Soundcard SB16 not recognised - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Soundcard SB16 not recognised - Mandrake ; Hi, Mandriva 2007 Powerpack. For a dual soundcard config I need to use an old SB16 (ISA PNP) card in addition to a PCI sound card. I can see the SB card being detected in /var/log/messages , but no driver ...

  1. Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    Hi,

    Mandriva 2007 Powerpack. For a dual soundcard config I need to use an old
    SB16 (ISA PNP) card in addition to a PCI sound card. I can see the SB card
    being detected in /var/log/messages , but no driver is loaded. If I modprobe
    snd-sb16 it shows up in Alsa, but harddrake2 still doesn't show it.
    Questions:
    - Why isn't the driver loaded?
    - Why doesn't harddrake2 show the card?
    - If you have multiple sound cards, are there mixers which allow you to work
    with both?
    - Does wine support multiple cards?

    Thanks, Mat Nieuwenhoven

  2. Re: Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:17:53 -0400, Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:

    > Mandriva 2007 Powerpack. For a dual soundcard config I need to use an old
    > SB16 (ISA PNP) card in addition to a PCI sound card. I can see the SB card
    > being detected in /var/log/messages , but no driver is loaded. If I modprobe
    > - Why isn't the driver loaded?
    > - Why doesn't harddrake2 show the card?

    I'd check your bios settings for pnp aware os (set to no), and ensure
    the irq the sb card is set to use, has been reserved for isa use.

    > - If you have multiple sound cards, are there mixers which allow you to work
    > with both?
    > - Does wine support multiple cards?

    I've never used a system with multiple sound cards enabled, so I can't
    help with this part.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:38:24 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:17:53 -0400, Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
    >
    >> Mandriva 2007 Powerpack. For a dual soundcard config I need to use an old
    >> SB16 (ISA PNP) card in addition to a PCI sound card. I can see the SB card
    >> being detected in /var/log/messages , but no driver is loaded. If I modprobe
    >> - Why isn't the driver loaded?
    >> - Why doesn't harddrake2 show the card?

    >I'd check your bios settings for pnp aware os (set to no)

    That's how it was set.

    >. and ensure the irq the sb card is set to use, has been reserved for isa use.

    Because this is a Plug&Play card (without jumpers), the BIOS had to be set to
    leave all to ISAPNP/PCI. I did try 'ISA' but then it was worse.
    A colleague suggested I might have to tweak udev rules (the card doesn't show
    up under /sys even afetr loading the module).

    >> - If you have multiple sound cards, are there mixers which allow you to work
    >> with both?
    >> - Does wine support multiple cards?

    >I've never used a system with multiple sound cards enabled, so I can't
    >help with this part.

    Thanks for thinking with me.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  4. Re: Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    I've used AWE64 ISA cards successfully, try installing sndconfig and running
    that to detect and configure rather than harddrake.

  5. Re: Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:47:12 +0100, Simon J. Rowe wrote:

    >I've used AWE64 ISA cards successfully, try installing sndconfig and running
    >that to detect and configure rather than harddrake.

    I could install sndconfig allright, but when it tried to detect ISA PNP
    cards, it found none, and instead came with a PCI card 0:0 . I guess this is
    why it isn't included.

    After modprobe snd-sb16, /sys shows a pnp0 device with the proper name,
    interrupt and dma, as audio1 . udev at info level doesn't put anything useful
    in /var/log/messages for this modprobe. I guess I have to edit in /etc to
    have the module loaded at startup.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  6. Re: Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    Quoth Mat Nieuwenhoven :

    > - If you have multiple sound cards, are there mixers which allow you to
    > work with both?

    I have alsamixer & kmix, they both work this way for me.

    > - Does wine support multiple cards?

    Dunno, but alsa does. Check out the ALSA web site for excellent
    documentation. (Yep, RTFM! ;-)

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  7. Re: Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:22:34 GMT, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    >Quoth Mat Nieuwenhoven :
    >

    >> - If you have multiple sound cards, are there mixers which allow you to
    >> work with both?

    >I have alsamixer & kmix, they both work this way for me.

    Thanks, kmix allows working with both and switching on the fly. alsamixer
    required selection at startup which is slightle less convenient.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  8. Re: Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:58:59 +0200 (CEST), Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:47:12 +0100, Simon J. Rowe wrote:
    >
    >>I've used AWE64 ISA cards successfully, try installing sndconfig and running
    >>that to detect and configure rather than harddrake.

    >I could install sndconfig allright, but when it tried to detect ISA PNP
    >cards, it found none, and instead came with a PCI card 0:0 . I guess this is
    >why it isn't included.
    >
    >After modprobe snd-sb16, /sys shows a pnp0 device with the proper name,
    >interrupt and dma, as audio1 . udev at info level doesn't put anything useful
    >in /var/log/messages for this modprobe. I guess I have to edit in /etc to
    >have the module loaded at startup.

    I've got them both loaded now, but I am still baffled by some behaviour:
    - if I don't put snd-sb16 in /etc/modprobe.preload, only the au8820 card
    module is loaded, even though the kernel detects both during startup.
    - if I do put snd-sb16 in modprobe.preload, it is loaded, but au8820 isn't
    anymore.
    - Why doesn't harddrake2 show the sb16 card if the kernel detects it? It
    would be very nice if it showed detected hardware even if there is no driver
    for it; if find that very helpful in Window's device manager.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  9. Re: Soundcard SB16 not recognised

    On Apr 26, 12:23 am, "Mat Nieuwenhoven"
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:58:59 +0200 (CEST), Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
    > >On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:47:12 +0100, Simon J. Rowe wrote:

    > >>I've used AWE64 ISA cards successfully, try installing sndconfig and running
    > >>that to detect and configure rather than harddrake.

    > >I could install sndconfig allright, but when it tried to detect ISA PNP
    > >cards, it found none, and instead came with a PCI card 0:0 . I guess this is
    > >why it isn't included.

    > >After modprobe snd-sb16, /sys shows a pnp0 device with the proper name,
    > >interrupt and dma, as audio1 . udev at info level doesn't put anything useful
    > >in /var/log/messages for this modprobe. I guess I have to edit in /etc to
    > >have the module loaded at startup.

    > I've got them both loaded now, but I am still baffled by some behaviour:
    > - if I don't put snd-sb16 in /etc/modprobe.preload, only the au8820 card
    > module is loaded, even though the kernel detects both during startup.
    > - if I do put snd-sb16 in modprobe.preload, it is loaded, but au8820 isn't
    > anymore.
    > - Why doesn't harddrake2 show the sb16 card if the kernel detects it? It
    > would be very nice if it showed detected hardware even if there is no driver
    > for it; if find that very helpful in Window's device manager.

    Back then I also had an SB (with CD! really ancient) card, and I
    remember even in those days it was considered 'old' being ISA and DMA-
    driven. BUt I remember I HAD to enter boot parameters AT THE PROMPT
    (yep, brush up on the Boot parameter HOWTO) if you want the card to
    'exist' and not just 'be detected'. I even hardwired the params into
    my lilo.conf which included the io, IRQ, and DMA settings so that
    sndconfig will pick it up later on. I was a noobie then and to me it
    'felt' that the boot params would force those settings and limit them
    to my good ol sb and knock out any one else even thinking of grabbing
    DMA and/or IRQs. But like the guy said, check out the ALSA
    documentation because even that has alsa-oss modules so that those
    cards of yours can coexist. I have long since upgraded and just let
    mandriva detect my HW.

+ Reply to Thread