thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm - Mandrake

This is a discussion on thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm - Mandrake ; Good day to all, I was wondering. Is there a mozilla-thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm file for mandriva 2007.1 available? -- Edwin van der Vaart http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site Explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers, onlinemarketingtoday, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

  2. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:20:03 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Good day to all,
    >
    > I was wondering. Is there a mozilla-thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm file for
    > mandriva 2007.1 available?

    Not on my mirrors.
    I do local installs from Mozilla.com. Saves waiting days for updates.
    Snippet from my admin diary.

    #************************************************* ******************
    #*
    #* thunderbird_install.txt
    #*
    #* Download from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    #*
    #* Note: Following assumes a /local/opt partition and
    #* /usr/local/bin is in the front of PATH
    #* so our installs's superceeds /usr/bin/ vendor installed apps.
    #* Example:
    #* echo $PATH
    #* /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/games....
    #*
    #************************************************* ******************

    # exit all email/browser accounts/apps. Click up a terminal
    su - root

    cd /local/opt
    tar zxvf /accounts/downloads/thunderbird-2.0.0.4.tar.gz
    mv thunderbird thunderbird-2.0.0.4
    cd /usr/local/bin
    /bin/rm -f thunderbird
    ln -s /local/opt/thunderbird-2.0.0.4/thunderbird
    ls -al

    #((click up email and go to help about thunderbird to check release))
    #((rm -r /local/opt/thunderbird-old-version directory/files if the tests work))

    #***************** end thunderbird_install.txt *******************

  3. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:20:03 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >> Good day to all,
    >>
    >> I was wondering. Is there a mozilla-thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm file for
    >> mandriva 2007.1 available?

    > Not on my mirrors.
    > I do local installs from Mozilla.com. Saves waiting days for updates.
    > Snippet from my admin diary.
    >
    > #************************************************* ******************
    > #*
    > #* thunderbird_install.txt
    > #*
    > #* Download from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    > #*
    > #* Note: Following assumes a /local/opt partition and
    > #* /usr/local/bin is in the front of PATH
    > #* so our installs's superceeds /usr/bin/ vendor installed apps.
    > #* Example:
    > #* echo $PATH
    > #* /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/games....
    > #*
    > #************************************************* ******************
    >
    > # exit all email/browser accounts/apps. Click up a terminal
    > su - root
    >
    > cd /local/opt
    > tar zxvf /accounts/downloads/thunderbird-2.0.0.4.tar.gz
    > mv thunderbird thunderbird-2.0.0.4
    > cd /usr/local/bin
    > /bin/rm -f thunderbird
    > ln -s /local/opt/thunderbird-2.0.0.4/thunderbird
    > ls -al
    >

    > #((click up email and go to help about thunderbird to check release))
    > #((rm -r /local/opt/thunderbird-old-version directory/files if the tests work)).

    I'll try it and of course I have to make some directories e.g. local in
    the "/".

    Oh, thank you for the info.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

  4. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 2007-06-21, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > I'll try it and of course I have to make some directories e.g. local in
    > the "/".
    >
    > Oh, thank you for the info.

    A 'standard' path to use is /usr/local .

    Lordy

  5. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 22 Jun 2007 02:39:51 GMT, lordy wrote:

    > A 'standard' path to use is /usr/local .

    But, if you want to run multi-boot for different linux releases/distos,
    having a separate /local partition lets you link to it from each distribution.

  6. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:20:03 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Good day to all,
    >
    > I was wondering. Is there a mozilla-thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm file for
    > mandriva 2007.1 available?

    Oh, by the way, Just saw the 2.0.0.4 rpm installed to day. :-)

  7. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 2007-06-22, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 22 Jun 2007 02:39:51 GMT, lordy wrote:
    >>
    >> A 'standard' path to use is /usr/local .

    > But, if you want to run multi-boot for different linux releases/distos,
    > having a separate /local partition lets you link to it from each distribution.

    I didn't pick that up from OP's post

    They are going off to create an /local/opt directory.
    Better they stick to a more standard /usr/local unless they know any
    reason not to?
    You can have /usr/local as a separate partition too.

    And most installers (certainly Mandriva one), will have options to mount
    it.

    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs.../position.html
    "Even on a single computer, /usr/local can be useful if you have several
    distributions installed simultaneously, and want a place to put packages
    that will be the same on all of them."

    Lordy

  8. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 22 Jun 2007 04:09:29 GMT, lordy wrote:

    > They are going off to create an /local/opt directory.

