Explore my hard drive - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Explore my hard drive - Mandrake ; Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and who's on third )?...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Explore my hard drive

  1. Explore my hard drive

    Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    who's on third )?



  2. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:28:44 +0000, Steve Zygote wrote:

    > Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc
    > (and who's on third )?


    Who's on first. What's on second.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a
    month or two, but never lost."


  3. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:28:44 GMT, Steve Zygote wrote:
    > Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    > who's on third )?


    ------- standard poor post include text follows -----------

    Other people's Free advice:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You may get more helpful answers when you provide details pertaining
    to your problem, desktop (gnome,kde,..), command used, exact error messages,..
    vendor release (10.x, 2006, 2007).

    If running Mandriva, you could include /etc/product.id, break the line
    in half for posting.
    Other Distributiion have /etc/*release or /etc/*verision
    or try the command lsb_release -a


    http://livinginternet.com/u/ua.htm <--- Advanced Usenet Usage
    http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html <--- Good Usenet etiquette

    and do bookmark this very large, Frequently Asked Questions (faq) search engine
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    key words(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    --------------- end standard include text ----------------------

    You realy need to left, center, right click on all your desktop icons,
    middle of desktop and task bar.
    Not to mention going through all the selections in the desktop menu.

    put / in the url/address box of your browser if nothing else.


    locate is another tool for hunting stuff. For extra points, click up a
    terminal and

    man locate
    man grep

    After reading the above you can find any index files for browsing with

    locate index.htm

    just cut/paste result into your browser.



    If you would like to generate an index.htm of documentation on your
    disk look here

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    slrnbt899u.be.BitTwister@wb.home in the Message ID box.

    Today's Tip of the Day, very large
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    recommend good book in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    Searched English messages for recommend good book group:*linux*.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 6,330. Search took 1.56 seconds.


  4. Re: Explore my hard drive

    "Steve Zygote" writes:

    >Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    >who's on third )?


    Open up your computer and take out the hard drive. remove the cover screws
    and lift it and look at the disc.
    If it has a third disc you can look at that at the same time.
    ;-)
    Otherwise ls, find, df, du,....




  5. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:28:44 -0400, Steve Zygote wrote:

    > Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    > who's on third )?


    Try konqueror. It can be used to view local files, websites, etc, with
    a number of user interfaces to choose from.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  6. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On 2007-04-09, Steve Zygote wrote:
    > Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    > who's on third )?


    Can you see a 'Home' icon on your Mandriva desktop?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:28:44 +0000, Steve Zygote wrote:

    > Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    > who's on third )?


    there is a couple of programs for this konsole,filerunner,konqueror.
    I have always liked filerunner because it has a bunch of easy to use tools.

  8. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:09:02 +0000, croaker wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:28:44 +0000, Steve Zygote wrote:
    >
    >> Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    >> who's on third )?

    >
    > there is a couple of programs for this konsole,filerunner,konqueror.
    > I have always liked filerunner because it has a bunch of easy to use tools.


    I use FileRunner too. Just wish they'd fix it and XWC for large files. XWC
    just won't display them. Fillerrunner crashes if you try and go there.

    Bugreport for FileRunner version 2.5.1 created Tue Nov 21 04:44:07 PM CST 2006.

    Error string : integer value too large to represent

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm


  9. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On 2007-04-09, Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:09:02 +0000, croaker wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:28:44 +0000, Steve Zygote wrote:
    >>
    >>> Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    >>> who's on third )?

    >>
    >> there is a couple of programs for this konsole,filerunner,konqueror.
    >> I have always liked filerunner because it has a bunch of easy to use tools.

    >
    > I use FileRunner too. Just wish they'd fix it and XWC for large files. XWC
    > just won't display them. Fillerrunner crashes if you try and go there.
    >
    > Bugreport for FileRunner version 2.5.1 created Tue Nov 21 04:44:07 PM CST 2006.
    >
    > Error string : integer value too large to represent


    I use mc as my preferred file manager (it runs in a console). There are
    several file managers to choose from - but Mandriva usually defaults to
    using Konqueror in file-manager mode, and that's what runs if you click on
    the 'home' icon on the KDE desktop.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~

  10. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On Apr 9, 12:06 pm, Unruh wrote:
    > "Steve Zygote" writes:
    > >Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    > >who's on third )?

    >
    > Open up your computer and take out the hard drive. remove the cover screws
    > and lift it and look at the disc.
    > If it has a third disc you can look at that at the same time.
    > ;-)
    > Otherwise ls, find, df, du,....


    ....newbie here...
    I also wanted to explore my hd as the OP I tryed your
    suggestion ...now Mandriva does not boot!
    should I put it back in...screws and all?...


