unable to read superblock - Mandrake

This is a discussion on unable to read superblock - Mandrake ; alp wrote: > Problem Solved. > > Almost exactly what I did. > I used maxblast 5. Put in an old HD. Saved what I could (it makes an > xxx.tib file which is unreadable to me). Then I read ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: unable to read superblock

    alp wrote:

    > Problem Solved.
    >
    > Almost exactly what I did.
    > I used maxblast 5. Put in an old HD. Saved what I could (it makes an
    > xxx.tib file which is unreadable to me). Then I read some docs on
    > superblock and data recovery. After failing to get it to mount with an
    > alternate superblock I decided to try fsck.ext2 -b 32678 and hit return.
    > I had to type "y" a large number of time hoping each time that I wasn't
    > making the problem worse.
    > Finally I gave up and just held the "y" key down. All or nothing.

    There is a "-y" option for fsck which will do similar things.

    > My mandrake partition is now up and running. I may never find out if
    > everything survived, but I think it did.

    You have to consider your harddrive may quit working the other day. As soon
    as bad sectors show to the surface of the OS, the spare sectors all are
    already used up, meaning your drive is on its way out. Do the backups. NOW.
    Also remember, bad sector detection with successful remapping can be done
    only when the drive electronics detects failed attempts to write to a
    distinct place. Read failures may cause retries until either success or
    fail/hang/timeout is achieved. DMA will be turned off by the linux kernel
    as well, and you notice a siginficant slowdown with high cpu utilization
    during disk activity. Since some binaries may already be damaged causing
    mysterious failures later on, you should only backup important files,
    the /etc, /usr/local hierarchies and of course /home, and prefer a fresh
    install on the new drive.

  2. Re: unable to read superblock

    Yes, I have tried Knoppix on CD a few years ago. Wonderful little package. I
    have had a few years on Linux now but I have by no means come close to where
    I should be in terms of system know how.

    As a result, I had a problem with Knoppix, it would not let me write things
    on the harddrive. Some sort of password was needed. I gave up.
    I think I would have tried to have used the root password. If not root and
    user passwords.
    Maybe with a hint I could try again ...

    Alp

    "Robert.Spilleboudt " wrote in
    message news:463A4573.7050903@skynet.be...
    > Can you get a live cd with a bootable linux, like Knoppix.
    > You can look at your partitions. If they are readable, you can save a
    > lot of data.
    > Robert
    >

    > Alp wrote:
    > > I booted up my linux mandrake 10.1 system this morning.
    > > I left it at the login window for a few minutes as I was busy.
    > > After I finally did enter my login password (graphical login window) the
    > > system responded strangely, text scrolled by the same thing kept

    scrolling
    > > and scrolling.
    > > I tried to stop it using various key presses but nothing would.
    > >
    > > I hit the reset button.
    > > I tried to login again.
    > > At first the system didn't see the hard drive.
    > > I tried a few more times (I entered bios and tried to make it see the

    hard
    > > drive) finally it booted to lilo.
    > > I chose linux.
    > > Then I got "EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock" partway into the boot
    > > process.
    > > I tried failsafe, same thing.
    > >
    > > There are several error messages, mount: error 22 mounting ext2.
    > > hda: dma_intr: error = 0x40 {uncorrectableError } LBAsect=97418226
    > > pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
    > >
    > > There is more.
    > >
    > > Question:
    > > Is there some way for somebody who knows little about linux to repair

    the
    > > problem (maybe using the install disk) so that all my emails, schedules,
    > > browser bookmarks, (user data ) does not get erased?
    > > I read somewhere that if I am able to type in fsck /dev/hdan (where n is

    the
    > > partition number) then this might help.
    > > If you guessed I do not know what partition number to type you would be
    > > correct.
    > >
    > > What can I do?
    > >
    > > Help appreciated
    > >
    > > Alp

  3. Re: unable to read superblock

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 13:20:33 -0400, Alp wrote:

    > As a result, I had a problem with Knoppix, it would not let me write things
    > on the harddrive. Some sort of password was needed. I gave up.
    > I think I would have tried to have used the root password. If not root and
    > user passwords.
    > Maybe with a hint I could try again ...

    With Knoppix, before you mount a filesystem, right click on the icon,
    and unselect the read-only setting. Then when you click on the icon to
    mount the filesystem, it will mount as writable.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: unable to read superblock

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 13:20:33 -0400, Alp wrote:
    >
    >> As a result, I had a problem with Knoppix, it would not let me write
    >> things on the harddrive. Some sort of password was needed. I gave up.
    >> I think I would have tried to have used the root password. If not root
    >> and user passwords.
    >> Maybe with a hint I could try again ...

    > With Knoppix, before you mount a filesystem, right click on the icon,
    > and unselect the read-only setting. Then when you click on the icon to
    > mount the filesystem, it will mount as writable.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Words of wisdom.
    I will store this info for later use.

    BTW, the reason I needed knoppix in the first place has been remedied.

    Thank you.

    Alp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2