    Yep, he had seen what I was doing. I had used /opt and found other
    distros using /opt

    > Better they stick to a more standard /usr/local unless they know any
    > reason not to?

    Heheheh, Normaly you find that reason through experience.

    > You can have /usr/local as a separate partition too.

    Yes, but some packages install themselves there and might dink up other
    installs already in the same directory from other distros or their release.

    /usr/local/RealPlayer and /usr/local/share/man/man3/* comes to mind
    for different distributions.

  9. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 2007-06-22, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Yes, but some packages install themselves there and might dink up other
    > installs already in the same directory from other distros or their release.
    >
    > /usr/local/RealPlayer and /usr/local/share/man/man3/* comes to mind
    > for different distributions.

    At least in the opinion of many, packages that are managed
    by the distribution's package management system should not
    touch /usr/local, because /usr/local should be left to the
    local system administrator. I filed a report about the
    tetex package messing around in /usr/local, and Adam
    Williamson took my side on the issue. (Adam Williamson is
    _always_ right!)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  10. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:20:03 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >> Good day to all,
    >>
    >> I was wondering. Is there a mozilla-thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm file for
    >> mandriva 2007.1 available?

    > Oh, by the way, Just saw the 2.0.0.4 rpm installed to day. :-)

    Yeah, I noticed that.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de and software-help1.org to duplicate this post.

  11. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    lordy wrote:
    > On 2007-06-21, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >> I'll try it and of course I have to make some directories e.g. local in
    >> the "/".
    >>
    >> Oh, thank you for the info.

    > A 'standard' path to use is /usr/local.

    In that directory I see the following directories:
    bin, doc, etc, games, include, lib, libexec, man, sbin, share and src.
    The most of those directories are empty accept the dir. share and man.

    In /usr/bin in find a shell for thunderbird and a link called
    mozilla-thunderbird. There is a directory of thunderbird in /usr/lib

    When there is a new thunderbird or a firefox is it wise to unpack the
    zip/tar.gz file in the directory /usr/lib/thunderbird?
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
    gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
    this post.

  12. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    lordy wrote:
    > On 2007-06-22, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On 22 Jun 2007 02:39:51 GMT, lordy wrote:
    >>> A 'standard' path to use is /usr/local .

    >> But, if you want to run multi-boot for different linux releases/distos,
    >> having a separate /local partition lets you link to it from each distribution.

    > I didn't pick that up from OP's post
    >
    > They are going off to create an /local/opt directory.
    > Better they stick to a more standard /usr/local unless they know any
    > reason not to?
    > You can have /usr/local as a separate partition too.

    I didn't use /usr/local but /usr/lib and the shell file in /usr/bin.

    > And most installers (certainly Mandriva one), will have options to mount
    > it.

    I didn't know that.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
    gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
    this post.

  13. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:59:40 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > When there is a new thunderbird or a firefox is it wise to unpack the
    > zip/tar.gz file in the directory /usr/lib/thunderbird?

    Well, Mandriva makes some changes to things and you would have to
    rundown a few other things depending on verison of Mandriva Linux.

    You poping in a tar archive in on top of the Mandriva install would be
    mixing apples and oranges.

    Example: If you navigate the KDE menu to Thunderbird, right click it,
    select run dialog, you might see it executing mozilla-thunderbird
    instead of thunderbird.

    In newer releases, the /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird points to
    /usr/bin/thunderbird. In older releases, it was the other way around.

    What would you do if your install breaks thunderbird. :-(

    Then there is the problem of when the next Mandriva update is released.
    Your install is trashed.

    Hey, tell you what, break out a spare partition, copy in your install,
    change /etc/fstab in the new partition, add to the boot loader, and
    you have a testbed to practice whatever you like.

    The following assumes current / install on /dev/hda6 and you create a
    new partition on /dev/hda9.

    Steps:
    Use the Mandriva Control Center (MCC)
    Mount Points-->Create, delete and resize hard disk partitions
    to create a mount point, say testbed and format the new testbed partition.
    Exit MCC.

    I use e2label to label my partitions just to help keep me out of the ditch.

