Converting ext2 to ext3 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Converting ext2 to ext3 - Mandrake ; Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs: umount /dev/hdbX tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX in fstab: ext2 > ext3 I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at ...

  1. Converting ext2 to ext3

    Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs:

    umount /dev/hdbX
    tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    in fstab: ext2 > ext3

    I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.
    However the checks still occur after 40 mounts or so. If i change the
    sixth option in fstab from 2 to 0, the partitions would not be checked,
    but is the ext3 journal still being replayed then at boot ? Does ext3
    need any filesystem check to replay the journal, or does the replay
    happen automatically?

    TIA, Max.

  2. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
    I was able to see Maxim Heijndijk say:

    > Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs:
    >
    > umount /dev/hdbX
    > tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    > tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    > in fstab: ext2 > ext3
    >
    > I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.
    > However the checks still occur after 40 mounts or so. If i change the
    > sixth option in fstab from 2 to 0, the partitions would not be checked,
    > but is the ext3 journal still being replayed then at boot ? Does ext3
    > need any filesystem check to replay the journal, or does the replay
    > happen automatically?

    Just leave it as 2 and the filesystem will be checked as needed (which is
    not very often). You didn't need the -i setting either (I think no time
    checking is a default). It will check after a number of mounts anyway (-c
    option) which isn't a good idea to disable. Default is about 30 mounts I
    think. Read the man page on the subject and the advice on disabling mount
    count.

    tim

    --
    Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64

  3. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    Tim Fairchild writes:

    >Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
    >I was able to see Maxim Heijndijk say:

    >> Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs:
    >>
    >> umount /dev/hdbX
    >> tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    >> tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    >> in fstab: ext2 > ext3
    >>
    >> I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.
    >> However the checks still occur after 40 mounts or so. If i change the
    >> sixth option in fstab from 2 to 0, the partitions would not be checked,
    >> but is the ext3 journal still being replayed then at boot ? Does ext3
    >> need any filesystem check to replay the journal, or does the replay
    >> happen automatically?

    >Just leave it as 2 and the filesystem will be checked as needed (which is
    >not very often). You didn't need the -i setting either (I think no time
    >checking is a default). It will check after a number of mounts anyway (-c
    >option) which isn't a good idea to disable. Default is about 30 mounts I
    >think. Read the man page on the subject and the advice on disabling mount
    >count.

    He apparently has the habit of just switching the machine off rather than
    using the shutdown. This will leave his filesystem messed up and will
    require a check on each boot. It is an idiotic thing to do, but apparently
    he likes living on the edge.

    >tim

    >--
    >Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
    >Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64
    >Linux 2.6.20.1 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
    >NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 1.0-9746

  4. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    On 2007-02-27, Unruh wrote:

    > He apparently has the habit of just switching the machine off rather than
    > using the shutdown. This will leave his filesystem messed up and will
    > require a check on each boot. It is an idiotic thing to do, but apparently
    > he likes living on the edge.

    If there's room in the case for a little added hardware, one
    solution to that would be a relay connected such that when
    the case fan is powered up the reset and power buttons don't
    work. I've toyed with doing that for my systems to prevent
    accidental button events.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  5. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
    I was able to see Unruh say:

    > Tim Fairchild writes:
    >
    >>Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
    >>I was able to see Maxim Heijndijk say:

    >>> Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with
    >>> tune2fs:
    >>>
    >>> umount /dev/hdbX
    >>> tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    >>> tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    >>> in fstab: ext2 > ext3
    >>>
    >>> I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.
    >>> However the checks still occur after 40 mounts or so. If i change the
    >>> sixth option in fstab from 2 to 0, the partitions would not be checked,
    >>> but is the ext3 journal still being replayed then at boot ? Does ext3
    >>> need any filesystem check to replay the journal, or does the replay
    >>> happen automatically?

    >>Just leave it as 2 and the filesystem will be checked as needed (which is
    >>not very often). You didn't need the -i setting either (I think no time
    >>checking is a default). It will check after a number of mounts anyway (-c
    >>option) which isn't a good idea to disable. Default is about 30 mounts I
    >>think. Read the man page on the subject and the advice on disabling mount
    >>count.

