Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake - Mandrake ; On 2007-06-06, Adam wrote: > >> Everything prior to the 22nd, eh? ;-) >> >> I have Pan set to expire articles older than two weeks. Sounds like you >> have Knode set the same. > > > OK. So ...

  1. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On 2007-06-06, Adam wrote:

    >> Everything prior to the 22nd, eh? ;-)
    >>
    >> I have Pan set to expire articles older than two weeks. Sounds like you
    >> have Knode set the same.

    > OK. So no conspiracy then. Just many content Mandriva users!

    Don't you mean Mandrake users? 1/2 :-)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  2. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Adam wrote:

    >Well - suddenly (a shorttime ago) the whole list of
    >messages and followups on this NG has disappeared
    >from my view. All that is left is;
    >
    >5 on Statistics
    >unable to read superblock (interesting)
    >2 on Re: MAndriva 2006
    >how to remove softlink ..
    >Inventor of ctrl-Alt-Del ..
    >Solved ..
    >
    >11 in total.

    Hmmm...

    [compton ~]$ grep ^06 newslog | grep drake | grep killed | awk '{ print
    $1,$3,$4,$5,$6 }'
    06/01/2007 alt.os.linux.mandrake: 0/0 (0 killed),
    06/02/2007 alt.os.linux.mandrake: 4/4 (2 killed),
    06/03/2007 alt.os.linux.mandrake: 1/1 (1 killed),
    06/04/2007 alt.os.linux.mandrake: 1/1 (0 killed),
    06/05/2007 alt.os.linux.mandrake: 0/0 (0 killed),
    06/06/2007 alt.os.linux.mandrake: 7/7 (1 killed),
    [compton ~]$

    11 articles are like the last five days or so. I don't know what your
    news server looks like, but there are two places to look: What your
    news reader is remembering as not read (in my case, my news reader said
    this when I started)

    6 alt.os.linux.mandrake

    and what's on your news server. Firing up a separate tool that doesn't
    look at my news reader, I find

    205775 alt.os.linux.mandrake

    about 205 thousand articles available. As this group _was_ seeing about
    50k articles a year before 'alt.os.linux.mandriva', that's about five
    years worth of articles.

    >So what's happened here ? Have the older messages
    >just 'timed out' - or has some kind of washing occurred ?

    A guess - you are mistaking what your news _reader_ is reporting that
    you haven't seen verses, what's available on your news server.

    I don't use KDE (I'm not a windoze person), so I don't know what you
    may have clicked on, but look at the man page, and you should find an
    indication of a file (almost certainly in your home directory) that
    notes what articles you've seen, and what groups you are subscribed to.
    This is likely a 'dot-file' (name begins with a period), and might be
    something like ~/.newsrc. One news reader I'm using to read this
    group shows me

    [compton ~]$ grep drake .jnewsrc
    alt.os.linux.mandrake: 1-668375
    [compton ~]$

    Were I to reset that number to essentially zero, and then connect to the
    news server, the news reader would offer to show me every article that
    the server has in this group. No, I don't need to look at 205000 articles.

    If you look at the full headers on your reader, the last one is usually
    the 'Xref:' header, put there by your news server. In my case, the
    article I'm responding to has

    so this is the 668,378th article that giganews has seen posted to the
    newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake since it has been carrying the group.
    It is this article number that your news _reader_ keeps track of to
    know if you've seen an article. This header is unique to each news
    server - the server actually differentiates articles based on the
    "Message-ID" header which RFC3977 (replaces RFC0977) Appendix A.2.
    specifies as being globally unique (and this not easy to keep track
    of on a mere news reader - to see why, look at the "References:' header
    to this post).

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 181663 Oct 3 2002 Usenet-News-HOWTO

    That HOWTO is more aimed at setting up a news server, but it contains a
    lot of information about how news works.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Moe Trin wrote:

    [as above] [snip].

    Very interesting reply - many thanks.

    It also raises the issue of alternate newsreaders.