    As an example: e2label /dev/hda9 testbed
    You can use cfdisk /dev/hda to see partition labels. Example snippet:

    sda7 Logical Linux ext3 [accounts] 13415.44
    sda8 Logical Linux ext3 [local] 42500.03
    sda9 Logical Linux ext3 [testbed] 11416.69
    sda10 Logical Linux ext3 [2007_0] 11350.89
    sda11 Logical Linux ext3 [2007_1] 11293.31
    sda12 Logical Linux ext3 [fc7] 10964.30
    sda13 Logical Linux ext3 [hotbu] 11128.81

    You can boot cd 1 in the rescue mode, mount your partitions, pick
    console and

    mkdir /old /new
    mount -t auto /dev/hda6 /old
    mount -t auto /dev/hda9 /new
    cp -a /old/* /new

    umount /old /new
    exit
    shutdown -r now
    Pop cd from drive

    Once system is back up, you can use the editor of choice to
    edit /testbd/etc/fstab and change /dev/hda6 to /dev/hda9
    save your changes and exit.

    Now you add the testbed entry to your boot loader, and you have a
    multiboot system with a hot backup of your current system and a place
    to test.

    --
    The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

  14. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:59:40 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >> When there is a new thunderbird or a firefox is it wise to unpack the
    >> zip/tar.gz file in the directory /usr/lib/thunderbird?

    > Well, Mandriva makes some changes to things and you would have to
    > rundown a few other things depending on verison of Mandriva Linux.
    >
    > You poping in a tar archive in on top of the Mandriva install would be
    > mixing apples and oranges.
    >
    > Example: If you navigate the KDE menu to Thunderbird, right click it,
    > select run dialog, you might see it executing mozilla-thunderbird
    > instead of thunderbird.
    >
    > In newer releases, the /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird points to
    > /usr/bin/thunderbird. In older releases, it was the other way around.
    >
    > What would you do if your install breaks thunderbird. :-(

    If you're be careful. You can make a new directory and a new links to
    start the latest version of Thunderbird or Firefox. Test the latest
    links and installs, if it works perfectly then remove the previous versions.

    > Then there is the problem of when the next Mandriva update is released.
    > Your install is trashed.

    Perhaps it will brake down or not.

    > Hey, tell you what, break out a spare partition, copy in your install,
    > change /etc/fstab in the new partition, add to the boot loader, and
    > you have a testbed to practice whatever you like.
    >
    > The following assumes current / install on /dev/hda6 and you create a
    > new partition on /dev/hda9.
    >
    > Steps:
    > Use the Mandriva Control Center (MCC)
    > Mount Points-->Create, delete and resize hard disk partitions
    > to create a mount point, say testbed and format the new testbed partition.
    > Exit MCC.
    >
    > I use e2label to label my partitions just to help keep me out of the ditch.
    >
    > As an example: e2label /dev/hda9 testbed
    > You can use cfdisk /dev/hda to see partition labels. Example snippet:
    >
    > sda7 Logical Linux ext3 [accounts] 13415.44
    > sda8 Logical Linux ext3 [local] 42500.03
    > sda9 Logical Linux ext3 [testbed] 11416.69
    > sda10 Logical Linux ext3 [2007_0] 11350.89
    > sda11 Logical Linux ext3 [2007_1] 11293.31
    > sda12 Logical Linux ext3 [fc7] 10964.30
    > sda13 Logical Linux ext3 [hotbu] 11128.81
    >
    > You can boot cd 1 in the rescue mode, mount your partitions, pick
    > console and
    >
    > mkdir /old /new
    > mount -t auto /dev/hda6 /old
    > mount -t auto /dev/hda9 /new
    > cp -a /old/* /new
    >
    > umount /old /new
    > exit
    > shutdown -r now
    > Pop cd from drive
    >
    > Once system is back up, you can use the editor of choice to
    > edit /testbd/etc/fstab and change /dev/hda6 to /dev/hda9
    > save your changes and exit.
    >
    > Now you add the testbed entry to your boot loader, and you have a
    > multiboot system with a hot backup of your current system and a place
    > to test.

    Thanks I'll try it.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
    gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
    this post.

  15. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:17:47 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> What would you do if your install breaks thunderbird. :-(

    > If you're be careful. You can make a new directory and a new links to
    > start the latest version of Thunderbird or Firefox.

    True, I made the assumption you would be putting the tar in the Mandriva
    thunderbird directory since you mentioned /usr/lib/

    >> Then there is the problem of when the next Mandriva update is released.
    >> Your install is trashed.

    > Perhaps it will brake down or not.

    Well, I would assume you would have different releases at the same
    time while breaking in the new release. Example:

    thunderbird-2.0.0.0
    thunderbird-2.0.0.4

    If so, then next Mandriva update would be installed into your
    thunderbird-2.0.0.4

    Downside to you putting custom installs in /usr/lib is that you can
    not share them accross different releases without more work.

