Converting ext2 to ext3 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Converting ext2 to ext3 - Mandrake ; Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs: umount /dev/hdbX tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX in fstab: ext2 > ext3 I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at ...

  1. Converting ext2 to ext3

    Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs:

    umount /dev/hdbX
    tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    in fstab: ext2 > ext3

    I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.
    However the checks still occur after 40 mounts or so. If i change the
    sixth option in fstab from 1 to 0, the partitions would not be checked,
    but is the ext3 journal still being replayed then at boot ? Does ext3
    need any filesystem check to replay the journal, or does the replay
    happen automatically?

    TIA, Max.

  2. Re: Converting ext2 to ext3

    Maxim Heijndijk writes:

    >Hi, I have converted two very large ext2 partitions to ext3 with tune2fs:

    >umount /dev/hdbX
    >tune2fs -j /dev/hdbX
    >tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdbX
    >in fstab: ext2 > ext3

    >I have done this to get rid of the lengthy filesystem checks at boot.
    >However the checks still occur after 40 mounts or so. If i change the
    >sixth option in fstab from 1 to 0, the partitions would not be checked,
    >but is the ext3 journal still being replayed then at boot ? Does ext3
    >need any filesystem check to replay the journal, or does the replay
    >happen automatically?

    The journal needs to be replayed only if you shut down your filesystem
    inproperly. Otherwise there is nothing to replay.
    The check after 40 mounts or so is in case some inconsistancy has crept
    into the filesystem ( eg cosmic rays) which should be found and fixed
    before your disk gets totally messed up. This has nothing to do with ext2
    or 3

    >TIA, Max.

+ Reply to Thread