linux. As a corporation they do not see the critical mass
    required to believe it worth the investment of finances. When they do they
    will produce the software needed. It is their loss as they are already
    behind the competition.

    We only use Epson or HP peripherals ourselves and even if the software was
    available I wouldn't change because the output quality of prints or scans
    are no better and the Canon units are more expensive, they aren't even
    better built or more reliable. In the UK the Canon printers cost more for
    the inks than the Epsons although friends in Canada and the USA say it is
    different over there. As well as software drivers I would recommend
    producing some running cost comparison tables for locally available
    consumables.

    An Epson CX3650 I picked up from Ebay worked straight out the box on
    Mandriva for printing and scanning (Scanning across a network from a Windows
    PC using Xsane for Windows even works) it replaced a Canon multipass that
    only worked on Windows 9.x and nothing else.

    Andrew Ed

  5. Re: Canon MF5750 printer driver

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 04:40:03 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Bob Macpherson wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
    >> contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.

    > Canon are the most miserable bunch of clueless fools, and I refuse to ever
    > buy any of their products after the grief I had with two of them. They
    > refuse to acknowledge that Linux exists.
    >
    > You /might/ be able to get a driver at www.turboprint.de - if they don't
    > have one, you can request that they build one for you! They charge ?29.95
    > for the software, though there's a free trial version.
    >
    > I swapped my expensive Canon printer / scanner with a neighbour for a
    > slightly cheaper HP one. The HP outperforms the Canon in every way, and HP
    > provide proper Linux drivers for it!
    >
    > Chris

    I have found good deals on printers at the Epson online store. And drivers
    at avasys.jp

  6. Re: Canon MF5750 printer driver

    Andrew Ed wrote:

    > Having worked for Canon in the UK for 17 years before going self employed
    > I have to say that they aren't a bunch of miserable clueless fools,

    That's /entirely/ /contrary/ to my experience. I was treated with rudeness
    and arrogance by everyone I ever talked to at Canon. They used to make two
    products that I really liked, but after-sales support and service was
    non-existent.

    > however, as a corporation they do not support Unix and Linux very well.

    I was told "what's that?" and "No! You /have/ to use Windows!".

    > When they were new out the sales department went to sell an IR6000
    > complete with folder finisher and all the kit fitted in to a purely Linux
    > environment,
    > Head office in the UK said NO, sorry we don't support it.

    That's what all Linux / Unix enquiries are met with.

    > As a corporation they do not see the critical mass
    > required to believe it worth the investment of finances.

    The Dell /corporation/ were met with the same sort of arrogant indifference
    when they enquired about buying and reselling Canon products. It's very
    probably cost Canon tens of millions.

    > When they do they will produce the software needed. It is their loss as
    > they are already behind the competition.

    They probably won't ever bother, and the "critical mass" will prove to be a
    huge rolling boulder that will crush them!

    > We only use Epson or HP peripherals ourselves and even if the software was
    > available I wouldn't change because the output quality of prints or scans
    > are no better and the Canon units are more expensive, they aren't even
    > better built or more reliable.

    There you go! "We only use Epson or HP" - what a telling phrase. Many
    others also /don't/ use Canon products for all the same reasons /I/ don't!
    The reliability of Canon products is generally inferior to those made by HP
    and about the same as Epson.

    > In the UK the Canon printers cost more for
    > the inks than the Epsons although friends in Canada and the USA say it is
    > different over there. As well as software drivers I would recommend
    > producing some running cost comparison tables for locally available
    > consumables.

    Consumables are an appalling price for /any/ brand of printer, and the
    manufacturers can't understand why sales of their print cartridges are
    falling. If they cut their prices to realistic values (slightly less than
    10% of their current prices), they'd kill the competition stone dead
    overnight!

    > An Epson CX3650 I picked up from Ebay worked straight out the box on
    > Mandriva for printing and scanning (Scanning across a network from a
    > Windows PC using Xsane for Windows even works) it replaced a Canon
    > multipass that only worked on Windows 9.x and nothing else.

    I briefly had a Canon Multipass MP390. It simply wouldn't work properly,
    even with Turboprint drivers, and I got rid of it as soon as possible. The
    HP all-in-one that replaced it worked immediately when I downloaded and
    installed the driver from their website.

