Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to? - Mandrake ; I have a Windows XP SP2 box and an older Mandrake 9 box. The older box wouldn't take any Linux op sys but Mandrake. I have reinstalled the Mandrake clean. It's communicating with the web fine through a router. I ...

  1. Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to?

    I have a Windows XP SP2 box and an older Mandrake 9 box. The older box
    wouldn't take any Linux op sys but Mandrake. I have reinstalled the Mandrake
    clean. It's communicating with the web fine through a router. I referenced a
    tutorial on the Ubuntu website instructing me to install openssh-server. Did
    that through the package manager. Then I downloaded WinSCP and attempted to
    access the file system from Windows XP to the Mandrake computer. The
    Mandrake consistently refuses the connection. What am I doing wrong?

  2. Re: Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to?

    Umma Gumma wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP SP2 box and an older Mandrake 9 box. The older box
    > wouldn't take any Linux op sys but Mandrake. I have reinstalled the Mandrake
    > clean. It's communicating with the web fine through a router. I referenced a
    > tutorial on the Ubuntu website instructing me to install openssh-server. Did
    > that through the package manager. Then I downloaded WinSCP and attempted to
    > access the file system from Windows XP to the Mandrake computer. The
    > Mandrake consistently refuses the connection. What am I doing wrong?

    You need to run samba on your Linux computer. (Samba is an SMB server).
    Samba is included in your Mandrake 9.0 distribution disks.

    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...nux,_and_Samba

  3. Re: Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to?

    "Jim Townsend" wrote in message
    > Umma Gumma wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Windows XP SP2 box and an older Mandrake 9 box. The older box
    >> wouldn't take any Linux op sys but Mandrake. I have reinstalled the
    >> Mandrake
    >> clean. It's communicating with the web fine through a router. I
    >> referenced a
    >> tutorial on the Ubuntu website instructing me to install openssh-server.
    >> Did
    >> that through the package manager. Then I downloaded WinSCP and attempted
    >> access the file system from Windows XP to the Mandrake computer. The
    >> Mandrake consistently refuses the connection. What am I doing wrong?

    > You need to run samba on your Linux computer. (Samba is an SMB server).
    > Samba is included in your Mandrake 9.0 distribution disks.
    >
    > http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...nux,_and_Samba

    Wow. Fabulous link! Thank you very much. I did try to run Samba on the
    Mandrake but it wouldn't take for some reason. Maybe with a reinstall it'll
    work. Thanks again!

  4. Re: Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to?

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:25:43 GMT, Umma Gumma wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP SP2 box and an older Mandrake 9 box. The older box
    > wouldn't take any Linux op sys but Mandrake. I have reinstalled the Mandrake
    > clean. It's communicating with the web fine through a router. I referenced a
    > tutorial on the Ubuntu website instructing me to install openssh-server. Did
    > that through the package manager. Then I downloaded WinSCP and attempted to
    > access the file system from Windows XP to the Mandrake computer. The
    > Mandrake consistently refuses the connection. What am I doing wrong?

    We need to see if the ssh deamon/service is running for your runlevel
    and you need to see if something shows up in the log when you attempt
    to connect.

    click up a terminal and log in as root with the command
    su - root

    Now run the following 3 commands and paste them and their results in
    your reply

    grep :initdefault: /etc/inittab
    chkconfig --list sshd
    chkconfig --list shorewall

    Next, command will watch a log file. After you start it, go try and
    login from the doze box and see if a message pops into the log.

    tail -f /var/log/messages

    If you see the same kind of message everytime you attempt WinSCP
    login, paste it in your reply.

    When done, hit a Ctl c to abort the tail command.
    exit to close the root terminal
    exit to close the user terminal

  5. Re: Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to?

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:25:43 +0000, Umma Gumma wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP SP2 box and an older Mandrake 9 box. The older box
    > wouldn't take any Linux op sys but Mandrake. I have reinstalled the Mandrake
    > clean. It's communicating with the web fine through a router. I referenced a
    > tutorial on the Ubuntu website instructing me to install openssh-server. Did
    > that through the package manager. Then I downloaded WinSCP and attempted to
    > access the file system from Windows XP to the Mandrake computer. The
    > Mandrake consistently refuses the connection. What am I doing wrong?

    I don't know what winscp is, but if you want to access the linux box from
    a windows box using ssh, you have to have sshd (ssh server) running on the
    linux box and use an ssh client on any other machine. ssh is a shell
    server, not a file server, basically giving you a terminal off the linux
    box in which you can run commands on the linux box. If that's what you
    really want, then use a windows ssh client to login into the linux box
    as one of the linux box users. If you just want file access, then run
    samba.

  6. Re: Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to?

    I REALLY OWE YOU A NOTE OF GRATITUDE! Thank you VERY much. I now have my
    little home network working!

    In the end I went with DSL-N, primarily because I wanted as small an
    operating system on the machine as possible to maximize the space available.
    Plus it's an OLD machine, so I couldn't load nicer operating systems like
    the new variant of Mandrake or Ubuntu or (a personal favourite from a
    graphic point of view) Kubuntu. DSL-N comes with Samba installed. WinSCP
    gives Windows the ability to share files with a Linux box. It's all working
    (fingers cross forever!). And again...

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

    "Umma Gumma" wrote in message
    > "Jim Townsend" wrote in message
    >> Umma Gumma wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Windows XP SP2 box and an older Mandrake 9 box. The older box
    >>> wouldn't take any Linux op sys but Mandrake. I have reinstalled the
    >>> Mandrake
    >>> clean. It's communicating with the web fine through a router. I
    >>> referenced a
    >>> tutorial on the Ubuntu website instructing me to install openssh-server.
    >>> Did
    >>> that through the package manager. Then I downloaded WinSCP and attempted
    >>> access the file system from Windows XP to the Mandrake computer. The
    >>> Mandrake consistently refuses the connection. What am I doing wrong?

    >> You need to run samba on your Linux computer. (Samba is an SMB server).
    >> Samba is included in your Mandrake 9.0 distribution disks.
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...nux,_and_Samba

    > Wow. Fabulous link! Thank you very much. I did try to run Samba on the
    > Mandrake but it wouldn't take for some reason. Maybe with a reinstall
    > it'll work. Thanks again!

  7. Re: Networking a Windows XP SP2 and a Mandrake 9 system...how to?

    "Wes Newell" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:25:43 +0000, Umma Gumma wrote:
    >

    > I don't know what winscp is, but if you want to access the linux box from
    > a windows box using ssh, you have to have sshd (ssh server) running on the
    > linux box and use an ssh client on any other machine. ssh is a shell
    > server, not a file server, basically giving you a terminal off the linux
    > box in which you can run commands on the linux box. If that's what you
    > really want, then use a windows ssh client to login into the linux box
    > as one of the linux box users. If you just want file access, then run
    > samba.

    WinSCP is a freebee. Great little application.

    WinSCP is an open source free SFTP client and FTP client for Windows. Legacy
    SCP protocol is also supported. Its main function is safe copying of files
    between a local and a remote computer.

    Features
    a.. Graphical user interface
    b.. Translated into several languages
    c.. Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons)
    d.. U3 support
    e.. All common operations with files
    f.. Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old
    FTP protocol
    g.. Batch file scripting and command-line interface
    h.. Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways
    i.. Integrated text editor
    j.. Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and
    Kerberos (GSS) authentication
    k.. Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support
    of public key authentication with SSH
    l.. Windows Explorer-like and Norton Commander-like interfaces
    m.. Optionally stores session information
    n.. Optionally supports standalone operation using a configuration file in
    place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media
    http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

+ Reply to Thread