    Will take me some time to chew through, which I'll
    enjoy doing. Thanks once again.

  4. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    And no Mandriva group can be seen on my
    refreshed newsgroup list. Hmmm.

    I'll have a go at having that corrected, updated,
    included, when time permits.

  5. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Adam wrote:

    >Very interesting reply - many thanks.

    You're welcome

    >It also raises the issue of alternate newsreaders.

    I use several news readers - and have to be aware that they are reading
    from different configuration/data files. The older ones tend to use a
    ..newsrc file, but some (like slrn that I'm using here) use .jnewsrc.
    And just to frustrate me slightly more, the files are in different
    formats. At one time, I created a script to compare the files of the
    different readers, and update the one I use least to the article
    numbers of my normal reader. Now, I usually just manually enter the
    data, as I use the other readers much less often.

    In your post of 11:34:19 +1200, you write:

    >And no Mandriva group can be seen on my
    >refreshed newsgroup list. Hmmm.

    On the 15th of each month, there is a posting to the newsgroups
    news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc with a subject
    of "List of Big Eight Newsgroups". This lists the 2280 "sanctioned"
    news groups in the "big eight" hierarchy (comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*,
    news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, and talk.*) with descriptions. Many servers
    carry additional groups (often called "bogus" groups) in those eight
    hierarchies - giganews has 4634. BEYOND that, there are dozens of
    other hierarchies, such as 'alt.*' that are carried at the whim of the
    news admin. Sometimes, this is a Dick-Size-War, with some servers
    claiming to carry more news groups than any one else. Generally, this
    means more _useless_ groups than any one else. As of this morning,
    the server I'm reading from _lists_ 107113 groups, though how many are
    active is anyone's guess. You can _ask_ your news admin to carry the
    group. If it helps, I'm showing the following totals:

    2H04 1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07
    a.o.l.mandrake 25698 27063 16388 7516 5067 1259
    a.o.l.mandriva 3181 7579 8254 5287

    That's up to 15:00 UTC on 6 June 2007.

    >I'll have a go at having that corrected, updated, included, when
    >time permits.

    These totals may help - giganews started carrying the group about a
    month after it was created.

    Old guy

  6. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > If it helps, I'm showing the following totals:
    >
    > 2H04 1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07
    > a.o.l.mandrake 25698 27063 16388 7516 5067 1259
    > a.o.l.mandriva 3181 7579 8254 5287
    >
    > That's up to 15:00 UTC on 6 June 2007.

    [I've been posting in a.o.l.mandriva and elsewhere as Adam, but I see
    someone else using that name here. So:]

    I can understand the number of posts in a.o.l.mandrake going down as
    users switch from Mandrake to Mandriva and a.o.l.mandriva. I'm a little
    concerned that a.o.l.mandriva isn't increasing proportionately, and that
    the total number of posts to both groups is decreasing.

    Here are some possible reasons for the decline. Anyone want to
    speculate on which ones are correct?

    1) People are switching to some other distribution instead of
    Mandrake/Mandriva.
    2) People are tired of Usenet and are either posting to web-based
    message boards instead or not posting at all.
    3) Mandriva is so easy to use that there's less need to ask questions.
    4) Usenet readership overall is declining. (How do numbers for other
    newsgroups compare?)
    5) ???

    Any ideas, anybody?

    Another Adam

  7. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    > Any ideas, anybody?
    >
    > Another Adam

    Well, you got me.

    I discounted the conspiracy thing. And noted that
    a.o.l.mandriva is not amongst my feeds just now.

    Perplexing a little, isn't it?

    I just love these guys here - its a great place.
    Whereas I shan't mention the small list of noisy,
    unhelpful or abusive newsgroups - of which there
    are a few.

    Adam.

  8. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 18:30:09 -0400, Another Adam wrote:

    > I can understand the number of posts in a.o.l.mandrake going down as
    > users switch from Mandrake to Mandriva and a.o.l.mandriva. I'm a little
    > concerned that a.o.l.mandriva isn't increasing proportionately, and that
    > the total number of posts to both groups is decreasing.
    >
    > Here are some possible reasons for the decline. Anyone want to
    > speculate on which ones are correct?
    >
    > 1) People are switching to some other distribution instead of
    > Mandrake/Mandriva.

