    Thanks

    Aart Scheepers

  2. Re: Compile on Mandriva 2007spring does not run on debian

    On 2007-06-17, Spaarzegeltjes.nl wrote:
    > When I compile my software on mandriva 2007 spring, and I upload to my
    > webserver (which runs on debian) I get a math error.
    >
    > I did create a debian vmware machine, and linking on that does solve the
    > problem.
    >
    > What can cause this, and how to avoid?

    What hardware platform is your web server running on?

    What libraries does the program need? Are they installed on the
    webserver?

    What error messages (the actual messages, not a paraphrase) do you
    get?

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  3. Re: Compile on Mandriva 2007spring does not run on debian

    1: Same as my mandrive (I also tried it on a vmware debian on the same
    machine)

    2: None, I guess. I tried it with a simple hello world program. Failes

    3: ./test
    Floating point exception

    Program:

    #include
    int main()
    {
    printf("Hello world\n\n\n");
    }

    Compile:
    cc -o test test.c

    It did work on the previous version of mandriva.

    Thanks

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2007-06-17, Spaarzegeltjes.nl wrote:
    >> When I compile my software on mandriva 2007 spring, and I upload to my
    >> webserver (which runs on debian) I get a math error.
    >>
    >> I did create a debian vmware machine, and linking on that does solve the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> What can cause this, and how to avoid?

    > What hardware platform is your web server running on?
    >
    > What libraries does the program need? Are they installed on the
    > webserver?
    >
    > What error messages (the actual messages, not a paraphrase) do you
    > get?

  4. Re: Compile on Mandriva 2007spring does not run on debian

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:44:44 -0400, Spaarzegeltjes.nl wrote:

    > cc -o test test.c
    > It did work on the previous version of mandriva.

    On Mandriva, run "ldd test", to see what libraries are
    being dynamically loaded.

    Run "ldd test", on the target system, to see which libs
    are missing.

    For the missing libs, go back to mandriva, and run
    "rpm -q -f /path/libname", to find out which packages
    you have there, that are missing on the target system.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Compile on Mandriva 2007spring does not run on debian

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    Mandriva reports:
    $ ldd test
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xbfffe000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0xb7e80000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fc9000)

    Debian reports:
    $ ldd test
    not a dynamic executable
    $ file test:
    test: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Inter 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
    GNU/Linux
    2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, not
    stripped

    Now what?

    Thanks for the support

  6. Re: Compile on Mandriva 2007spring does not run on debian

    On 2007-06-18, Spaarzegeltjes.nl wrote:

    > Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-06-17, Spaarzegeltjes.nl wrote:
    >>> When I compile my software on mandriva 2007 spring, and I upload to my
    >>> webserver (which runs on debian) I get a math error.
    >>>
    >>> I did create a debian vmware machine, and linking on that does solve the
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> What can cause this, and how to avoid?

    >> What hardware platform is your web server running on?
    >>
    >> What libraries does the program need? Are they installed on the
    >> webserver?
    >>
    >> What error messages (the actual messages, not a paraphrase) do you
    >> get?

    [please don't top post]

    > 1: Same as my mandrive (I also tried it on a vmware debian on the same
    > machine)

    What are you saying?

    If you run it on a vmware Debian system on the same machine as it
    is compiled that it works?

    If you run it on a remote machine it doesn't?

    What hardware is the remote system running on? What is your local
    machine?

    > 2: None, I guess. I tried it with a simple hello world program. Failes
    >
    > 3: ./test
    > Floating point exception
    >
    > Program:
    >
    > #include
    > int main()
    > {
    > printf("Hello world\n\n\n");
    > }
    >
    > Compile:
    > cc -o test test.c
    >
    > It did work on the previous version of mandriva.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  7. Re: Compile on Mandriva 2007spring does not run on debian

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:34:18 -0400, Spaarzegeltjes.nl wrote:

    > Debian reports:
    > $ ldd test
    > not a dynamic executable
    > $ file test:
    > test: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Inter 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
    > GNU/Linux
    > 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, not
    > stripped

    > Now what?

    Try using the -static option, when you compile/link it. If that
    fails, you'll have to transfer the source, and rebuild the executable
    on the debian system, which would be the safer/standard way of providing
    applications for multiple distributions.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: Compile on Mandriva 2007spring does not run on debian

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2007-06-18, Spaarzegeltjes.nl wrote:
    >>
    >> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    >>> What hardware platform is your web server running on?
    >>>
    >>> What libraries does the program need? Are they installed on the
    >>> webserver?
    >>>
    >>> What error messages (the actual messages, not a paraphrase) do you
    >>> get?

    > [please don't top post]
    >
    >> 1: Same as my mandrive (I also tried it on a vmware debian on the same
    >> machine)

    > What are you saying?
    >
    > If you run it on a vmware Debian system on the same machine as it
    > is compiled that it works?

    No, it does not work in this situation.

    > If you run it on a remote machine it doesn't?

    It does not work on debian (even if it is vmware on the same computer)

    > What hardware is the remote system running on? What is your local
    > machine?
    >

    >> 2: None, I guess. I tried it with a simple hello world program. Failes
    >>
    >> 3: ./test
    >> Floating point exception
    >>
    >> Program:
    >>
    >> #include
    >> int main()
    >> {
    >> printf("Hello world\n\n\n");
    >> }
    >>
    >> Compile:
    >> cc -o test test.c
    >>
    >> It did work on the previous version of mandriva.

+ Reply to Thread