    seems is the three CDs it came on. Well, that I downloaded and burned.

    Any help for a newbee would be very appreciated.

  2. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    On 2007-06-16, Kpax Thwogswallow wrote:
    > Be kind. I'm a newbee. And how! The only Linux that would work on this
    > old 386 33Mhz computer was Mandrake 9. It rocks. Lousy monitor though.
    > My other machine is a .... yes. well. we won't go there.
    >
    > I want to install Firefox 2.X on it. How do I go about doing that. The
    > only update packages that this version of Linux Mandrake will accept it
    > seems is the three CDs it came on. Well, that I downloaded and burned.
    >
    > Any help for a newbee would be very appreciated.

    This may not be the kind of help you want, but might
    possibly be the kind of help you need. It might not be
    feasible to do that. There are likely to be library issues,
    including but not necessarily limited to GTK.

    There are two major versions of the: GTK1 and GTK2. If I
    understand correctly from an answer I got to a Firefox bug
    report I filed about problems with the GTK1 widgets, the
    Firefox widget code for working with GTK1 is probably not in
    Firefox 2.*. I didn't switch from HatRed to Mandrake until
    the Mandrake 10.0 era, so I don't know for certain, but it
    wouldn't surprise me if GTK2 was not available for Mandrake
    9. Do 'rpm -qa|grep libgtk' to see what you have installed.
    Look at the CDs to see what's available. _IF_ GTK1 support
    is not in Firefox 2.* and GTK2 is not in Mandrake 9, it
    would be a _major_ project to get Firefox 2.* working on
    Mandrake 9.

    On the other hand, Firefox 1.5.0.12 can be compiled to use
    GTK1, but there are some minor glitches. If you need it, I
    could post the .mozconfig file I use for that.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    "Robert M. Riches Jr." wrote in message
    > On 2007-06-16, Kpax Thwogswallow wrote:
    >> Be kind. I'm a newbee. And how! The only Linux that would work on this
    >> old 386 33Mhz computer was Mandrake 9. It rocks. Lousy monitor though.
    >> My other machine is a .... yes. well. we won't go there.
    >>
    >> I want to install Firefox 2.X on it. How do I go about doing that. The
    >> only update packages that this version of Linux Mandrake will accept it
    >> seems is the three CDs it came on. Well, that I downloaded and burned.
    >>
    >> Any help for a newbee would be very appreciated.

    > This may not be the kind of help you want, but might
    > possibly be the kind of help you need. It might not be
    > feasible to do that. There are likely to be library issues,
    > including but not necessarily limited to GTK.
    >
    > There are two major versions of the: GTK1 and GTK2. If I
    > understand correctly from an answer I got to a Firefox bug
    > report I filed about problems with the GTK1 widgets, the
    > Firefox widget code for working with GTK1 is probably not in
    > Firefox 2.*. I didn't switch from HatRed to Mandrake until
    > the Mandrake 10.0 era, so I don't know for certain, but it
    > wouldn't surprise me if GTK2 was not available for Mandrake
    > 9. Do 'rpm -qa|grep libgtk' to see what you have installed.
    > Look at the CDs to see what's available. _IF_ GTK1 support
    > is not in Firefox 2.* and GTK2 is not in Mandrake 9, it
    > would be a _major_ project to get Firefox 2.* working on
    > Mandrake 9.
    >
    > On the other hand, Firefox 1.5.0.12 can be compiled to use
    > GTK1, but there are some minor glitches. If you need it, I
    > could post the .mozconfig file I use for that.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Robert Riches
    > spamtrap42@verizon.net
    > (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

    I'm a little lost with all this. I did install in a virtual machine Ubuntu
    7.04 and Kubuntu 7.04 as well as Mandriva Spring and Linux XP OS. They're
    like KDE aren't they? Mandrake runs KDE. I thought that was required for
    Firefox. Even Firefox 1.5.0.12 would be great. Could you post it for me and
    let me know you're doing it? Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it.

  4. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    On 2007-06-17, Umma Gumma wrote:

    > I'm a little lost with all this. I did install in a virtual machine Ubuntu
    > 7.04 and Kubuntu 7.04 as well as Mandriva Spring and Linux XP OS. They're
    > like KDE aren't they? Mandrake runs KDE. I thought that was required for
    > Firefox. Even Firefox 1.5.0.12 would be great. Could you post it for me and
    > let me know you're doing it? Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it.

    Several distributions/releases in virtual machines? Wow!
    You're ahead of me in that direction, and I have been using
    Linux since 2000, *ix since about 1987.

    KDE is a (dozealike) "desktop". Gnome is another. Firefox
    runs on several different operating systems, with or without
    about any "desktop" one might want.

    The issue I cautioned you about was GTK1 vs. GTK2, graphics
    toolkits that Firefox uses for drawing buttons, rendering
    text, etc. Most modern use of Firefox uses GTK2. Because
    of some font geometry issues with GTK2 that almost nobody
    else seems to see, I'm still using GTK1 until I get dragged
    kicking and screaming to GTK2, which will probably happen
    when I have to switch to Firefox 2. If your Mandrake 9 has
    GTK2, I would advise using it.