    No doubt this is true. Mandr*'s business practices and sloppy work on the
    distro since the name change have driven folks off. Also due to the
    amazing rise in popularity of Ubuntu.

    > 2) People are tired of Usenet and are either posting to web-based
    > message boards instead or not posting at all.

    Probably some truth there. Most noobs have never heard of Usenet, and
    will never use it. Forums/boards are all they know.

    > 3) Mandriva is so easy to use that there's less need to ask questions.

    Don't think it's any easier than it ever was. Maybe some, but not enough
    to make much difference.

    > 4) Usenet readership overall is declining. (How do numbers for other
    > newsgroups compare?)

    Certainly true. See #2 above. I've seen some decrease in other NG's,
    although some others have remained as active as ever.

    > 5) ???

    Many of the biggest blabber-mouths of recent years appear to have left the
    NG. These include names like: Aragorn, James J. Dines, and "matt left
    coast". Those three alone accounted for probably half the traffic on the
    Mandr* newsgroups and it's nice that they're gone, IMHO.

  9. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    <136jli44m01gtb5@corp.supernews.com>, Another Adam wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> 2H04 1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07

    > a.o.l.mandrake 25698 27063 16388 7516 5067 1259
    > a.o.l.mandriva 3181 7579 8254 5287
    >
    > That's up to 15:00 UTC on 6 June 2007.
    >
    >[I've been posting in a.o.l.mandriva and elsewhere as Adam, but I see
    >someone else using that name here. So:]

    Adam
    Adam

    pretty easy to spot the difference

    >I can understand the number of posts in a.o.l.mandrake going down as
    >users switch from Mandrake to Mandriva and a.o.l.mandriva. I'm a little
    >concerned that a.o.l.mandriva isn't increasing proportionately, and that
    >the total number of posts to both groups is decreasing.

    OK

    >1) People are switching to some other distribution instead of
    >Mandrake/Mandriva.

    Distribution preferences certainly do change. You don't see many people
    using Yggdrasil, SLS, or MCC distributions any more. Red Hat used to be
    the dominant distribution between roughly 1996 and 2003 (Mandrake
    started as a clone of RH with KDE in 1998). Slackware, SuSE and Debian
    were also key players. But let's see what the logs say:

    Distro groups 2H04 1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07
    Mandr* 2 25698 27063 19569 15095 13321 6546
    Redhat 6 9922 8336 5339 4940 3323 2203
    SuSE 2 - 20799 20096 17002 15209 7263
    Ununtu 1 460 2334 4862 11915

    I wasn't following the SuSE group in 2004, and the Ubuntu group started
    in late 2005. Debian really doesn't use newsgroups that much, and I
    dropped the Slackware groups because most of the posts were useless noise
    by s00per el33t h4x0r d00ds who prefer to insult new posters rather than
    make ANY attempt to help (regrettable, because the distribution is pretty
    good). But the proliferation of distributions (and subsequent increase
    in the number of alt.os.linux.* groups - giganews has 45+, 20 of which
    are semi-legit and 8 are distributions like Caldera, Corel, Storm, and
    TurboLinux that no longer exist) isn't helping.

    >2) People are tired of Usenet and are either posting to web-based
    >message boards instead or not posting at all.

    This has some merit as a reason. News servers are adding "groups" that
    are mirrors of mailing list, blogs, and semi-private groups. Giganews
    added some 210 new groups to their offering in the past ten days,
    bringing the number to 679 so far this year (for a grand total of
    107124). Ignoring the 327 'uw.*' groups (basically local groups from
    uwash.edu). I see what looks to be about 70 binary groups, perhaps 100
    semi-private groups, and the rest look like blog mirrors. None looked
    at all interesting to me. YMMV.