  16. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > lordy wrote:
    >> On 2007-06-21, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>> I'll try it and of course I have to make some directories e.g. local
    >>> in the "/".
    >>>
    >>> Oh, thank you for the info.

    >> A 'standard' path to use is /usr/local.

    > In that directory I see the following directories:
    > bin, doc, etc, games, include, lib, libexec, man, sbin, share and src.
    > The most of those directories are empty accept the dir. share and man.

    Normal. These are standard locations, but unless you install software
    that was intended to go in them, they will not contain anything.

    > In /usr/bin in find a shell for thunderbird and a link called
    > mozilla-thunderbird. There is a directory of thunderbird in /usr/lib

    This is the standard set-up for Mandriva, and has been for a year or
    more. Other distributions, and old Mandriva versions, may do things
    differently.

    > When there is a new thunderbird or a firefox is it wise to unpack the
    > zip/tar.gz file in the directory /usr/lib/thunderbird?

    If you use Mandriva's Linux Control Center to install the update, that
    will take care of such things for you. No need to worry about it. If
    you download from mozilla.org, I would recommend leaving the existing
    thunderbird in /usr/lib and install the new one in (e.g.)
    /usr/local/thunderbird. When the new thunderbird is working well,
    use urpme to uninstall the old thunderbird package.

    Cheers!

    jim b.
    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  17. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:42:37 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Normal. These are standard locations, but unless you install software
    > that was intended to go in them, they will not contain anything.

    locate DCOP.3pm 8-)

  18. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:17:47 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>> What would you do if your install breaks thunderbird. :-(

    >> If you're be careful. You can make a new directory and a new links to
    >> start the latest version of Thunderbird or Firefox.

    > True, I made the assumption you would be putting the tar in the Mandriva
    > thunderbird directory since you mentioned /usr/lib/

    Yes, I would be putting the unzipped version from the tar into the /usr/lib/

    >>> Then there is the problem of when the next Mandriva update is released.
    >>> Your install is trashed.

    >> Perhaps it will brake down or not.

    > Well, I would assume you would have different releases at the same
    > time while breaking in the new release. Example:
    >
    > thunderbird-2.0.0.0
    > thunderbird-2.0.0.4
    >
    > If so, then next Mandriva update would be installed into your
    > thunderbird-2.0.0.4

    If you have thunderbird updated with Mandriva update it installs in e.g.
    thunderbird-2.0.0.4. When 2.0.0.5 is released Mandriva make a 2.0.0.5
    directory in /usr/lib/.

    > Downside to you putting custom installs in /usr/lib is that you can
    > not share them accross different releases without more work.

    I think I'll menaced that.
    A little bit of work doesn't hurt.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
    gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
    this post.

  19. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >> lordy wrote:

    >>> A 'standard' path to use is /usr/local.

    >> In that directory I see the following directories:
    >> bin, doc, etc, games, include, lib, libexec, man, sbin, share and src.
    >> The most of those directories are empty accept the dir. share and man.

    > Normal. These are standard locations, but unless you install software
    > that was intended to go in them, they will not contain anything.
    >
    >> In /usr/bin in find a shell for thunderbird and a link called
    >> mozilla-thunderbird. There is a directory of thunderbird in /usr/lib

    > This is the standard set-up for Mandriva, and has been for a year or
    > more. Other distributions, and old Mandriva versions, may do things
    > differently.
    >>
    >> When there is a new thunderbird or a firefox is it wise to unpack the
    >> zip/tar.gz file in the directory /usr/lib/thunderbird?

    > If you use Mandriva's Linux Control Center to install the update, that
    > will take care of such things for you. No need to worry about it. If
    > you download from mozilla.org, I would recommend leaving the existing
    > thunderbird in /usr/lib and install the new one in (e.g.)
    > /usr/local/thunderbird. When the new thunderbird is working well,
    > use urpme to uninstall the old thunderbird package.

    Thanks for the info.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
    gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
    this post.

  20. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:42:37 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > If you use Mandriva's Linux Control Center to install the update, that
    > will take care of such things for you. No need to worry about it. If
    > you download from mozilla.org, I would recommend leaving the existing
    > thunderbird in /usr/lib and install the new one in (e.g.)
    > /usr/local/thunderbird. When the new thunderbird is working well,
    > use urpme to uninstall the old thunderbird package.

    Downside to that is you lose the dektop entries for the application.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast