cups weirdness - Mandrake

This is a discussion on cups weirdness - Mandrake ; I have a problem with a shared printer that I'd like to solve. The printer is a HP laserjet, shred on my network using cups. When I print to it remotely, it takes a long time(5-6 minutes) to "wake up". ...

  1. cups weirdness

    I have a problem with a shared printer that I'd like to solve.

    The printer is a HP laserjet, shred on my network using cups.

    When I print to it remotely, it takes a long time(5-6 minutes) to "wake
    up". It prints fine when it does finally print, but it will not start
    when the printing ends on my screen. If I go to the printer and print a
    test page using the controls on the printer front panel, it will print
    the test page, then the printout I expected, immediately after the test
    page, but if I do not wake it up manually, it will not print for at
    least five minutes, and sometimes as long as a few hours. Eventually,
    everything comes out ... often double copies as I end up reprinting it
    thinking it did not work.

    The printer is on a standard parallel interface. It does have an
    ethernet interface which I have never tried.

    OS is Mandriva 2007, spring edition, but the problem existed in the
    first 2007 as well. I did an upgrade to the spring edition (which went
    fine, but did not cure the problem).

    Donald

  2. Re: cups weirdness

    donald tees wrote:

    > I have a problem with a shared printer that I'd like to solve.
    >
    > The printer is a HP laserjet, shred on my network using cups.
    >
    > When I print to it remotely, it takes a long time(5-6 minutes) to "wake
    > up". It prints fine when it does finally print, but it will not start
    > when the printing ends on my screen. If I go to the printer and print a
    > test page using the controls on the printer front panel, it will print
    > the test page, then the printout I expected, immediately after the test
    > page, but if I do not wake it up manually, it will not print for at
    > least five minutes, and sometimes as long as a few hours. Eventually,
    > everything comes out ... often double copies as I end up reprinting it
    > thinking it did not work.
    >
    > The printer is on a standard parallel interface. It does have an
    > ethernet interface which I have never tried.
    >
    > OS is Mandriva 2007, spring edition, but the problem existed in the
    > first 2007 as well. I did an upgrade to the spring edition (which went
    > fine, but did not cure the problem).
    >
    > Donald

    I would definitely try the ethernet connection and reinstall from
    your machine. If nothing else, it will give you a comparison.

    Alan

  3. Re: cups weirdness

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > donald tees wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem with a shared printer that I'd like to solve.
    >>

    > I would definitely try the ethernet connection and reinstall from
    > your machine. If nothing else, it will give you a comparison.
    >
    > Alan

    I would have done that, but I am out of space on my hub. Perhaps it is
    time to get a new one.

    Donald

  4. Re: cups weirdness

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 18:26:07 -0400, donald tees wrote:

    > I have a problem with a shared printer that I'd like to solve.
    > The printer is on a standard parallel interface. It does have an
    > ethernet interface which I have never tried.

    By default, the kernel module parport_pc will use polling to comunicate
    with devices. Try adding the line to /etc/modprobe.conf to use interupts
    when printing ...
    options parport_pc irq=7 dma=3 io=0x378
    with the correct options for the specified parralel port. The
    above are standard for the first parralel port.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: cups weirdness

    donald tees wrote:

    > When I print to it remotely, it takes a long time(5-6 minutes) to "wake
    > up". It prints fine when it does finally print, but it will not start
    > when the printing ends on my screen.

    As a long shot..

    I had a similar problem once. In my case my /etc/hosts file somehow got
    some strange entries in it.

    Normally I only have: localhost 127.0.0.1 in the file, but one
    time after installing Mandriva and configuring my network, something
    put several strange entries (like 10.10.10.0) in /etc/hosts...

    Cups was trying to connect to each line in the /hosts file and it took
    a while to time out on the bogus entries so the printing took about 5 minutes
    to start.

    Like I say.. Just a long shot.. But worth checking

  6. Re: cups weirdness

    donald tees wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> donald tees wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a problem with a shared printer that I'd like to solve.
    >>>

    > > I would definitely try the ethernet connection and reinstall from
    >> your machine. If nothing else, it will give you a comparison.
    >>
    >> Alan

    > I would have done that, but I am out of space on my hub. Perhaps it is
    > time to get a new one.
    >
    > Donald

    Chaining another to the one you already have should be enough : not
    necessary to purchase a bigger with more plugs.
    It's definitely worth trying; don't forget to update /etc/hosts.
    al.

  7. Re: cups weirdness

    al wrote:
    > donald tees wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:

    >> > I would definitely try the ethernet connection and reinstall from
    >>> your machine. If nothing else, it will give you a comparison.
    >>>
    >>> Alan

    >> I would have done that, but I am out of space on my hub. Perhaps it is
    >> time to get a new one.
    >>
    >> Donald

    > Chaining another to the one you already have should be enough : not
    > necessary to purchase a bigger with more plugs.
    > It's definitely worth trying; don't forget to update /etc/hosts.
    > al.

    Yes, I can disconnect something and test, at least. I will do that in
    the morning. I have just smoked a doob, and going into the wiring tray
    at the moment would be a mistake.

    Donald
    ;<)

+ Reply to Thread