    If you have to compile Firefox 1.5 for GTK1, firefox builds
    are considerably more complex than the familiar
    "./configure;make;make install" routine. It took me
    considerable study to figure out exactly how to compile it.
    Anyway, to compile just the Firefox 1.5 browser for GTK1, I
    use the following .mozconfig file, with "ffobjdir" as the
    object directory:

    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv cut here vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    .. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
    mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/ffobjdir
    ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O2
    ac_add_options --disable-debug
    ac_add_options --enable-static
    ac_add_options --disable-shared
    ac_add_options --disable-tests
    ac_add_options --disable-freetype2
    ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cut here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    I use the following commands, the first to compile it, and
    the second to build the installer package.

    gmake -f client.mk build

    gmake -C ffobjdir/browser/installer

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  5. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    'Cuse the top posting. Let's get to the response!

    Compile? You mean in Linux you have to compile your own programs? Whoa.
    That's like totally beyond me. But I'll try your commands, and thank you.

    As I said I think, it's an OLD box...333Mhz 386(?) with 128MBs of RAM and a
    5.2GIG HDD. When I bought it it was state of the art. That afternoon it was
    obsolete. But it still works. So I'm playing around. I found a great site
    for networking between Windows and Mandrake. I'm going to fool around with
    the instructions there. There's talk of Mandrake 10.1 being released but I
    can't find it at all so far on the net. The websites that came with the
    package I downloaded (3 CDs) sends me to a non existent site. I get a
    verizon page I think. Linuxquestions.org lists all kinds of stuff about
    Mandrake but you get sent in circles. I think Mandrake has been taken over
    my Mandriva and that won't run on this tired old machine. Windoze 98SE did a
    terrible job of recognizing hardware. Mandrake 9.0 (I was mistaken by saying
    it was 10) did an excellent job.

    You can download WMWare's virtual workstation for free, for a 30 day
    evaluation. I'm told it keeps working even after that. But I'm not currently
    running WMWare. It conflicts with my router's IP address. So the router
    doesn't work. I have it on disk somewhere. It's not a small program.
    Something like 350 MBs. They also have a WMWare Player (2.0 I think) that is
    totally free but again it conflicts with the router. What you do is download
    what they call "appliances" which is a prebuilt OP SYS. OR you can download
    an ISO and fool WMWare's Virtual Workstation to think the ISO is the CDROM
    drive from which you'd ordinarily install. Then you change it. This is all
    Windoze based, btw. My main box is a WinXP Home SP2 2.2GIG Celeron 80GIG
    HDD, .5GIG RAM.

    > On 2007-06-17, Umma Gumma wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm a little lost with all this. I did install in a virtual machine
    >> Ubuntu
    >> 7.04 and Kubuntu 7.04 as well as Mandriva Spring and Linux XP OS. They're
    >> like KDE aren't they? Mandrake runs KDE. I thought that was required for
    >> Firefox. Even Firefox 1.5.0.12 would be great. Could you post it for me
    >> and
    >> let me know you're doing it? Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it.

    > Several distributions/releases in virtual machines? Wow!
    > You're ahead of me in that direction, and I have been using
    > Linux since 2000, *ix since about 1987.
    >
    > KDE is a (dozealike) "desktop". Gnome is another. Firefox
    > runs on several different operating systems, with or without
    > about any "desktop" one might want.
    >
    > The issue I cautioned you about was GTK1 vs. GTK2, graphics
    > toolkits that Firefox uses for drawing buttons, rendering
    > text, etc. Most modern use of Firefox uses GTK2. Because
    > of some font geometry issues with GTK2 that almost nobody
    > else seems to see, I'm still using GTK1 until I get dragged
    > kicking and screaming to GTK2, which will probably happen
    > when I have to switch to Firefox 2. If your Mandrake 9 has
    > GTK2, I would advise using it.
    >
    > If you have to compile Firefox 1.5 for GTK1, firefox builds
    > are considerably more complex than the familiar
    > "./configure;make;make install" routine. It took me
    > considerable study to figure out exactly how to compile it.
    > Anyway, to compile just the Firefox 1.5 browser for GTK1, I
    > use the following .mozconfig file, with "ffobjdir" as the
    > object directory:
    >
    > vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv cut here
    > vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    > . $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
    > mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/ffobjdir
    > ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O2
    > ac_add_options --disable-debug
    > ac_add_options --enable-static
    > ac_add_options --disable-shared
    > ac_add_options --disable-tests
    > ac_add_options --disable-freetype2
    > ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cut here
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > I use the following commands, the first to compile it, and
    > the second to build the installer package.
    >
    > gmake -f client.mk build
    >
    > gmake -C ffobjdir/browser/installer
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Robert Riches
    > spamtrap42@verizon.net
    > (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  6. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    Umma Gumma wrote:
    > As I said I think, it's an OLD box...333Mhz 386(?) with 128MBs of RAM and a
    > 5.2GIG HDD.

    Before going further, check whether you have a 386 or not. If you do, Mandriva
    will not play nicely with it. Seems to me this was true for Mandrake 8.1, and
    I think it was true for versions prior to that. Mandriva demands an i586
    (Pentium). The old 486 will not cut it.

    The 128MB RAM will work fine for Mandriva up through 2006.1. It will not work
    with 2007.1.

    With total disk space of 5.2G, you need to install as little as possible to
    do what you want to do. Either KDE or Gnome desktop but not both, or better
    yet neither. There are some lightweight desktops that require little disk
    space.

    Then use care in what you add to the system, and you should come up with a
    functional machine and some room for user files.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:38:59 +0000, Umma Gumma wrote:

    > 'Cuse the top posting.

    Why? Because you are lazy?

    > Compile? You mean in Linux you have to compile your own programs? Whoa.
    > That's like totally beyond me.

    I imagine that tying your shoelaces may be "totally beyond you" also.

    Bugger off and stick with Windoze, dimwit.

  8. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    On 2007-06-17, Umma Gumma wrote:
    > 'Cuse the top posting. Let's get to the response!

    Now you'll be making life difficult for yourself if you want advice from
    Linux groups.

    > Compile? You mean in Linux you have to compile your own programs? Whoa.
    > That's like totally beyond me. But I'll try your commands, and thank you.

    You just type the command and press enter most of the time.

    Your small box is too small.

    Virtualisation with 512M is a bad idea to testing out a distro.
    Especially if you are not technical. Peripherals such as USB drives may or may not work.
    And you are already having issues with the networking.

    Yo should dual boot on you main box, OR run a live CD , or do-nothing
    IMO

    Lordy

  9. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    lordy wrote:
    > On 2007-06-17, Umma Gumma wrote:
    >
    >>'Cuse the top posting. Let's get to the response!

    > Now you'll be making life difficult for yourself if you want advice from
    > Linux groups.
    >
    >>Compile? You mean in Linux you have to compile your own programs? Whoa.
    >>That's like totally beyond me. But I'll try your commands, and thank you.

    > You just type the command and press enter most of the time.
    >
    > Your small box is too small.
    >
    > Virtualisation with 512M is a bad idea to testing out a distro.
    > Especially if you are not technical. Peripherals such as USB drives may or may not work.
    > And you are already having issues with the networking.
    >
    > Yo should dual boot on you main box, OR run a live CD , or do-nothing
    > IMO
    >
    > Lordy

    I'm going to check out dsl. The write up sounds like it's more up my
    alley. I want as little OP SYS as possible so I can use the machine
    simply for storage. It s of relatively little use to anyone else since
    it's so obsolete.

  10. Re: Mandrake Update Packages

    On 2007-06-17, Umma Gumma wrote:
    > 'Cuse the top posting. Let's get to the response!

    It just makes it more difficult to have a properly ordered
    conversation:

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: Top-posting.

    > Compile? You mean in Linux you have to compile your own programs? Whoa.
    > That's like totally beyond me. But I'll try your commands, and thank you.

    Most of the time, you don't have to compile. However, I
    think you said you wanted to run a modern Firefox on
    Mandrake 9. I had posted that Mandrake 9 might only have
    GTK1, not GTK2. Firefox 1.5 is normally compiled for GTK2,
    not for GTK1. Indications are that it might not even be
    possible to compile Firefox 2.* for GTK1. So, if Mandrake 9
    is lacking GTK2, you'll need to compile Firefox yourself for
    GTK1, simply because nobody else has compiled that
    particular combination.

    > As I said I think, it's an OLD box...333Mhz 386(?) with 128MBs of RAM and a
    > 5.2GIG HDD. When I bought it it was state of the art. That afternoon it was
    > obsolete. But it still works. So I'm playing around. I found a great site
    > for networking between Windows and Mandrake. I'm going to fool around with
    > the instructions there. There's talk of Mandrake 10.1 being released but I
    > can't find it at all so far on the net. The websites that came with the
    > package I downloaded (3 CDs) sends me to a non existent site. I get a
    > verizon page I think. Linuxquestions.org lists all kinds of stuff about
    > Mandrake but you get sent in circles. I think Mandrake has been taken over
    > my Mandriva and that won't run on this tired old machine. Windoze 98SE did a
    > terrible job of recognizing hardware. Mandrake 9.0 (I was mistaken by saying
    > it was 10) did an excellent job.

    Mandrake 10.1 and Mandriva LE2005 (what would have been
    called Mandrake 10.2) have been released and has gone EOL,
    IIRC. Mandriva 2006 and 2007 have been released, and I
    think the former might have gone EOL. Check with the web
    site for the EOL schedule. As you may be aware, Mandrake
    changed its name to Mandriva due to legal threats from a
    comic book publisher.

    As another poster said, you may have difficulty finding a
    modern distribution that runs on a 386. Mandriva now
    requires a 586/Pentium, IIRC. The small RAM size may also
    be problematic. Avoid the dozealike KDE and Gnome "desktop"
    thingies may help reduce the RAM size issue.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net