thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm - Mandrake

This is a discussion on thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm - Mandrake ; Bit Twister wrote: > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:42:37 GMT, Jim Beard wrote: > >> If you use Mandriva's Linux Control Center to install the update, that >> will take care of such things for you. No need to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

  1. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:42:37 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> If you use Mandriva's Linux Control Center to install the update, that
    >> will take care of such things for you. No need to worry about it. If
    >> you download from mozilla.org, I would recommend leaving the existing
    >> thunderbird in /usr/lib and install the new one in (e.g.)
    >> /usr/local/thunderbird. When the new thunderbird is working well,
    >> use urpme to uninstall the old thunderbird package.

    > Downside to that is you lose the dektop entries for the application.

    Unless you make a copy for those entries.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

  2. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 2007-06-20, Bit Twister wrote:

    > #************************************************* ******************
    > #*
    > #* thunderbird_install.txt
    > #*
    > #* Download from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    > #*
    > #* Note: Following assumes a /local/opt partition and
    > #* /usr/local/bin is in the front of PATH
    > #* so our installs's superceeds /usr/bin/ vendor installed apps.

    why "'s"? supersedes

    our install supersedes

    > #* Example:
    > #* echo $PATH
    > #* /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/games....
    > #*
    > #************************************************* ******************

  3. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Curt wrote:
    > On 2007-06-20, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> #************************************************* ******************
    >> #*
    >> #* thunderbird_install.txt
    >> #*
    >> #* Download from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    >> #*
    >> #* Note: Following assumes a /local/opt partition and
    >> #* /usr/local/bin is in the front of PATH
    >> #* so our installs's superceeds /usr/bin/ vendor installed apps.

    > why "'s"? supersedes

    Elided word "commands" or "apps."

    Or typo, if you prefer to look at it that way. And at least one
    can be identified in the sentence, if you really want to go to
    the trouble.

    Go play on the French Debian boards, or on
    alt.english.composition_minutiae.fanatics

    Troll.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > If you use Mandriva's Linux Control Center to install the update, that
    > will take care of such things for you. No need to worry about it. If
    > you download from mozilla.org, I would recommend leaving the existing
    > thunderbird in /usr/lib and install the new one in (e.g.)
    > /usr/local/thunderbird. When the new thunderbird is working well,
    > use urpme to uninstall the old thunderbird package.

    Tried that, but I got an error message:
    /usr/local/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.0/thunderbird-2.0.0.0-bin: error while
    file: No such file or directory

    When I use a start on mine desktop, I see in the bottom panel the
    message thunderbird-2.0.0.0 started and then it's disappeared.
    What I'm doing wrong or overlooked?
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
    gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
    this post.

  5. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 2007-06-24, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Curt wrote:
    >> On 2007-06-20, Bit Twister wrote:
    >>> #************************************************* ******************
    >>> #*
    >>> #* thunderbird_install.txt
    >>> #*
    >>> #* Download from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    >>> #*
    >>> #* Note: Following assumes a /local/opt partition and
    >>> #* /usr/local/bin is in the front of PATH
    >>> #* so our installs's superceeds /usr/bin/ vendor installed apps.

    >> why "'s"? supersedes

    > Elided word "commands" or "apps."

    Not impossible, although I think my suggestion of "our install
    supersedes" is sufficiently clear.

    > Or typo, if you prefer to look at it that way. And at least one

    Well, it's not really a question of what I prefer. There is a typo I
    didn't even notice (the superfluous 's'), a spelling error which can
    only be attributed to ignorance, and perhaps a grammatical error. I
    only went to the trouble to proofread the thing because it appears to
    be, and is presented as, a script of some kind. I think that we should
    take particular care in such a case to "write in clear, grammatical,
    correctly-spelled language."
    (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#writewell)

    > can be identified in the sentence, if you really want to go to
    > the trouble.

    I went to the trouble to correct the spelling error as well as the
    grammatical one.

    > Go play on the French Debian boards, or on

    Please go **** yourself, Jim, if you're unhappy with my selfless intervention.

  6. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Curt wrote:
    > I only went to the trouble to proofread the thing because it appears to
    > be, and is presented as, a script of some kind. I think that we should
    > take particular care in such a case to "write in clear, grammatical,
    > correctly-spelled language."

    Nonsense. You are not capable of recognizing a computer shell "script
    of some kind" and have no idea what the rules of grammar and syntax are
    that govern such writing. And you are unlikely to be capable of
    thought, as demonstrated by your virtuosity in use of English
    profanity.

    Troll.

    plonk

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 2007-06-24, Jim Beard wrote:

    Why don't you be quiet until you have something constructive to say?

