Re: Install Mandriva One Linux without Burning cd - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Re: Install Mandriva One Linux without Burning cd - Mandrake ; On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:16:07 -0500, Dan Espen wrote: > > I have some RW CDs but I stopped using them. > They seem to work as long as you read and write > from the same drive, but ...

  1. Re: Install Mandriva One Linux without Burning cd

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:16:07 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

    > I have some RW CDs but I stopped using them.
    > They seem to work as long as you read and write
    > from the same drive, but I've had very little luck
    > burning on one CD drive and reading on another.

    I have see the same problem on floppy drives.
    Write on older drive and read anywhere.
    Write on newer drive and have problematic reads on older drives.

    Older drives with the fatter heads have a hard time reading tracks
    written on newer drives with narrower read/write heads.

  2. Re: Install Mandriva One Linux without Burning cd

    On 2007-03-01, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:16:07 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
    >>
    >> I have some RW CDs but I stopped using them.
    >> They seem to work as long as you read and write
    >> from the same drive, but I've had very little luck
    >> burning on one CD drive and reading on another.

    > I have see the same problem on floppy drives.
    > Write on older drive and read anywhere.
    > Write on newer drive and have problematic reads on older drives.
    >
    > Older drives with the fatter heads have a hard time reading tracks
    > written on newer drives with narrower read/write heads.

    I don't have specific experience with this problem with
    floppies, but I have an idea that might help. My theory is
    the narrow heads leave magnetized strips off to the sides
    from some earlier formatting or write operation. One
    solution would be to completely wipe the floppy, then do a
    complete format and write operation with the newer
    narrow-headed drive (and don't let a wide-headed drive write
    to it). To wipe the floppy, use a bulk tape eraser.

    If you can't find a bulk tape eraser, you can build one out
    of a large, old power transformer by taking the core apart
    and putting (most of) the E-shaped pieces back in facing the
    same direction. Use the side with the open poles to wipe
    the floppy. Remove wrist watch while using it. Don't leave
    it powered for more than a 10-20 seconds at a time, because
    it could overheat if run too long without time to cool down.
    YMMV. At your own risk. Etc.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net