    Blogs seem to be the current rage. Part of it is local language support.
    The "LJ Index" column for July 2007 (in that Linux Journal issue)
    forwards a report from Technorati saying that the top four languages
    used are Japanese, English, Chinese, and Italian. Another factor is the
    ease that blogs can be created (whether anyone _reads_ them is completely
    irrelevant). Minor problem with blogs is that a lot of them are nothing
    but spam. Another problem is finding the d4mn things. A search engine
    like google will help here, but a lot of people haven't figured out how
    to use a search engine efficiently.

    >3) Mandriva is so easy to use that there's less need to ask questions.

    Uhuh.

    >4) Usenet readership overall is declining. (How do numbers for other
    >newsgroups compare?)

    2H04 1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07
    c.o.l.hardware 4511 4211 3019 3410 3323 2239
    c.o.l.misc 15349 15236 18409 18265 14150 11016
    c.o.l.networking 6072 7717 5179 4716 4110 2615
    c.o.l.security 2253 2289 1901 1549 1463 670
    c.o.l.setup 4479 4586 4263 3467 2669 1863
    alt.linux 3163 2920 2643 2271 1303 1019
    alt.os.linux 10018 8834 8668 5084 4674 5114

    Again, these figures are up to 15:00 UTC on 6 June 2007. I think this
    is probably the major factor, as I'm seeing similar reductions in
    article numbers in the non-computer related groups I try to follow. If
    you scan posts in 'news.announce.newgroups' (or the recently created
    'news.groups.proposals'), you'll see (mainly moderated) groups being
    proposed for removal from the sanctioned 'Big Eight' hierarchies,
    mainly for inactivity. On the 15th of each month, there is a posting to
    news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc with the
    subject "List of Big Eight Newsgroups". Last month, it listed just 2280
    groups in the comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*,
    soc.*, and talk.* hierarchies, which is down roughly a hundred from
    January. (giganews carries those, and 2350 unsanctioned groups in those
    hierarchies, such as 'comp.os.linux.admin' or 'comp.os.linux.help' that
    were renamed or replaced back in December 1993.)

    Old guy

  10. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:51:55 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:

    > I dropped the Slackware groups because most of the posts were useless
    > noise by s00per el33t h4x0r d00ds who prefer to insult new posters
    > rather than make ANY attempt to help (regrettable, because the
    > distribution is pretty good).

    Wuss.

  11. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Adam wrote:
    > I discounted the conspiracy thing. And noted that
    > a.o.l.mandriva is not amongst my feeds just now.
    >
    > Perplexing a little, isn't it?
    >
    > I just love these guys here - its a great place.
    > Whereas I shan't mention the small list of noisy,
    > unhelpful or abusive newsgroups - of which there
    > are a few.

    From my point of view, a.o.l.mandrake has slowed down to almost
    nothing, and once this thread is over, and I deal with all the messages
    in it that I marked as "might come in handy some day," I'll probably
    unsubscribe from a.o.l.mandrake and just stick with a.o.l.mandriva. I
    started a.o.l.mandriva's current thread "Broadband Security" (I'm
    switching ISPs and from dialup to DSL), and the folks there have been
    incredibly helpful.

    I think you're being polite when you say that there are a few "noisy,
    unhelpful, or abusive newsgroups." There are a LOT more than a few. I
    think that's one reason why Usenet readership has been falling.

    Another Adam

  12. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Dan C wrote:
    >> Here are some possible reasons for the decline. Anyone want to
    >> speculate on which ones are correct?
    >>
    >> 1) People are switching to some other distribution instead of
    >> Mandrake/Mandriva.

    > No doubt this is true. Mandr*'s business practices and sloppy work on the
    > distro since the name change have driven folks off. Also due to the
    > amazing rise in popularity of Ubuntu.

    I looked at distrowatch's "hits per day" list, and Ubuntu is in the
    lead, over 40% ahead of the #2 distro. Mandriva is down to #8. Why is
    Ubuntu suddenly so popular?