    Or would that condemn you to an eternity of silence?

  8. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:38:06 -0400, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Tried that, but I got an error message:
    > /usr/local/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.0/thunderbird-2.0.0.0-bin: error while
    > file: No such file or directory

    rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
    libstdc++5-3.3.6-3mdk
    so run "urpmi libstdc++5".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: [OT] thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 24 Jun 2007 14:31:07 GMT, Curt wrote:

    > Well, it's not really a question of what I prefer. There is a typo I
    > didn't even notice (the superfluous 's'), a spelling error which can

    Or in my case, typing about a possessive /install's application/,
    deleting 'application' as redundant, not backing up far enough and
    removing the 's when composing on the fly as it were. I did the ad hoc
    description during the reply and pasted them back into in my admin diary.

    > I only went to the trouble to proofread the thing because it
    > appears to be, and is presented as, a script of some kind.

    Well you are pretty close there. They are the commands for doing the
    install. so they look like a script. Commented just in case a newbie
    tries running them via a straight cut/paste,
    and provide an example of documentation for their diary.
    In my admin diary, there were just 3 comment lines.

  10. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:38:06 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > When I use a start on mine desktop, I see in the bottom panel the
    > message thunderbird-2.0.0.0 started and then it's disappeared.
    > What I'm doing wrong or overlooked?

    If you created the desktop shortcut, then right click it, properties,
    Application, Command: and set it to what you want to run.

    If clicking Thunderbird from the menu, I guess it is running
    mozilla-thunderbird and you will need to change the link to point to
    your thunderbird install.

  11. Re: [OT] thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 2007-06-24, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> I only went to the trouble to proofread the thing because it
    >> appears to be, and is presented as, a script of some kind.

    > Well you are pretty close there. They are the commands for doing the
    > install. so they look like a script. Commented just in case a newbie
    > tries running them via a straight cut/paste,
    > and provide an example of documentation for their diary.

    Yeah, it looked like source code comments/doc to me; I noticed a couple
    of errors and was kind enough to let you know about it.

    Then some belligerent idiot looks at my headers, because he thinks he's
    a clever hacker, and wants to do one of those "you shouldn't have
    stabbed us in the back during the build-up to the most recent war in
    Iraq" number on me.

    Jesus.

    > In my admin diary, there were just 3 comment lines.

    I'm glad you didn't take umbrage, Bit. It was all meant in the purest
    spirit of good old pedagogical fun, just like when somebody gives you a
    UUOC (usually Chris Johnson).

  12. Re: [OT] thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 24 Jun 2007 16:21:12 GMT, Curt wrote:

    > I'm glad you didn't take umbrage, Bit.

    Can't. Too many years of assembly code, debuggers which had six
    character limits for variables/labels, schedules not allowing for
    documentation has runined what words I picked up by rote learning in
    school. :-(

    > It was all meant in the purest
    > spirit of good old pedagogical fun,

    You may want to consider the use of smileys then. :-)
    Here mail this to yourself and see what emoticons show up.

    Smiley list which works in Mozilla.
    Remove space from example on end of line to make any smiley shown on
    the left of the line.

    :-) Your basic smiley :- )
    ;-) Winky smiley ;- )
    :-( Frowning smiley :- (
    O:-) angel O:- )
    8-) User is wearing sunglasses 8- )
    :-[ rosey cheeks :- [
    :-* red lips, big eyelashes :- *
    :-D User is laughing at you :- D
    :-X User's lips are sealed. :- X
    Gleep...a friendly midget smiley : )
    Sad : (
    :-P sticking out tongue :- P

    > just like when somebody gives you a UUOC (usually Chris Johnson).

    Well, Chris's UUOC is always justified.

    In the deep past, there seemed to be a bunch of flustrated English/Spelling
    teachers out there.

    You quoted the smart questions, so I'll give you one. :-D

    3.1.1 General Guidelines for mailing lists and NetNews

    " Messages and articles should be brief and to the point. Don't wander
    off-topic, don't ramble and don't send mail or post messages solely to
    point out other people's errors in typing or spelling. These, more
    than any other behavior, mark you as an immature beginner. "

    http://www.cybernothing.org/cno/docs/rfc1855.html

  13. Re: [OT] thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 2007-06-24, Bit Twister wrote:

    > You quoted the smart questions, so I'll give you one. :-D
    >
    > 3.1.1 General Guidelines for mailing lists and NetNews
    >
    > " Messages and articles should be brief and to the point. Don't wander
    > off-topic, don't ramble and don't send mail or post messages solely to
    > point out other people's errors in typing or spelling. These, more
    > than any other behavior, mark you as an immature beginner. "

    Sure, and I agree with the above, but in this precise case I thought you
    were disseminating a self-documented "program" (you commented out the
    documentation in exactly the same way you would comment out the
    explicative remarks in a piece of code), and so I felt justified in
    correcting your inadvertent grammatical mistakes, as I would have felt
    justified in correcting inadvertent errors in the code itself.

