What's Mandrake 9's "DNA" - Mandrake

This is a discussion on What's Mandrake 9's "DNA" - Mandrake ; Is Mandrake like Redhat or what? What is it based on, beyond the basic Kernel. Is it Debian? Is it KDE? It appears to be both.......

  1. What's Mandrake 9's "DNA"

    Is Mandrake like Redhat or what? What is it based on, beyond the basic
    Kernel. Is it Debian? Is it KDE? It appears to be both....

  2. Re: What's Mandrake 9's "DNA"

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:42:31 GMT, Umma Gumma wrote:
    > Is Mandrake like Redhat or what? What is it based on, beyond the basic
    > Kernel. Is it Debian? Is it KDE? It appears to be both....

    You are mixing your apples (distribution) and oranges (desktop).
    Mandrake, now called Mandriva, started as a clone from Redhat.

    KDE desktop manager runs under the distribution's linux OS.

    I run KDE on a distribution when given a choice.

  3. Re: What's Mandrake 9's "DNA"

    On 2007-06-18, Umma Gumma wrote:
    > Is Mandrake like Redhat or what? What is it based on, beyond the basic
    > Kernel. Is it Debian? Is it KDE? It appears to be both....

    Mandrake Linux began with version 5.1, in 1998 - so numbered because it was
    a 'fork' of Red Hat version 5.1.

    In 2004, Mandrake merged with Lycoris and Conectiva and the new company is
    called Mandriva. The last version issued with the name Mandrake was 10.1,
    also known as Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition. The current version is
    Mandriva 2007.1 (also known as Mandriva 2007 Spring).

    KDE is not a distro (which Debian, Red Hat, and Mandriva, are); it is a
    'desktop environment' which runs on any Unix or Linux system that has an
    X11 graphical server. Mandriva usually defaults to using KDE but there
    are many other 'desktop envornment' and 'window manager' options, just as
    there are for any Linux or Unix system - or you can run the system in text
    mode only.

    Mandriva has its own package management system, known as "urpmi", which is
    an enhancement of the original Red Hat package management system (RPM) and
    uses RPM files to install pre-compiled binaries - but note that Mandriva
    RPMs are not reliably interchangeable with those compiled for any other
    distro. Mandriva has pre-compiled Mandriva RPMs for a vast number of
    programs, which can be downloaded using the text or graphical interfaces
    of "urpmi" (although the installation DVD already includes most of the
    popular ones).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: What's Mandrake 9's "DNA"

    "Whiskers" wrote in message
    > On 2007-06-18, Umma Gumma wrote:
    >> Is Mandrake like Redhat or what? What is it based on, beyond the basic
    >> Kernel. Is it Debian? Is it KDE? It appears to be both....

    > Mandrake Linux began with version 5.1, in 1998 - so numbered because it
    > was
    > a 'fork' of Red Hat version 5.1.
    >
    > In 2004, Mandrake merged with Lycoris and Conectiva and the new company is
    > called Mandriva. The last version issued with the name Mandrake was 10.1,
    > also known as Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition. The current version is
    > Mandriva 2007.1 (also known as Mandriva 2007 Spring).
    >
    > KDE is not a distro (which Debian, Red Hat, and Mandriva, are); it is a
    > 'desktop environment' which runs on any Unix or Linux system that has an
    > X11 graphical server. Mandriva usually defaults to using KDE but there
    > are many other 'desktop envornment' and 'window manager' options, just as
    > there are for any Linux or Unix system - or you can run the system in text
    > mode only.
    >
    > Mandriva has its own package management system, known as "urpmi", which is
    > an enhancement of the original Red Hat package management system (RPM) and
    > uses RPM files to install pre-compiled binaries - but note that Mandriva
    > RPMs are not reliably interchangeable with those compiled for any other
    > distro. Mandriva has pre-compiled Mandriva RPMs for a vast number of
    > programs, which can be downloaded using the text or graphical interfaces
    > of "urpmi" (although the installation DVD already includes most of the
    > popular ones).
    >

    > --
    > -- Whiskers

    Thank you. That clarifies a lot! Thank you, guys, for being so helpful!

+ Reply to Thread