HELP xorg.conf not working - Mandrake

This is a discussion on HELP xorg.conf not working - Mandrake ; Hi, Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control center. I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom ...

  1. HELP xorg.conf not working

    Hi,
    Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the
    screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control center.
    I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom
    then told me it found no screen and puts me into cli mode!
    Logged in as root, went into the xorg.conf and saw I had one set up for
    a lower res, so I changed its name to xorg.conf and rebooted again.
    No luck, still same result.
    I investigated further but found no version (had 3) that would give me
    my screen back, either through rebooting or through Xsession as root.
    So I am a tad at a loss here.
    I managed to get one of the xorg file, below : can anyone tell me just
    what is wrong ?
    I use it on a toshiba laptop.
    In the (unlikely I'm sure) event nothing works, can I solve this problem
    via re-installing linux (avoiding all that concerns formatting and
    losing "home")?

    Thanks for any help!

    G.

    # File generated by XFdrake.

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
    # this file.
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "Files"
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated
    together)
    # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server
    independent of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    FontPath "unix/:-1"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    #DontZap # disable (server abort)
    #DontZoom # disable / (resolution switching)
    AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the
    mouse does not work
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "synaptics"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
    Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "SynapticsMouse1"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "MaxSpeed" "0.18"
    Option "MinSpeed" "0.09"
    Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    Option "FingerLow" "25"
    Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
    Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
    Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
    Option "FingerHigh" "30"
    Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
    Option "RightEdge" "5300"
    Option "TopEdge" "1700"
    Option "AccelFactor" "0.0015"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Generic"
    ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x800"
    HorizSync 31.5-90
    VertRefresh 60

    # Monitor preferred modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 49.0 kHz hsync, ratio
    16/10)
    ModeLine "1280x800" 68.94 1280 1296 1344 1408 800 801 804 816
    -hsync -vsync

    # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
    # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

    # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    Driver "fbdev"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    DefaultColorDepth 16

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Virtual 1280 1024
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Virtual 1280 1024
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Virtual 1280 1024
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1280 1024
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout1"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "SynapticsMouse1" "AlwaysCore"
    Screen "screen1"
    EndSection

  2. Re: HELP xorg.conf not working

    me wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the
    > screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control center.
    > I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom
    > then told me it found no screen and puts me into cli mode!
    > Logged in as root, went into the xorg.conf and saw I had one set up for
    > a lower res, so I changed its name to xorg.conf and rebooted again.
    > No luck, still same result.
    > I investigated further but found no version (had 3) that would give me
    > my screen back, either through rebooting or through Xsession as root.
    > So I am a tad at a loss here.
    > I managed to get one of the xorg file, below : can anyone tell me just
    > what is wrong ?
    > I use it on a toshiba laptop.
    > In the (unlikely I'm sure) event nothing works, can I solve this problem
    > via re-installing linux (avoiding all that concerns formatting and
    > losing "home")?

    Not sure about the xorg.conf file itself, but you might try the following
    exercise:

    From the CLI, login as root and type in mcc (i.e. mandriva control centre) -
    it will be in text mode. Here you should be able to change your screen
    resolution & test how it works before exiting and rebooting (hopefully)
    into a graphical setup.

    HTH

    Rob.

  3. Re: HELP xorg.conf not working

    me writes:

    > Hi,
    > Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the
    > screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control
    > center.
    > I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom
    > then told me it found no screen and puts me into cli mode!
    > Logged in as root, went into the xorg.conf and saw I had one set up
    > for a lower res, so I changed its name to xorg.conf and rebooted again.
    > No luck, still same result.
    > I investigated further but found no version (had 3) that would give me
    > my screen back, either through rebooting or through Xsession as root.
    > So I am a tad at a loss here.
    > I managed to get one of the xorg file, below : can anyone tell me just
    > what is wrong ?
    > I use it on a toshiba laptop.
    > In the (unlikely I'm sure) event nothing works, can I solve this
    > problem via re-installing linux (avoiding all that concerns formatting
    > and losing "home")?

    The config file shows a default depth of 16 and default resolution
    of 1280x1024.

    There is no Modeline for that resolution.

    What is the actual resolution for your LCD? That's the only resolution
    you want to use.

    You can look in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for the error that is
    causing X to give up.

  4. Re: HELP xorg.conf not working

    on Sunday 15 July 2007 20:36
    in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake
    me wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the
    > screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control center.
    > I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom
    > then told me it found no screen and puts me into cli mode!
    > Logged in as root, went into the xorg.conf and saw I had one set up for
    > a lower res, so I changed its name to xorg.conf and rebooted again.
    > No luck, still same result.
    > I investigated further but found no version (had 3) that would give me
    > my screen back, either through rebooting or through Xsession as root.
    > So I am a tad at a loss here.
    > I managed to get one of the xorg file, below : can anyone tell me just
    > what is wrong ?
    > I use it on a toshiba laptop.

    Laptop. Therefore LCD screen. Find out what the native resolution of
    the screen is and use that. That will give you the best results you
    can get from that screen.

    > In the (unlikely I'm sure) event nothing works, can I solve this problem
    > via re-installing linux (avoiding all that concerns formatting and
    > losing "home")?

    Next time you repartition your drive put /home on its own partition.
    Then when it comes time to upgrade or reinstall you can keep /home
    intact. It is also a good idea to put /var on its own partition,
    so that when it fills up it does not crash the system.

    [snip]
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "monitor1"
    > VendorName "Generic"
    > ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x800"

    My guess is it's 1280 by 800 screen!

    [snip]
    > Subsection "Display"
    > Depth 8
    > Virtual 1280 1024
    > EndSubsection

    [snip]

    Do you really want the Virtual screen to be bigger than physical screen?
    If not comment out all of the "Virtual" lines.

    Put
    Modes "1280x800"
    in each of the "Subsection" sections, or
    Modes "1280x800" "640x400" "320x200"
    if you like .

    Look at /var/log/X* for clues.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: HELP xorg.conf not working

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:05:26 +1000, Rob wrote:

    > Not sure about the xorg.conf file itself, but you might try the
    > following exercise:

    > From the CLI, login as root and type in mcc (i.e. mandriva control centre)
    > - it will be in text mode. Here you should be able to change your screen
    > resolution & test how it works before exiting and rebooting (hopefully)
    > into a graphical setup.

    Or this for a even better workout...command:

    xorgconfig

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread