MAndriva 2006 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on MAndriva 2006 - Mandrake ; Hi, I have a desktop with mandriva 2006 and everytime kde starts the kmixer is muted. When I unmute it and logoff the next time kde starts the kmixer is muted again. How can I fix his ?...

  1. MAndriva 2006

    Hi,
    I have a desktop with mandriva 2006 and everytime kde starts the kmixer is
    muted. When I unmute it and logoff the next time kde starts the kmixer is
    muted again. How can I fix his ?

  2. Re: MAndriva 2006

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:02:08 +0200, Martje wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a desktop with mandriva 2006 and everytime kde starts the kmixer is
    > muted. When I unmute it and logoff the next time kde starts the kmixer is
    > muted again. How can I fix his ?

    man alsactl

  3. Re: MAndriva 2006

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:02:08 +0200, Martje wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have a desktop with mandriva 2006 and everytime kde starts the kmixer
    >> is muted. When I unmute it and logoff the next time kde starts the kmixer
    >> is muted again. How can I fix his ?

    > man alsactl

    Hello,

    Gnome or KDE?
    How many users at the same time? Sound only works for the first logged in
    user.

    Ciao @+

  4. Re: MAndriva 2006

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:40:52 +0200, F8BOE wrote:

    >>> I have a desktop with mandriva 2006 and everytime kde starts the kmixer
    >>> is muted. When I unmute it and logoff the next time kde starts the kmixer
    >>> is muted again. How can I fix his ?

    >> man alsactl

    > Gnome or KDE?

    Makes no difference.

    > How many users at the same time?

    Doesn't matter.

    > Sound only works for the first logged in user.

    Set things up as root, and use "alsactl store" to store the settings.
    Then use "alsactl restore" at boot up (probably in rc.local) to set things
    up at every boot. Should work fine. There may be other issues as well,
    such as adding (all) users to the "audio" group...

  5. Re: MAndriva 2006

    On 2007-04-28, F8BOE wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:02:08 +0200, Martje wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have a desktop with mandriva 2006 and everytime kde starts the kmixer
    >>> is muted. When I unmute it and logoff the next time kde starts the kmixer
    >>> is muted again. How can I fix his ?

    >> man alsactl
    >>

    > Hello,
    >
    > Gnome or KDE?
    > How many users at the same time? Sound only works for the first logged in
    > user.

    There are two possible reasons for sound working for only
    the first user:

    - The usermode package with its broken assumptions about
    what it means to be logged in. This package adjusts
    device file permissions based on who it _thinks_ is
    logged in, and it can only deal with one user at a time.
    I'm sure Bill Gates thinks that's an excellent
    architecture. :-(

    - Gnome and KDE run background processes to mangle^Wmanage
    access to the sound card. If the sound card allows only
    one process to open it, or if the background process
    takes exclusive control of the sound card, other users
    won't be able to use it.

    I imagine we could get an interesting discussion about
    exactly _what_ should happen if multiple users on the same
    system try to use sound at the same time. Possibilities
    might include: first one works, last one works, all sound
    gets mixed together, ...

    I understand it is at least theoretically possible to build
    a multi-headed system with a several users and separate
    keyboard, mouse, monitor, and sound ports for each user.
    I'm not sure how extensively you need to modify things to do
    that.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  6. Re: MAndriva 2006

    On Apr 28, 9:07 am, Dan C wrote:
    > There may be other issues as well,
    > such as adding (all) users to the "audio" group...

    I could never understand why even up to Mandriva 2007, that *this* has
    to be done. IMHO, sound should work for each and every user 'out of
    the box'. Or did some guy in Linux developerland decide, For security
    reasons, let us assume all users are deaf and don't need no steenkin
    audio cues in their GUIs, unless root decides this or that person is
    worthy of hearing all these wondrous clips and wav's.

    Sound should just work OUT of the BOX, even after the second user has
    been added (after root and user-number-1).

  7. Re: MAndriva 2006

    On 2007-05-04, shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 28, 9:07 am, Dan C wrote:
    >> There may be other issues as well,
    >> such as adding (all) users to the "audio" group...

    > I could never understand why even up to Mandriva 2007, that *this* has
    > to be done. IMHO, sound should work for each and every user 'out of
    > the box'. Or did some guy in Linux developerland decide, For security
    > reasons, let us assume all users are deaf and don't need no steenkin
    > audio cues in their GUIs, unless root decides this or that person is
    > worthy of hearing all these wondrous clips and wav's.
    >
    > Sound should just work OUT of the BOX, even after the second user has
    > been added (after root and user-number-1).

    Perhaps some consideration was given to the fact that some
    machines use sound for serious stuff (DJing, digitizing from
    vinyl records or open reel tape, capturing audio history,
    etc.) Not everyone uses sound for such frivolous nonsense
    as squeaks, chirps, burps, and such for a click-and-drool
    GUI "desktop".

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  8. Re: MAndriva 2006

    Dan C a écrit :
    > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:02:08 +0200, Martje wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have a desktop with mandriva 2006 and everytime kde starts the kmixer is
    >> muted. When I unmute it and logoff the next time kde starts the kmixer is
    >> muted again. How can I fix his ?

    > man alsactl

    What a useful answer, I'll sleep better from now on.
    Remind me to ask Dan C next time I have a problem with my computer.

  9. Re: MAndriva 2006

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 00:27:47 +0200, none wrote:

    >>> I have a desktop with mandriva 2006 and everytime kde starts the kmixer
    >>> is muted. When I unmute it and logoff the next time kde starts the
    >>> kmixer is muted again. How can I fix his ?

    >> man alsactl

    > What a useful answer, I'll sleep better from now on. Remind me to ask Dan
    > C next time I have a problem with my computer.

    It is in fact a very useful answer, and contains the fix for his problem.
    Why the sarcasm?

  10. Re: MAndriva 2006

    On May 4, 2:03 pm, "Robert M. Riches Jr."
    wrote:
    > On 2007-05-04, shed...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > On Apr 28, 9:07 am, Dan C wrote:
    > >> There may be other issues as well,
    > >> such as adding (all) users to the "audio" group...

    > > I could never understand why even up to Mandriva 2007, that *this* has
    > > to be done. IMHO, sound should work for each and every user 'out of
    > > the box'. Or did some guy in Linux developerland decide, For security
    > > reasons, let us assume all users are deaf and don't need no steenkin
    > > audio cues in their GUIs, unless root decides this or that person is
    > > worthy of hearing all these wondrous clips and wav's.

    > > Sound should just work OUT of the BOX, even after the second user has
    > > been added (after root and user-number-1).

    > Perhaps some consideration was given to the fact that some
    > machines use sound for serious stuff (DJing, digitizing from
    > vinyl records or open reel tape, capturing audio history,
    > etc.)

    It still brings me back to my main point, though, about having to add
    users to audio group, which seems non-intuitive for a home user. In
    your scenario, the second profile looking to do exactly what you've
    listed, would go, WTF, where's my sound? when he definitely knows that
    the first user (or same guy different logon) gets all the chirps and
    whooshes and big-badda-booms.

+ Reply to Thread