  11. Re: Explore my hard drive

    Santo wrote:
    > On Apr 9, 12:06 pm, Unruh wrote:
    >> "Steve Zygote" writes:
    >>> Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    >>> who's on third )?

    >> Open up your computer and take out the hard drive. remove the cover screws
    >> and lift it and look at the disc.
    >> If it has a third disc you can look at that at the same time.
    >> ;-)
    >> Otherwise ls, find, df, du,....

    >
    > ...newbie here...
    > I also wanted to explore my hd as the OP I tryed your
    > suggestion ...now Mandriva does not boot!
    > should I put it back in...screws and all?...
    >


    Just do not miss any bits. They tend to fall off the platter when you
    open it, and must be replaced correctly for it to work.

    Donald

  12. Re: Explore my hard drive

    On 2007-04-10, donald tees wrote:
    > Santo wrote:
    >> On Apr 9, 12:06 pm, Unruh wrote:
    >>> "Steve Zygote" writes:
    >>>> Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    >>>> who's on third )?
    >>> Open up your computer and take out the hard drive. remove the cover screws
    >>> and lift it and look at the disc.
    >>> If it has a third disc you can look at that at the same time.
    >>> ;-)
    >>> Otherwise ls, find, df, du,....

    >>
    >> ...newbie here...
    >> I also wanted to explore my hd as the OP I tryed your
    >> suggestion ...now Mandriva does not boot!
    >> should I put it back in...screws and all?...
    >>

    >
    > Just do not miss any bits. They tend to fall off the platter when you
    > open it, and must be replaced correctly for it to work.


    If you don't want to bother putting all the screws back
    together, just get some very strong magnets to hold the case
    together. :-) :-)

    (Please don't actually try that!)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  13. Re: Explore my hard drive

    "Robert M. Riches Jr." writes:

    > On 2007-04-10, donald tees wrote:
    >> Santo wrote:
    >>> On Apr 9, 12:06 pm, Unruh wrote:
    >>>> "Steve Zygote" writes:
    >>>>> Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    >>>>> who's on third )?
    >>>> Open up your computer and take out the hard drive. remove the cover screws
    >>>> and lift it and look at the disc.
    >>>> If it has a third disc you can look at that at the same time.
    >>>> ;-)
    >>>> Otherwise ls, find, df, du,....
    >>>
    >>> ...newbie here...
    >>> I also wanted to explore my hd as the OP I tryed your
    >>> suggestion ...now Mandriva does not boot!
    >>> should I put it back in...screws and all?...
    >>>

    >>
    >> Just do not miss any bits. They tend to fall off the platter when you
    >> open it, and must be replaced correctly for it to work.

    >
    > If you don't want to bother putting all the screws back
    > together, just get some very strong magnets to hold the case
    > together. :-) :-)
    >
    > (Please don't actually try that!)


    I don't believe the case is magnetic.
    The magnets inside the disk drive are
    strong enough to hurt you though.

    Maybe not the way you think.
    If you take out the 2 magnets, don't get
    your fingers between them.
    They come together pretty violently.

  14. Re: Explore my hard drive

    Steve Zygote wrote:
    > Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    > who's on third )?
    >
    >


    Call the Psychic Friends Network

    --




    Some customized and hard to find rpms here:
    http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p1029971.aspx?view=detail
    (Bandwidth is limited - use it wisely)

    If you grab my rpms please consider signing up via this link
    and getting me some referral points:
    http://www.drivehq.com/secure/signup.aspx?refID=2454535

    RLU #407952

  15. Re: Explore my hard drive

    Unruh wrote:
    > "Steve Zygote" writes:
    >
    >> Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    >> who's on third )?

    >
    > Open up your computer and take out the hard drive. remove the cover screws
    > and lift it and look at the disc.
    > If it has a third disc you can look at that at the same time.
    > ;-)
    > Otherwise ls, find, df, du,....
    >
    >
    >

    Would you recommend a quick clean while you're in
    there? Would a rinse under the tap with a bit of
    washing-up liquid (to shift the stubborn marks) be
    OK?

    Andy J.

  16. Re: Explore my hard drive

    "Unruh" wrote in message
    news:OvtSh.56945$__3.11275@edtnps90...
    > "Steve Zygote" writes:
    >
    >>Explore (sic) my hard drive. How do I go about seeing what's on disc (and
    >>who's on third )?

    >
    > Open up your computer and take out the hard drive. remove the cover screws
    > and lift it and look at the disc.
    > If it has a third disc you can look at that at the same time.
    > ;-)
    > Otherwise ls, find, df, du,....
    >
    >


    I did that! Man, talk about a great luncheon meat slicer! Totally awesome,
    dude!



+ Reply to Thread