    C.

  7. Re: Canon MF5750 printer driver

    "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message
    news:6lgpi.8709$%v3.6561@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...
    > Andrew Ed wrote:
    >
    >> Having worked for Canon in the UK for 17 years before going self employed
    >> I have to say that they aren't a bunch of miserable clueless fools,

    > That's /entirely/ /contrary/ to my experience. I was treated with
    > rudeness
    > and arrogance by everyone I ever talked to at Canon. They used to make
    > two
    > products that I really liked, but after-sales support and service was
    > non-existent.

    Chris

    For my luck I had easy access to the technical support group as it was at
    the time. The 'Support desk'
    for customers was something completely different. Some members of TSG were
    extemely helpful, others were not. On the whole the help desk knew far less
    about issues with products than I did at the time. As
    the support desk is still undermanned I don't expect them to be dabbling
    with Linux any time soon when they still don't support it and they are over
    busy supporting Windows and Mac users. In other words until their corporate
    outlook changes they will continue to 'stuff' themselves and their
    customers. Ultimately they will lose customers.

    I use Epson peripherals nowadays because of the fact they work out the box
    on Windows,Linux and Mac. They are cheaper to run, give as good if not
    better results and are reliable. Even when I worked for them I refilled my
    own cartridges on my BJ20 right back to when I had an Amiga, because it was
    still cheaper than staff purchases and the inks were better.

    Unless enough people complain to any company to the right place then it will
    never be noticed that anyone is trying to use their products on Linux, their
    customer help desk neither has the time or inclination to do so. It is
    their loss as a corporation but history is full of companies that rise and
    fall in to oblivion.
    Incidentally even when they they provided drivers for Amigas many years ago
    the drivers were written for them by an outside source in Gemany. Buying
    their products and then getting rid of it still keeps their production lines
    running - short term. Either don't buy their products or buy them and nag
    to the right part of the company, or thirdly write your own driver or get
    someone to do it for you. An old customer wrote his own driver for a GP215
    SCSI scanner to use in DOS because he was p****d off at their lack of
    support but he liked the rest of the kit and what it could do.

    If it doesn't work in Linux I don't buy it to start with is how I vote with
    my wallet, however, if no one bought the kit to start with there would NEVER
    be any driver written - they don't write themselves! so people like myself
    could be considered to be leaching off other peoples previous issues. Or
    just be considered more cautious and doing research before buying
    peripherals. I recently bought a stack of Edimax Wireless cards because a
    native driver is available in Linux, not just Mandriva but as source for any
    distribution. It took a simple Google search to find the information
    needed.

    An end user trying to switch from Windows to Linux has the choice of
    changing hardware, hoping it is included in the distro or sourcing it from
    elsewhere. With only a few exceptions hardware doesn't come with a CD and
    manual that says for Linux use this.

    As for Canon they are unlikely to do so until they believe the Linux desktop
    market is at least as large as the Mac market, their OSX drivers are very
    hit and miss across their range, even on their EFI/Fiery based products
    (Some of which use Linux as their base OS), other products still use Canon's
    own Printer Control language when the rest of the planet uses PCL or PS who
    else uses CAPSOL? or use the Windows printing system as per some of their
    smaller laser printers. They will get a wake up call or lose out, however,
    that is not a decision to be made in the UK it has to come from Japan and is
    likely to be driven by the USA.

    Andrew Ed

  8. Re: Canon MF5750 printer driver

    Andrew Ed wrote:

    > They will get a wake up call or lose out,
    > however, that is not a decision to be made in the UK it has to come from
    > Japan and is likely to be driven by the USA.

    You're entirely right. The Americans will probably outlaw Linux sooner or
    later (there aren't any deliberate backdoors in Linux, unlike Windows) so
    the "powers that be" can't easily examine the contents of Linux users' hard
    drives. Canon and other companies of their ilk probably won't ever get
    'round to writing Linux drivers!

    C.

  9. Re: Canon MF5750 printer driver

    Needless to say, that its just such an issue that triggered the founding of
    FSF and GNU in the first place.

    http://www.april.org/articles/intro/gnu.html.en

    and elsewhere.

+ Reply to Thread