    >> 2) People are tired of Usenet and are either posting to web-based
    >> message boards instead or not posting at all.

    > Probably some truth there. Most noobs have never heard of Usenet, and
    > will never use it. Forums/boards are all they know.

    That, and also I think some have given up on Usenet after encountering
    an unfriendly newsgroup. I also think there's a sort of attitude out
    there that "Usenet is for geeks," because it means learning to use a new
    program (newsreader).

    >> 4) Usenet readership overall is declining. (How do numbers for other
    >> newsgroups compare?)

    > Certainly true. See #2 above. I've seen some decrease in other NG's,
    > although some others have remained as active as ever.

    Also see #2 above. There's one non-computer-related NG that I've been
    in since it was created by a split around 1996, and I think that, on the
    whole, traffic in it is definitely down.

    I've also found several web sites that basically are just GUI front ends
    for particular NGs. Some sites even try to give the impression that
    it's *their* message board. I've found my posts on web pages that I
    didn't even know existed.

    Another Adam

  13. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Moe Trin wrote:
    >> 1) People are switching to some other distribution instead of
    >> Mandrake/Mandriva.

    > Distribution preferences certainly do change. You don't see many people
    > using Yggdrasil, SLS, or MCC distributions any more. Red Hat used to be
    > the dominant distribution between roughly 1996 and 2003 (Mandrake
    > started as a clone of RH with KDE in 1998). Slackware, SuSE and Debian
    > were also key players. But let's see what the logs say:
    >
    > Distro groups 2H04 1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07
    > Mandr* 2 25698 27063 19569 15095 13321 6546
    > Redhat 6 9922 8336 5339 4940 3323 2203
    > SuSE 2 - 20799 20096 17002 15209 7263
    > Ubuntu 1 460 2334 4862 11915

    That's interesting. Readership in all of those has been dropping,
    except for Ubuntu which has REALLY taken off. Do you think that's due
    to Ubuntu's quality, or ease of use, or their marketing, or what? At
    the last LUG meeting, they were giving out Ubuntu "Feisty Fawn" CDs, and
    I may even install it on an unused partition to see what all the hoopla
    is about.

    >> 2) People are tired of Usenet and are either posting to web-based
    >> message boards instead or not posting at all.

    > This has some merit as a reason. News servers are adding "groups" that
    > are mirrors of mailing list, blogs, and semi-private groups.

    I think that some people have left Usenet due to unpleasantness in
    various NGs. Also, I think that NGs have a bit of a reputation as
    "geeky" because you can't access them with your web browser but actually
    have to learn a new program.

    There are web-based boards that are actually mirrors of NGs. Some of
    those web sites try to give the impression that it's their own "message
    board."

    >> 4) Usenet readership overall is declining. (How do numbers for other
    >> newsgroups compare?)

    > 2H04 1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07
    > c.o.l.hardware 4511 4211 3019 3410 3323 2239
    > c.o.l.misc 15349 15236 18409 18265 14150 11016
    > c.o.l.networking 6072 7717 5179 4716 4110 2615
    > c.o.l.security 2253 2289 1901 1549 1463 670
    > c.o.l.setup 4479 4586 4263 3467 2669 1863
    > alt.linux 3163 2920 2643 2271 1303 1019
    > alt.os.linux 10018 8834 8668 5084 4674 5114
    >
    > Again, these figures are up to 15:00 UTC on 6 June 2007. I think this
    > is probably the major factor, as I'm seeing similar reductions in
    > article numbers in the non-computer related groups I try to follow.

    ALL of those seem to be declining overall. I think we may just have to
    accept that Usenet is becoming less popular. Of course, as Linux users
    we are already used to being in a minority, and we are used to working
    with things that might be considered "too geeky" by many.

    Back in 1987 there was a major flame war about one of the university's
    message boards, and the articles about it had a hard time just trying to
    explain to the general public what a message board was.

    Another Adam

  14. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Another Adam wrote:

    [ snip ]

    > I think you're being polite when you say that there are a few "noisy,
    > unhelpful, or abusive newsgroups." There are a LOT more than a few. I
    > think that's one reason why Usenet readership has been falling.

