SOLVED - Slow tape access with TAR on a Proliant D140G2 + USB DAT72 drive - Mandrake

This is a discussion on SOLVED - Slow tape access with TAR on a Proliant D140G2 + USB DAT72 drive - Mandrake ; Hi all, Just in case, I solved a problem with tar being slooooooow reading any tape on a HP Proliant 140 G2 with an external USB DAT72 tape drive. According to "lsusb -v", my tape drive was using 512 bytes ...

  1. SOLVED - Slow tape access with TAR on a Proliant D140G2 + USB DAT72 drive

    Hi all,

    Just in case, I solved a problem with tar being slooooooow reading any tape
    on a HP Proliant 140 G2 with an external USB DAT72 tape drive. According to
    "lsusb -v", my tape drive was using 512 bytes packet size max. I just had to
    add the "-b 1" option to tar. Transfer rate went from 100kB/s to 1,5MB/s,
    which is a bit slow but largely enough for what I have to do.

    Hope this help...

  2. Re: SOLVED - Slow tape access with TAR on a Proliant D140G2 + USB DAT72 drive

    Oops, I just did forget : this is for Mandriva 2006.0, 2007.0 and 2007.1.
    Don't know for other distribs, but this seems generic to me.

+ Reply to Thread