    Anyway, it's _supersedes_.

    ;-)

  14. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:38:06 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >

    >> When I use a start on mine desktop, I see in the bottom panel the
    >> message thunderbird-2.0.0.0 started and then it's disappeared.
    >> What I'm doing wrong or overlooked?

    > If you created the desktop shortcut, then right click it, properties,
    > Application, Command: and set it to what you want to run.

    I did made a shortcut like the way you described. However thunderbird
    doesn't startup.

    > If clicking Thunderbird from the menu, I guess it is running
    > mozilla-thunderbird and you will need to change the link to point to
    > your thunderbird install.

    I did made a copy before I changed the link to point where thunderbird
    is unpacked. But still thunderbird doesn't startup.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de and software-help1.org to duplicate this post.

  15. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:38:06 -0400, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >
    >> Tried that, but I got an error message:
    >> /usr/local/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.0/thunderbird-2.0.0.0-bin: error while
    >> file: No such file or directory

    > rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
    > libstdc++5-3.3.6-3mdk
    > so run "urpmi libstdc++5".

    I'll try you suggestion, thanks for you help.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de and software-help1.org to duplicate this post.

  16. Re: [OT] thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 24 Jun 2007 16:21:12 GMT, Curt wrote:
    >
    > Smiley list which works in Mozilla.
    > Remove space from example on end of line to make any smiley shown on
    > the left of the line.
    >
    > :-) Your basic smiley :- )
    > ;-) Winky smiley ;- )
    > :-( Frowning smiley :- (
    > O:-) angel O:- )
    > 8-) User is wearing sunglasses 8- )
    > :-[ rosey cheeks :- [
    > :-* red lips, big eyelashes :- *
    > :-D User is laughing at you :- D
    > :-X User's lips are sealed. :- X
    > Gleep...a friendly midget smiley : )
    > Sad : (
    > :-P sticking out tongue :- P

    Thank you for the small list of smillies
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de and software-help1.org to duplicate this post.

  17. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:51:27 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > I did made a shortcut like the way you described. However thunderbird
    > doesn't startup.

    Tisk, tisk, tisk. all that information given in
    just going to waste, not to mention our time.

    > I did made a copy before I changed the link to point where thunderbird
    > is unpacked. But still thunderbird doesn't startup.

    If you are going to continue to keep providing no information, I'll
    have to kill file this thread.

    Show us the command used in short cut.
    Click up a terminal and run the command used in shortcut

    show us command and results of above and the next two commands

    type thunderbird_command_used_here

    ls -al of_results_of_above_command

  18. Re: [OT] thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:00:58 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Thank you for the small list of smillies

    No thanks, needed. I try to write to the lurders when I respond to posts,
    even when I know the poster knows what I am writing about. 8-)

  19. Re: thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>> When I use a start on mine desktop, I see in the bottom panel the
    >>> message thunderbird-2.0.0.0 started and then it's disappeared.
    >>> What I'm doing wrong or overlooked?

    This is a long shot, but in a terminal window try running the command
    set
    and see what (if anything) seems to refer to thunderbird. On my
    system (64-bit 2007.1, Thunderbird updated to 2.0.0.4 using the
    Mandriva rpm recently posted) set turns up nothing that seems to
    related. If you find anything that is, it may be a left-over from
    the earlier version and causing problems.

    Other things to look at:
    [jim@jb ~]$ which thunderbird /* where is thunderbird command */
    /usr/bin/thunderbird
    [jim@jb ~]$ ls -l /usr/bin/*thunder* /* what else might confuse things */
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 21 23:42 /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird ->
    thunderbird
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5190 Jun 20 15:06 /usr/bin/thunderbird

    In this case, only a symbolic link that points to the proper command.
    If it pointed elsewhere, you might have a problem from that.

    Cheers!

    jim b.
    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  20. Re: [OT] thunderbird 2.0.0.4 rpm

    On 24 Jun 2007 19:24:13 GMT, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:00:58 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you for the small list of smillies

    > No thanks, needed. I try to write to the lurders when I respond to posts,
    > even when I know the poster knows what I am writing about. 8-)

    Frap, that should be lurkers not lurders.