what news / mail readers - Mandrake

This is a discussion on what news / mail readers - Mandrake ; Happy with Kontact, used it for years. But am very tempted to try an alternative newsreader, as a trend towards command-line apps, to further my Linux familiarity/knowledge. So what news-readers or mail-readers do we use, and can wholeheartedly recommend ? ...

  1. what news / mail readers

    Happy with Kontact, used it for years. But am very
    tempted to try an alternative newsreader, as a trend
    towards command-line apps, to further my Linux
    familiarity/knowledge.

    So what news-readers or mail-readers do we use, and
    can wholeheartedly recommend ?
    Non-gui, command-line preferred.

    Perhaps Emacs' Gnus and Rmail are the final destination.
    Do BOTH these have a big enthusiastic following ?
    I realize both these are effectively wrappers and don't
    really fit the command-line prescription. But recommended ?

    Elsewhere in this group, a helpful contributor mentioned
    "..real news tools like nn, pan, slrn, tin [..] xrn "
    which raises the issue of basic, native, initial or
    primary tools for Unix/Linux. I mention this because
    a transparent quality would be helpful in interrogating
    or providing some assistance to my troublesome ISP.
    And where best to start is really what I am asking.

    There's much on TLDP re mail/news which I am perusing,
    so this query is more of an informal survey. Thanks.

    Any preferences, suggestions or comments welcome.

  2. Re: what news / mail readers

    Adam wrote:
    > Happy with Kontact, used it for years. But am very
    > tempted to try an alternative newsreader, as a trend
    > towards command-line apps, to further my Linux
    > familiarity/knowledge.
    >
    > So what news-readers or mail-readers do we use, and
    > can wholeheartedly recommend ?
    > Non-gui, command-line preferred.
    >
    > Perhaps Emacs' Gnus and Rmail are the final destination.
    > Do BOTH these have a big enthusiastic following ?
    > I realize both these are effectively wrappers and don't
    > really fit the command-line prescription. But recommended ?
    >
    > Elsewhere in this group, a helpful contributor mentioned
    > "..real news tools like nn, pan, slrn, tin [..] xrn "
    > which raises the issue of basic, native, initial or
    > primary tools for Unix/Linux. I mention this because
    > a transparent quality would be helpful in interrogating
    > or providing some assistance to my troublesome ISP.
    > And where best to start is really what I am asking.
    >
    > There's much on TLDP re mail/news which I am perusing,
    > so this query is more of an informal survey. Thanks.
    >
    > Any preferences, suggestions or comments welcome.

    slrn

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  3. Re: what news / mail readers

    Adam wrote:
    > So what news-readers or mail-readers do we use, and
    > can wholeheartedly recommend ?
    > Non-gui, command-line preferred.

    I like slrn for Usenet

    http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

    and mutt for email

    http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/

  4. Re: what news / mail readers

    On 2007-06-29, Adam wrote:

    [...]

    > Any preferences, suggestions or comments welcome.

    For usenet: slrn.

    I prefer Kmail for email; it can be run on its own, without all the
    'Kontact' stuff, if you only want the email functions. But it is a
    graphical application.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: what news / mail readers

    Interesting. And impressive its all quite slrn so far.
    Not a mention of Gnus gnowhere. Perhaps early days.

  6. Re: what news / mail readers

    On 2007-06-29, Adam wrote:

    > Interesting. And impressive its all quite slrn so far.
    > Not a mention of Gnus gnowhere. Perhaps early days.

    Look at the latest 'statistics' posts for this group; they include
    analyses of the newsreaders used with a count of the number of users and
    number of posts made each week.

    You can see 'all of usenet' figures at
    ; slrn came in at number
    9 last week, and Gnus at number 27.

    Google is number 2, and Outlook Express number one, accounting for about
    half of all posts between them, so you'll know that number of users or
    number of posts is no guide to the merits of a particular client!. AOL
    managed to be credited with 11 posts at 48th spot, so the statistics are
    possibly not totally reliable anyway.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  7. Re: what news / mail readers

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-06-29, Adam wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> Any preferences, suggestions or comments welcome.

