kernel types - Mandrake

This is a discussion on kernel types - Mandrake ; I am useing kernel-2.6.17.5mdv. I am considering useing kernel-multimedia-desktop-2.6.17.14-6mdv - Linux kernel for desktop. I am wondering if anybody could tell me the advantages of these 2 kernels?...

  1. kernel types

    I am useing kernel-2.6.17.5mdv. I am considering useing
    kernel-multimedia-desktop-2.6.17.14-6mdv - Linux kernel for desktop.
    I am wondering if anybody could tell me the advantages of these 2 kernels?

  2. Re: kernel types

    Quoth croaker :

    > I am useing kernel-2.6.17.5mdv. I am considering useing
    > kernel-multimedia-desktop-2.6.17.14-6mdv - Linux kernel for desktop.
    > I am wondering if anybody could tell me the advantages of these 2
    > kernels?

    Mandriva's "multimedia" is the "low latency" configured kernel.

    F'rinstance, if you want to effectively use jackd/ardour/etc... you'll want
    to run the multimedia kernel. You won't get a professional recording
    studio (realtime) but depending upon your hardware you'll get "close
    enough for government work".

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.