    > He apparently has the habit of just switching the machine off rather than
    > using the shutdown. This will leave his filesystem messed up and will
    > require a check on each boot. It is an idiotic thing to do, but apparently
    > he likes living on the edge.

    Ah. How frikken hard is it to just shut down. Power button should do a
    shutdown anyway.

    --
    Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64
    Linux 2.6.20.1 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
    NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 1.0-9746

  6. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    Maxim Heijndijk wrote:
    > Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs:
    >
    > umount /dev/hdbX
    > tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    > tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    > in fstab: ext2 > ext3
    >
    > I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.

    How big is "very large"?
    Why are the filesystems being checked so extensively?

    Following a normal shutdown the file system check is usually very, very
    fast. The only reasons I can think of why yours might not be so quick
    is if:

    1. You are shutting off your machine at the power strip instead of by
    "shutdown" or "poweroff".
    2. By very large, you mean HUGE (terabytes?)

    (And I'm just guessing on the second one, as I've never had a terabyte
    ext2 to worry about.)

    It's normal to check the file system after so many reboots, and probably
    not a good idea to disable it.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  7. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    Maxim Heijndijk schreef:

    > Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs:
    >
    > umount /dev/hdbX
    > tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    > tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    > in fstab: ext2 > ext3
    >
    > I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.
    > However the checks still occur after 40 mounts or so. If i change the
    > sixth option in fstab from 2 to 0, the partitions would not be checked,
    > but is the ext3 journal still being replayed then at boot ? Does ext3
    > need any filesystem check to replay the journal, or does the replay
    > happen automatically?
    >
    > TIA, Max.

    Some misunderstandings arose, I do not hard reset my computer, I always
    shutdown cleanly. The disks (200 and 250 GB) are periodically checked
    after 30 mounts. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes per disk, which I
    just find annoying. So I turned to ext3 and took the advice from the
    following page, section 5.4:

    http://puggy.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/ext3-5.html

    It says you can actually disable checks with "tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdxX" to
    avoid downtime, but that does not work o my Mandriva 2007 system, the
    disks are still checked. I can imagine that such behaviour would be very
    undesirable with a commercial server, or something like that, or do they
    use other filesystems?

    Regards, Max.

  8. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:55:23 -0500, Maxim Heijndijk wrote:

    > Some misunderstandings arose, I do not hard reset my computer, I always
    > shutdown cleanly. The disks (200 and 250 GB) are periodically checked
    > after 30 mounts. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes per disk, which I
    > just find annoying. So I turned to ext3 and took the advice from the
    > following page, section 5.4:

    I'm using reiserfs, instead of ext3, specifically because of the above.
    On a normal bootup, the fsck only takes a few seconds.

    I don't think you can convert without backup/restore though.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
    I was able to see Maxim Heijndijk say:

    > Maxim Heijndijk schreef:
    >
    >> Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs:
    >>
    >> umount /dev/hdbX
    >> tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    >> tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    >> in fstab: ext2 > ext3
    >>
    >> I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.
    >> However the checks still occur after 40 mounts or so. If i change the
    >> sixth option in fstab from 2 to 0, the partitions would not be checked,
    >> but is the ext3 journal still being replayed then at boot ? Does ext3
    >> need any filesystem check to replay the journal, or does the replay
    >> happen automatically?
    >>
    >> TIA, Max.

    > Some misunderstandings arose, I do not hard reset my computer, I always
    > shutdown cleanly. The disks (200 and 250 GB) are periodically checked
    > after 30 mounts. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes per disk, which I
    > just find annoying. So I turned to ext3 and took the advice from the
    > following page, section 5.4:
    >
    > http://puggy.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/ext3-5.html
    >
    > It says you can actually disable checks with "tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdxX" to
    > avoid downtime, but that does not work o my Mandriva 2007 system, the
    > disks are still checked. I can imagine that such behaviour would be very
    > undesirable with a commercial server, or something like that, or do they
    > use other filesystems?

    The -i option only stops timed checks, which is a default anyway AFAIK.

    You would be looking for the -c option I think: -c 0

    --
    Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64
    Linux 2.6.20.1 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
    NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 1.0-9746

+ Reply to Thread