    That strikes me as a little counter-intuitive.

    Like, some noise applies to ALL groups, and
    some groups attract HIGH noise. Readers are
    attracted to SUBJECTS or specific-groups, first
    and foremost surely.

    So its still perplexing why a.o.l.mandrake may
    be drying up - apart from the possible and incomplete
    migration to a.o.l.mandriva, where available.

    Yes, polite or naive, well-spotted. I do persist
    with some NGs, but am less tempted to post or get
    too involved with them - perhaps that's a pity.

    Adam.

  15. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:42:58 -0400, Another Adam wrote:

    >>> 1) People are switching to some other distribution instead of
    >>> Mandrake/Mandriva.

    >> No doubt this is true. Mandr*'s business practices and sloppy work on the
    >> distro since the name change have driven folks off. Also due to the
    >> amazing rise in popularity of Ubuntu.

    > I looked at distrowatch's "hits per day" list, and Ubuntu is in the
    > lead, over 40% ahead of the #2 distro. Mandriva is down to #8. Why is
    > Ubuntu suddenly so popular?

    It's not really so "sudden", been happening for a couple of years... I
    think Ubuntu is popular because they've "dumbed down" most things to where
    the drooling Win-droids can manage things. Most things just
    work, right out of the box. Personally I'm not sure that's such a good
    thing, to be honest.

  16. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:49:08 -0400, Adam wrote:

    > So its still perplexing why a.o.l.mandrake may
    > be drying up - apart from the possible and incomplete
    > migration to a.o.l.mandriva, where available.

    If your regular newsfeed doensn't include a.o.l.mandriva, and won't
    add it, just register for a free account at a feed like
    http://www.motzarella.org/

    The newsfeed my isp uses is uunet, and messages posted through
    them do not propagate. Their "support" doesn't seem to exist,
    so I'm using leafnode to post via motzarella, and get messages
    from both uunet, and motzarella.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Adam wrote:
    > Another Adam wrote:

    Jeez, how many Adams *are* there in here?

    --
    The First Adam

  18. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Dan C wrote:

    >>> No doubt this is true. Mandr*'s business practices and sloppy work on
    >>> the
    >>> distro since the name change have driven folks off. Also due to the
    >>> amazing rise in popularity of Ubuntu.

    >> I looked at distrowatch's "hits per day" list, and Ubuntu is in the
    >> lead, over 40% ahead of the #2 distro. Mandriva is down to #8. Why is
    >> Ubuntu suddenly so popular?

    > It's not really so "sudden", been happening for a couple of years... I
    > think Ubuntu is popular because they've "dumbed down" most things to where
    > the drooling Win-droids can manage things. Most things just
    > work, right out of the box. Personally I'm not sure that's such a good
    > thing, to be honest.

    I think it's actually a /very/ good thing. Joe Sixpack can now buy his Dell
    preloaded with Ubuntu - it "just works" and doesn't take much effort to
    keep it going. /Anything/ that gets the clueless masses away from the
    clutches of Microsoft has /got/ to be good!

    C.

  19. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Thanks David. Understood.

  20. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Another Adam wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >>> Here are some possible reasons for the decline. Anyone want to
    >>> speculate on which ones are correct?
    >>>
    >>> 1) People are switching to some other distribution instead of
    >>> Mandrake/Mandriva.

    >> No doubt this is true. Mandr*'s business practices and sloppy work on
    >> the
    >> distro since the name change have driven folks off. Also due to the
    >> amazing rise in popularity of Ubuntu.

    > I looked at distrowatch's "hits per day" list, and Ubuntu is in the
    > lead, over 40% ahead of the #2 distro. Mandriva is down to #8. Why is
    > Ubuntu suddenly so popular?

    I read the British "Personal Computer World" magazine. It doesn't
    contain much about Linux, but what there has been over the last six
    months or so has used Ubuntu for examples/illustrations.