yum for mandrake linux - Mandrake

This is a discussion on yum for mandrake linux - Mandrake ; Hi, Yum is said that it is the best software management tool... Can yum be used for software management in Mandriva 2007? What are the pros and cons? Many thanks, Tony...

  1. yum for mandrake linux

    Hi,
    Yum is said that it is the best software management tool...
    Can yum be used for software management in Mandriva 2007?
    What are the pros and cons?
    Many thanks,

    Tony

  2. Re: yum for mandrake linux

    TonyK writes:

    > Hi,
    > Yum is said that it is the best software management tool...
    > Can yum be used for software management in Mandriva 2007?
    > What are the pros and cons?

    I've used yum and I've used urpmi.

    Stick with urpmi.

    Your first sentence barely makes sense.

  3. Re: yum for mandrake linux

    Dan Espen wrote:
    > TonyK writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Yum is said that it is the best software management tool...
    >> Can yum be used for software management in Mandriva 2007?
    >> What are the pros and cons?

    > I've used yum and I've used urpmi.
    >
    > Stick with urpmi.
    >
    > Your first sentence barely makes sense.

    Many thanks, use urpmi too.

    Agree, could have said it better.

  4. Re: yum for mandrake linux

    "TonyK" wrote in message
    news:JQyfi.598$zA4.561@newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    > Hi,
    > Yum is said that it is the best software management tool...

    This is totally wrong; in Mandriva you have URPMI that might be the best
    software management tool; if you dislike it, you can install apt-get,
    another great tool for managing packages.

    > Can yum be used for software management in Mandriva 2007?
    > What are the pros and cons?
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Tony

  5. Re: yum for mandrake linux

    "D.F" writes:

    > "TonyK" wrote in message
    > news:JQyfi.598$zA4.561@newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >> Hi,
    >> Yum is said that it is the best software management tool...

    > This is totally wrong; in Mandriva you have URPMI that might be the best
    > software management tool; if you dislike it, you can install apt-get,
    > another great tool for managing packages.

    Having used both I think I give urpmi the edge
    for being the best tool, but just slightly, they
    both do just about the same thing.

    However, I find the Mandriva repositories to be way
    more complete thanks to the PLF and contrib.

  6. Re: yum for mandrake linux

    TonyK wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Yum is said that it is the best software management tool...
    > Can yum be used for software management in Mandriva 2007?
    > What are the pros and cons?
    > Many thanks,

    With Mandriva, you have urpmi which is similar or better quality.
    Don't forget about smart - it allows reinstalls and has a nice gui
    (smart-gui) as well.

  7. Re: yum for mandrake linux

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > TonyK wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Yum is said that it is the best software management tool...
    >> Can yum be used for software management in Mandriva 2007?
    >> What are the pros and cons?
    >> Many thanks,
    >>

    > With Mandriva, you have urpmi which is similar or better quality.
    > Don't forget about smart - it allows reinstalls and has a nice gui
    > (smart-gui) as well.

    Have used urpmi, liked it and will stick with it. Won't bother with
    yum anymore. Many thanks to all of those that responded.

+ Reply to Thread