Boot problem (time setting) - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Boot problem (time setting) - Mandrake ; Hi, I've installed Mandriva 2007 spring on a notebook HP with AMD Turion 64 CPU. I can't boot, the boot procedure stops when the time is set. What is bizarre is that sometimes it works and sometimes not. Since I've ...

  1. Boot problem (time setting)

    Hi,

    I've installed Mandriva 2007 spring on a notebook HP with AMD Turion
    64 CPU.
    I can't boot, the boot procedure stops when the time is set.

    What is bizarre is that sometimes it works and sometimes not. Since
    I've installed
    Mandriva, I tried to boot (runlevel 5) about 100 times and the boot
    procedure stopped about 80 times.

    This problem occurs when I want to boot in single user too (runlevel
    1)

    I observe also that the hardware time (into the BIOS) is changed, It
    is related ?

    Can anyone help me ?, I feel very desperate

  2. Re: Boot problem (time setting)

    gilberto@vtxnet.ch wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've installed Mandriva 2007 spring on a notebook HP with AMD Turion
    > 64 CPU.
    > I can't boot, the boot procedure stops when the time is set.
    >
    > What is bizarre is that sometimes it works and sometimes not. Since
    > I've installed
    > Mandriva, I tried to boot (runlevel 5) about 100 times and the boot
    > procedure stopped about 80 times.
    >
    > This problem occurs when I want to boot in single user too (runlevel
    > 1)
    >
    > I observe also that the hardware time (into the BIOS) is changed, It
    > is related ?
    >
    > Can anyone help me ?, I feel very desperate

    I would try with passing at the boot prompt the parameter acpi=off

  3. Re: Boot problem (time setting)

    On 12 juil, 15:20, al wrote:
    > gilbe...@vtxnet.ch wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I've installed Mandriva 2007 spring on a notebook HP with AMD Turion
    > > 64 CPU.
    > > I can't boot, the boot procedure stops when the time is set.

    > > What is bizarre is that sometimes it works and sometimes not. Since
    > > I've installed
    > > Mandriva, I tried to boot (runlevel 5) about 100 times and the boot
    > > procedure stopped about 80 times.

    > > This problem occurs when I want to boot in single user too (runlevel
    > > 1)

    > > I observe also that the hardware time (into the BIOS) is changed, It
    > > is related ?

    > > Can anyone help me ?, I feel very desperate

    > I would try with passing at the boot prompt the parameter acpi=off

    Thanks.
    I tried to switch off the acpi service, but it didn't solve the
    problem.
    Sometimes the boot procedure stopped when the time is set.

  4. Re: Boot problem (time setting)

    gilberto@vtxnet.ch wrote:

    > On 12 juil, 15:20, al wrote:
    >> gilbe...@vtxnet.ch wrote:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > I've installed Mandriva 2007 spring on a notebook HP with AMD Turion
    >> > 64 CPU.
    >> > I can't boot, the boot procedure stops when the time is set.

    >> > What is bizarre is that sometimes it works and sometimes not. Since
    >> > I've installed
    >> > Mandriva, I tried to boot (runlevel 5) about 100 times and the boot
    >> > procedure stopped about 80 times.

    >> > This problem occurs when I want to boot in single user too (runlevel
    >> > 1)

    >> > I observe also that the hardware time (into the BIOS) is changed, It
    >> > is related ?

    >> > Can anyone help me ?, I feel very desperate

    >> I would try with passing at the boot prompt the parameter acpi=off

    > Thanks.
    > I tried to switch off the acpi service, but it didn't solve the
    > problem.
    > Sometimes the boot procedure stopped when the time is set.

    Is there any Bios setting that would prevent or allow the boot process to
    gain access to the clock?

  5. Re: Boot problem (time setting)

    gilberto@vtxnet.ch wrote:

    > On 12 juil, 15:20, al wrote:
    >> gilbe...@vtxnet.ch wrote:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > I've installed Mandriva 2007 spring on a notebook HP with AMD Turion
    >> > 64 CPU.
    >> > I can't boot, the boot procedure stops when the time is set.

    >> > What is bizarre is that sometimes it works and sometimes not. Since
    >> > I've installed
    >> > Mandriva, I tried to boot (runlevel 5) about 100 times and the boot
    >> > procedure stopped about 80 times.

    >> > This problem occurs when I want to boot in single user too (runlevel
    >> > 1)

    >> > I observe also that the hardware time (into the BIOS) is changed, It
    >> > is related ?

    >> > Can anyone help me ?, I feel very desperate

    >> I would try with passing at the boot prompt the parameter acpi=off

    > Thanks.
    > I tried to switch off the acpi service, but it didn't solve the
    > problem.
    > Sometimes the boot procedure stopped when the time is set.

    As another suggestion, what about trying to boot with a Knoppix CD/DVD ?

+ Reply to Thread