    > For usenet: slrn.
    >
    > I prefer Kmail for email; it can be run on its own, without all the
    > 'Kontact' stuff, if you only want the email functions. But it is a
    > graphical application.

    I mentioned slrn. Since you've broken the ice with a graphical email
    suggestion, I'll second it: Kmail for mail.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  8. Re: what news / mail readers

    > If you're an Emacs addict (like me) they Gnus
    > is the way to go for news.

    Does make sense, as we're spending more time
    in Emacs for various things. Still fascinated
    by the mail/news provenance - so I'll stick
    with TLDP for now. And slrn - wow.

    Some threads, like
    Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake
    of the 19th May below, are just no fun when the
    stepped list of the GUI runs out of horizontal
    real estate.
    Not my reason for considering the change, more a
    contributing factor.

  9. Re: what news / mail readers

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Adam wrote:

    >But am very tempted to try an alternative newsreader, as a trend
    >towards command-line apps, to further my Linux familiarity/knowledge.
    >
    >So what news-readers or mail-readers do we use

    [compton ~]$ whatis mail slrn
    mail (1) - send and receive mail
    slrn (1) - An easy to use NNTP based newsreader
    [compton ~]$

    >Non-gui, command-line preferred.

    Is there another kind?

    >Perhaps Emacs' Gnus and Rmail are the final destination.

    "Emacs is a great OS. The only thing it lacks is a decent editor."

    >Elsewhere in this group, a helpful contributor mentioned
    >"..real news tools like nn, pan, slrn, tin [..] xrn "
    >which raises the issue of basic, native, initial or
    >primary tools for Unix/Linux.

    Don't forget rn, or if you like the idea of article threading, 'trn'

    >And where best to start is really what I am asking.

    The Queen said "Start at the beginning" (and continued "go to the end,
    and then stop" - but that's pushing things a bit.

    News readers, like mail tools, editors and browsers, are a personal
    choice. I'm using the original Berkeley 'mail' which is about as crude
    a mail tool as exists, because it does what I need. If I have to, I can
    use others, but why should I change? ;-)

    Old guy

  10. Re: what news / mail readers

    Moe Trin wrote:

    [ .. ]

    > "Emacs is a great OS. The only thing it lacks is a decent editor."

    > The Queen said "Start at the beginning" (and continued "go to the end,
    > and then stop" - but that's pushing things a bit).

    From an interview with a great Turkish-American artist;

    - What is your starting point when you want to give your
    creative output a tangible form?
    - Simply to start, then continue, and finally conclude.

    OT: By golly those RFCs make compelling browsing.

    Thanks. Ads.

  11. Re: what news / mail readers

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:56:06 +1200, Adam wrote:

    >> If you're an Emacs addict (like me) they Gnus is the way to go for news.

    > Does make sense, as we're spending more time in Emacs for various things.
    > Still fascinated by the mail/news provenance - so I'll stick with TLDP for
    > now. And slrn - wow.

    Some time back I was using pine in combination with jed for NG's. Worked
    pretty good but it takes a bit of time to set up.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  12. Re: what news / mail readers

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Adam wrote:

    >OT: By golly those RFCs make compelling browsing.

    Well, there _are_ a lot of them, and they are trying to make things
    inter-operable on the net. Just trying to keep up to date on them can
    be a full time job. In addition to the 4869 existing RFCs

    [compton ~]$ zcat rfcs/rfc-index.txt.06.29.07.gz | sed 's/^$/\%/' | tr
    -d '\n' | tr '%' '\n' | grep '^[0-9]' | tr -s ' ' | grep -v 'Not Issued'
    | sed 's/.*Status: //' | tr -d '\)' | sort | uniq -c | column
    140 BEST CURRENT PRACTICE 1495 INFORMATIONAL
    129 DRAFT STANDARD 1550 PROPOSED STANDARD
    275 EXPERIMENTAL 87 STANDARD
    205 HISTORIC 909 UNKNOWN
    [compton ~]$

    there are some 1700 _drafts_ currently under consideration.

    ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc-index.txt
    ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/internet-...-abstracts.txt

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread