Out of /tmp space - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Out of /tmp space - Mandrake ; I had been expanding a back-up tarball into what I thought was plenty of space. Anyway, by the time I found out, it had gone into a loop. The root partition is on hde1 and this is the partition that ...

  1. Out of /tmp space

    I had been expanding a back-up tarball into what I thought was
    plenty of space. Anyway, by the time I found out, it had gone
    into a loop. The root partition is on hde1 and this is the
    partition that got jammed up (even though I was trying to do
    this on a different partition)! Maybe Mandriva buffers things
    there. Anyway using Knoppix, I found the unwanted files and
    deleted them. X would still not come up. df reports the partition
    size as 2.7GB. But scanning the contents of that partition, I
    can only find files totalling 120 Mb in size. I feel as though
    I need a command that will let me see the contents of the
    partition and reveal the free space. ls doesn't quite do it.
    Can anyone suggest any other options?

  2. Re: Out of /tmp space

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:02:44 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > deleted them. X would still not come up. df reports the partition
    > size as 2.7GB. But scanning the contents of that partition, I
    > can only find files totalling 120 Mb in size. I feel as though

    The most common cause of "hidden files", is writing to a directory
    that is normally used as a mount point, but the file system wasn't
    mounted, when writing.

    For an example. Given a directory called /mnt/windows, normally mounted
    with a fat32 filesystem on /dev/hda1 ...

    For some reason, you unmount /dev/hda1.
    A large file, such as a cd image, is written to the directory /mnt/windows.
    You reboot, and because of the entry in fstab, /dev/hda1 gets mounted.

    The file in the directory /mnt/windows is no longer visible. The only
    way to see it, is to first unmount /mnt/windows, or /dev/hda1.

    kdirstat is a good program for looking for large files, but only if
    they are visible.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Out of /tmp space

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I had been expanding a back-up tarball into what I thought was
    > plenty of space. Anyway, by the time I found out, it had gone
    > into a loop. The root partition is on hde1 and this is the
    > partition that got jammed up (even though I was trying to do
    > this on a different partition)!

    Temp files are usually written to /tmp, which is usually on
    the root partition.

    [snip]
    > can only find files totalling 120 Mb in size. I feel as though
    > I need a command that will let me see the contents of the
    > partition and reveal the free space. ls doesn't quite do it.

    "ls -alR /" would be a very hard way to do it.

    > Can anyone suggest any other options?

    "df"? "du -sch /"?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  4. Re: Out of /tmp space

    Dave

    I read your message first. I must say I like kdirstat but it dosn't help
    if you cannot get 'X' to start.

    However the tip about hidden files cracked it. Thank you.

    Peter

    I read your reply this morning. "ls -alR /" seems to look a bit like
    the 2012 Olympics logo when launched. It all flashed past at a rate
    of knots. The colour scheme baffles me a bit. I'll have to practise
    a bit more.

    "du - sch /" Just returned permission denied asgainst a number of filer
    names. Again, it looks promising. Thanks for for yur input.

    Regards

    Alan

  5. Re: Out of /tmp space

    On 2007-06-12, Alan Secker wrote:
    > Dave
    >
    > I read your message first. I must say I like kdirstat but it dosn't help
    > if you cannot get 'X' to start.
    >
    > However the tip about hidden files cracked it. Thank you.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > I read your reply this morning. "ls -alR /" seems to look a bit like
    > the 2012 Olympics logo when launched. It all flashed past at a rate
    > of knots. The colour scheme baffles me a bit. I'll have to practise
    > a bit more.

    Then, pipe the output to more, less, most, or some other
    pager:

    ls -alR / | more

    > "du - sch /" Just returned permission denied asgainst a number of filer
    > names. Again, it looks promising. Thanks for for yur input.

    If you run it as root, you shouldn't nearly as many (should
    be none at all) permission denied errors.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  6. Re: Out of /tmp space

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 05:05:16 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > However the tip about hidden files cracked it. Thank you.

    You're welcome. That's one I learned the hard way, and only found
    when I booted from a cd, so the filesystem wasn't auto mounted.

    Since then, I delete /mnt, and use /var/mnt instead.

    From /etc/fstab ...
    /dev/LV5/mnt /var/mnt/2007.0/var/mnt ext2 defaults 0 0

    From df ...
    /dev/mapper/LV2-mnt 4.0M 113K 3.7M 3% /var/mnt

    4M is the smallest logical volume allowed under lvm, with the
    default physical volume settings.

    If I copy anything large to an unmounted filesystem (except
    /var/mnt itself), it will fill the small filesystem very
    quickly.

    Every directory under /var/mnt has one file such as ...
    $ ll /var/mnt/floppy
    total 0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 4 19:17 No.floppy.mounted

    Again, making it obvious, if the filesystem is not mounted.

    Having /boot, /home, /opt, /tmp, /usr, /var, /var/log and /var/mnt,
    each on a separate filsystem reduces the chance of accidently
    filling the / filesystem. Using logical volumes, instead of
    regular partitions for most of them, makes it easy to change the
    space allocations, when needed, without having to move any existing
    data.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Out of /tmp space

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Dave
    >
    > I read your message first. I must say I like kdirstat but it dosn't help
    > if you cannot get 'X' to start.
    >
    > However the tip about hidden files cracked it. Thank you.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > I read your reply this morning. "ls -alR /" seems to look a bit like
    > the 2012 Olympics logo when launched. It all flashed past at a rate
    > of knots. The colour scheme baffles me a bit. I'll have to practise
    > a bit more.

    I did write that it was the hard way. ;-)

    > "du - sch /" Just returned permission denied asgainst a number of filer
    > names. Again, it looks promising. Thanks for for yur input.

    If you have never seen a manual page try;
    man man
    then
    man ls
    man df